Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by greenyellow »

I think they do but they'd likely try poaching someone else if UCLA is a no-go.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

pudgejeff wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:The group that pushed for NIL opportunities is now pushing the UC Regents to reject UCLA's move to the Big Ten.
They’re 100% correct, this was a silly and impatient move by USC and UCLA (mainly USC). If somehow USC and UCLA are forced to stay in the PAC-12 I could see Kliavkoff getting a tv/streaming deal as good as the B1G with the new coaches in the conference, mainly PrimeTime.

SC is private. No one is forcing them to stay.
I think the question is, does the BIG take them without UCLA?
That’s exactly what I meant. B1G won’t take USC alone, Notre Dame won’t join the B1G, and they’d likely go after Oregon and Washington in that case and I could potentially see them refusing, leaving USC to be stuck in the PAC-12.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:The group that pushed for NIL opportunities is now pushing the UC Regents to reject UCLA's move to the Big Ten.
They’re 100% correct, this was a silly and impatient move by USC and UCLA (mainly USC). If somehow USC and UCLA are forced to stay in the PAC-12 I could see Kliavkoff getting a tv/streaming deal as good as the B1G with the new coaches in the conference, mainly PrimeTime.

That’s exactly what I meant. B1G won’t take USC alone, Notre Dame won’t join the B1G, and they’d likely go after Oregon and Washington in that case and I could potentially see them refusing, leaving USC to be stuck in the PAC-12.
TBF I'm not sure if Oregon and Washington would refuse to leave the Pac-12, even tho that's actually the best option for them in case USC and UCLA are forced to stay, since as y'all said, the conference could have a good media deal and competition in the Pac-12 is much weaker than in the Big Ten, and with the expanded playoffs it would make the Pac-12 representation be frequent.

But my point is, I don't know if UO and UDub would actually choose to stay in the Pac-12 considering how much they tried leaving it during the last few months.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

IF UCLA were to stay I don't think it does anything to keep USC - they're leaving and they're going to make a lot more $ from the B1G Media Rights than they will from the PAC. I'm actually waiting for the big let-down when we find that the Big 15 gets a higher number than we do and Kliavakoff shows up in soiled pants.

Oregon isn't going to leave just to add 12M/year in travel expenses and get 50% of what the B1G is paying Indiana.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

DuckzRule wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:

TBF I'm not sure if Oregon and Washington would refuse to leave the Pac-12, even tho that's actually the best option for them in case USC and UCLA are forced to stay, since as y'all said, the conference could have a good media deal and competition in the Pac-12 is much weaker than in the Big Ten, and with the expanded playoffs it would make the Pac-12 representation be frequent.

But my point is, I don't know if UO and UDub would actually choose to stay in the Pac-12 considering how much they tried leaving it during the last few months.
Did they actually try all that hard to leave? That's just speculation. Also, is the Pac -12 weaker? The Pac-12 has 6 ranked teams, the B1G has 3.
Besides a money grab, there is zero reason for any school to leave. UCLA would be wise to stay, but nobody can force USC.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

squintsdd wrote: Did they actually try all that hard to leave? That's just speculation. Also, is the Pac -12 weaker? The Pac-12 has 6 ranked teams, the B1G has 3.
Besides a money grab, there is zero reason for any school to leave. UCLA would be wise to stay, but nobody can force USC.
You can't be seriously arguing that the B1G, with 2 teams in the CFP AND taking 2 of the 6 ranked Pac teams is in a better spot.

We'll be lucky to get half of what the B1G will be paying Indiana and Maryland as the eye-balls were not on the PAC this year at all. The B1G and Big 15 really showed out in tv ratings.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:
squintsdd wrote: Did they actually try all that hard to leave? That's just speculation. Also, is the Pac -12 weaker? The Pac-12 has 6 ranked teams, the B1G has 3.
You can't be seriously arguing that the B1G, with 2 teams in the CFP AND taking 2 of the 6 ranked Pac teams is in a better spot.

We'll be lucky to get half of what the B1G will be paying Indiana and Maryland as the eye-balls were not on the PAC this year at all. The B1G and Big 15 really showed out in tv ratings.
I can and am. Sure they're in the playoffs, but who did the play? Absolutely nobody! USC might actually benefit from playing the cupcakes that are in the B1G. As far and viewers, like I said champ, money grab.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I hate to say it but the PAC-12 now has Deion Sanders, that alone brings a lot of eyeballs to PAC-12 games.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

squintsdd wrote: I can and am. Sure they're in the playoffs, but who did the play? Absolutely nobody! USC might actually benefit from playing the cupcakes that are in the B1G. As far and viewers, like I said champ, money grab.
Okay, sure stick your head in the sand and act like those things are not relevant to the larger picture.

They have 2 teams in the Playoff, we have 0, again. Tell me why the PAC is in a superior position instead of telling me I'm wrong.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I hate to say it but the PAC-12 now has Deion Sanders, that alone brings a lot of eyeballs to PAC-12 games.
I'll be surprised if Colorado actually has a game with over 4M viewers, maybe the USC and Oregon games if CU has a winning record and is ranked at the time but that would be on the back of UO/USC.

The CG was only around 6M, it was pathetic; whereas the SEC, B1G and Big 15 CG's were all Top 10 in viewership on the season. (UO/UGA was around 6.2M)
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:
squintsdd wrote: I can and am. Sure they're in the playoffs, but who did the play? Absolutely nobody! USC might actually benefit from playing the cupcakes that are in the B1G. As far and viewers, like I said champ, money grab.
Okay, sure stick your head in the sand and act like those things are not relevant to the larger picture.

They have 2 teams in the Playoff, we have 0, again. Tell me why the PAC is in a superior position instead of telling me I'm wrong.
Man you're twisting words. I said nothing about being in a superior position. I said the Pac 12 is the stronger conference
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

squintsdd wrote:Man you're twisting words. I said nothing about being in a superior position. I said the Pac 12 is the stronger conference
By what metric though? I just posted quite a few reasons why the B1G is the "stronger" conference; claiming I'm twisting your words is being awfully pedantic.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I hate to say it but the PAC-12 now has Deion Sanders, that alone brings a lot of eyeballs to PAC-12 games.
I'll be surprised if Colorado actually has a game with over 4M viewers, maybe the USC and Oregon games if CU has a winning record and is ranked at the time but that would be on the back of UO/USC.

The CG was only around 6M, it was pathetic; whereas the SEC, B1G and Big 15 CG's were all Top 10 in viewership on the season. (UO/UGA was around 6.2M)
Dang, can’t argue with that. I do expect the PAC-12 to gain more traction as they hopefully compete more in non-conference games and bring in new coaches, especially Deion (who has already gone viral for his opening meeting, no doubt he’ll bring eyes to the conference). But that may be too big of a hill to overcome like you pointed out. PAC-12 is on the rise IMO, especially if the LA schools stay, but that doesn’t appear to be enough to compete with the B1G and SEC for viewership. A big issue which the PAC-12 will never be able to overcome is that the west coach in general does not love college football like the Midwest and south.

But I will stick with what I’ve said the entire time, Kliavkoff deserved a chance to get a TV/streaming deal. USC should’ve been a tad bit patient and essentially let him know if he doesn’t get a good deal they’re out. It’s a shame the way it happened moreso than the fact that it happened.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Dang, can’t argue with that. I do expect the PAC-12 to gain more traction as they hopefully compete more in non-conference games and bring in new coaches, especially Deion (who has already gone viral for his opening meeting, no doubt he’ll bring eyes to the conference). But that may be too big of a hill to overcome like you pointed out. PAC-12 is on the rise IMO, especially if the LA schools stay, but that doesn’t appear to be enough to compete with the B1G and SEC for viewership. A big issue which the PAC-12 will never be able to overcome is that the west coach in general does not love college football like the Midwest and south.

But I will stick with what I’ve said the entire time, Kliavkoff deserved a chance to get a TV/streaming deal. USC should’ve been a tad bit patient and essentially let him know if he doesn’t get a good deal they’re out. It’s a shame the way it happened moreso than the fact that it happened.
There was just no way he was going to get a $ number even close to what USC is going to get by moving, waiting for that wouldn't have changed much.

The one area where the West Coast can potentially compete is if the interest in Women's sports continues to rise. The WNBA is essentially getting similar TV numbers to the MLS despite the massive TV deal difference from ESPN.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

Duck07 wrote:
squintsdd wrote:Man you're twisting words. I said nothing about being in a superior position. I said the Pac 12 is the stronger conference
By what metric though? I just posted quite a few reasons why the B1G is the "stronger" conference; claiming I'm twisting your words is being awfully pedantic.
You're taking two schools and saying that the B1G is the stronger conference. I would argue that 2 schools do not make a conference. 6 schools in the top 25 vs 3 would tell me that the pac12 is stronger. Now if you want to argue that the B1G is stronger based off media rights and annual earnings, yeah the B1G far and away exceeds the Pac 12.
Saying that I said the pac12 is the "superior" conference is most definitely twisting words. Never did I say that. On the field, based off of end of season results by the ENTIRE conference, the Pac12 is stronger.