Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Pac-12/Big 10/Big 12 Realignment

Post by greenyellow »

Interesting bit of news that Fox is involved in negotiations.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

That is interesting.

Makes me think Fox "pulled out" of negotiations early in hopes the Pac-12 would panic and be willing to take a massive haircut for coverage. Maybe Fox came back to the table after that didn't happen. I doubt that Fox wants to be completely shut out of Pac-12 football.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Or JC is just making stuff up at usual, trying to be an insider
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:Or JC is just making stuff up at usual, trying to be an insider
Or maybe he's got better connections than someone like Dodds or others who are tied only to the networks, not the conference itself.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Or JC is just making stuff up at usual, trying to be an insider
Or maybe he's got better connections than someone like Dodds or others who are tied only to the networks, not the conference itself.

If anything he and Wilner have said is true, then why not sign a deal? Why keep waiting months and months? The deal isn’t going to get better. No, I believe the national guys, who shoot down all the K mouthpieces, and say networks have stopped negotiating with us.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:

If anything he and Wilner have said is true, then why not sign a deal? Why keep waiting months and months? The deal isn’t going to get better. No, I believe the national guys, who shoot down all the K mouthpieces, and say networks have stopped negotiating with us.
Negotiating brand new deals that involve potentially new teams and new media partners takes time. I can't remember if it was Canzano, Wilner, or former Fox Sports exec Bob Thompson who said that Amazon/Apple work a lot differently and somewhat slower than regular TV networks. Plus, they're having to negotiate over what happens to the Pac-12 Network, something which the Big-12 didn't have to do.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Wilner and JC are actually two of the only journalists who've been covering this who, so far, don't appear to either be making things up or running with nonsense that appears to have been made up. They've been surprisingly pragmatic with their analysis even when it's not what many of their readers have wanted to hear.

Also, Wilner is a pretty awesome beat writer. I get it that some people here hate JC for his past takes on local sports, but I don't understand the dislike of Wilner. Dude is a clear-eyed pro who usually turns out to be right.
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

greenyellow wrote:Interesting bit of news that Fox is involved in negotiations.
I think the conference won't be as good as it was when USC and UCLA were there but at least it will probably not die if the pro-Pac reports are true, I really wanted us to join the Big Ten as well but as long as we are safe, I'm good.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Wilner and JC are actually two of the only journalists who've been covering this who, so far, don't appear to either be making things up or running with nonsense that appears to have been made up. They've been surprisingly pragmatic with their analysis even when it's not what many of their readers have wanted to hear.

Also, Wilner is a pretty awesome beat writer. I get it that some people here hate JC for his past takes on local sports, but I don't understand the dislike of Wilner. Dude is a clear-eyed pro who usually turns out to be right.

Wilner trolls Uo fans every chance he gets. What’s not to hate about him? I get UO fans drive clicks, because we are the only fan base on the conference that cares, but he needs to settle down on hi hot takes regarding UO.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Wilner trolls UP fans every chance he gets.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes he pisses me off, too, but what really makes it sting is that he's usually correct. He doesn't go out of his way to troll us, he just doesn't care whether the truth is unpleasant.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Another national guy saying Fox isn’t involved
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The first reply to that tweet is pretty amazing.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I've lost faith in a few reporters/journalists with how they've covered this whole media deal thing.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

ION…kind of like the CW covering LIV golf. Not good, but not buying anything at this point.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

greenyellow wrote:I've lost faith in a few reporters/journalists with how they've covered this whole media deal thing.
You had faith in JC? Not a good place to put it.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)