DJ Johnson opts out of bowl game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: DJ Johnson opts out of bowl game

Post by OregonFan4Life »

OrTDuck wrote:I think it was the great comedian Bill Burr who once said, "Do you know how absolutely obnoxious I would be without the threat of being blasted in the face?"

Obviously it is wrong but I have a hard time mustering up much sympathy for the Beav fan who thought that was his big chance in life to run his mouth. If indeed the comment crossed a line, even more so. We tend to get caught up in the violence, which I do get. But in essentially at least partially acting as an apologist for the Beav fan, is the net good really being that much more served? Dude might feel empowered to continue to spread more ugliness if left unchecked. At this particular stage in humanity, I am far from feeling every little tiny thing needs to be handled through the "shaky" legal system. Sometimes I believe society is best left letting two people work something out -- they both know the overriding rules.

I don't have a clear conclusion on which I stand, but I can see both sides. I think Mr. Burr goes on to say, on his way home in reflection, every time he did get blasted in the face, he kinda saw maybe he deserved it. Quite possibly a better human for it.
I know I don’t have any sympathy for the Beaver fan, but also do think DJ was stupid. But what it comes down to, one is a dumb random fan, one is a starting player for a top P5 program, both are held to very different standards.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I get that and if DJ went into the stands and popped a guy, I most likely would feel differently. Let DJ shake a few hands and get in his locker room.

I have less sensitivity for OSU fans, who I can absolutely promise were not given a green light to be on the field less than one minute after the game, who instead not only chose to not follow instructions, but also chose to find Duck players to taunt.

OSU wants to allow the celebration, but also wants to run from responsibility. Same thing with Oregon fans. Oregon fans, for the most part, have been there at least a couple times and generally don't take this as a once and a decade chance to run on the field immediately be a jerk. If an Oregon fan does so, I'll be here as well. Save this as needed because the point doesn't change.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

OrTDuck wrote: OSU wants to allow the celebration, but also wants to run from responsibility. Same thing with Oregon fans. Oregon fans, for the most part, have been there at least a couple times and generally don't take this as a once and a decade chance to run on the field immediately be a jerk. If an Oregon fan does so, I'll be here as well. Save this as needed because the point doesn't change.
Don't think that's a consistent standard. Running on the field after a big win and talking trash to the opposing team is not outside of the norm for college football, or sports in general. Obviously, there is a line to talking trash; however, this is not a case where the focus should be on "taking responsibility" by the OSU fan. It's not reasonable and not consistent with nature of sporting activities.

On the flip side, people are justified for calls of responsibility for blind-siding a fan.

As a side note: did DJ ever issue an apology? I'm sure he did but I don't follow things that closely so just wondering.