Strengths and Weaknesses, Post Portal/Spring Ball

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Strengths and Weaknesses, Post Portal/Spring Ball

Post by GrantDuck »

Weaknesses:
Khyree Jackson looks solid, but behind that? Cornerback(100% do not trust Bridges).
O-Line experience. I think the interior guys have played enough, but Forsyth was a great leader and we have 2 new tackles(albiet quite talented players). UW/TTech will be early tests on the road for this group.
TBD:
Bassa/Funa? Will we see what we saw in the bowl game or for most of last season(when they were not good).
Defensive coordinator/gameplanning? Was last year just a product of players that didn't fit the scheme or is Tosh really that bad?
TE Depth(filled some space, but still really thin here). Can be mitigated through personell groupings somewhat.

Strengths:
Skill positions on offense!! Nix/Bucky/WR room/TFerg; this is as talented of overall skill position players since probably Dennis Dixon's senior year when we had Snoop, Dixon, Jeremiah Johnson, Cam Colvin, etc. Should be a joy to watch these kids.
Defensive Line/experience/run stuffing/depth. When you have Keyon and Taki as depth guys, that's a nice group!
Jestin Jacobs/Evan Williams. Jacobs in particuar I think is going to flourish in Lanning's system and possibly lead the team in tackles if Williams doesn't.
duckfan96
Senior

Re: Strengths and Weaknesses, Post Portal/Spring Ball

Post by duckfan96 »

Wouldnt be surprised to see Dowdell(sp) get some pt at rb.

Would love to see Thompson get some pt and look like he understands the plays and can run the offense, other than spring game
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Idk why, but this year's spring game felt like it offered little insight on what to expect.

Granted it's probably like that most years, yet I feel obliged to make season long assumptions about a scrimmage. This year though, nothing...

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Idk why, but this year's spring game felt like it offered little insight on what to expect.

Granted it's probably like that most years, yet I feel obliged to make season long assumptions about a scrimmage. This year though, nothing...

Agreed. I hope the offense in particular was just a throw away limited show as it was blah and a half.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:Weaknesses:
Khyree Jackson looks solid, but behind that? Cornerback(100% do not trust Bridges)...
Strengths: Depth for 2023.
Weaknesses: Depth for 2024-beyond.

The transfer portal added to the Ducks upperclassmen but hollowed out the sophomore and junior classes at many positions. I guess you now play for the year and address things via the portal in the offseason, but I'll be anxious.

Concerns for this year are
1) Bo Nix's health, because I have no faith in what's behind him.
2) Terrance Ferguson's health, because there's a steep drop off behind him.
3) Linebacker, because both depth and some questions about Jacobs (health and system fit) and Bassa (has to be 'the guy' now).
4) OL, not because there isn't talent, but because cohesiveness with new guys under a new coach is far from a given 5. Nix under pressure brings out "Bad Bo."
5) DL, because though I think their floor is pretty high, I don't know what I should expect from them in terms of generating consistent pressure. Really wasn't that impressed in that category in 2022, and not sure what the DJJ->Burch change will do.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I have never felt more confused about an upcoming season, the spring game as another poster said gave us nothing. I could see this team going anywhere between 7-5 and 11-1, just depends on a few factors that could go really well or could go really poor.

At this point I really don’t know what to be confident in, last season I was confident in the defense, mainly the LB’s, and I was concerned about QB play with Bo.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

I think Jamal Hill is gonna transition to be a good LB FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Can the Bridges haters show us the stats that back up not trusting him? Last year it was our LB and safety’s that gave up the bulk of passing yards, not our CB. And the transfer from CU was just as good playing on a terrible buffs team.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

buckmarkduck wrote:Can the Bridges haters show us the stats that back up not trusting him? Last year it was our LB and safety’s that gave up the bulk of passing yards, not our CB. And the transfer from CU was just as good playing on a terrible buffs team.
Didn’t he get benched?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

pudgejeff wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Can the Bridges haters show us the stats that back up not trusting him? Last year it was our LB and safety’s that gave up the bulk of passing yards, not our CB. And the transfer from CU was just as good playing on a terrible buffs team.
Didn’t he get benched?

No. He started alll 13 games and played 705 snaps. Finished 3rd team all conference by PFF.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

buckmarkduck wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
Didn’t he get benched?

No. He started alll 13 games and played 705 snaps. Finished 3rd team all conference by PFF.
Interesting, I was/am a fan of him, but for some reason I just remembered getting benched and then making a big impact in the bowl game, although I could be getting years mixed up.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

He improved quite a bit as the season went along, but early in the season he got burned often. Honestly I wasn't a big fan of him either, but he did make noticeable improvement.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Bridges had 5 PBU's despite being the most targeted DB on the team. He gave up countless 3rd downs.

And as much as PFF College can be trash, he wasn't in their top 150 corners even last year.

I agree that safeties were a bigger problem in coverage, but Bridges was part of that too. He's decent on fade and go routes, but awful against underneath stuff.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

duckfan96 wrote:Wouldnt be surprised to see Dowdell(sp) get some pt at rb.

Would love to see Thompson get some pt and look like he understands the plays and can run the offense, other than spring game
Some people look good until the lights go on. I’ve seen enough. He obviously has the physical talent so that leaves? Hope he figures it out soon.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

GrantDuck wrote:Bridges had 5 PBU's despite being the most targeted DB on the team. He gave up countless 3rd downs.

And as much as PFF College can be trash, he wasn't in their top 150 corners even last year.

I agree that safeties were a bigger problem in coverage, but Bridges was part of that too. He's decent on fade and go routes, but awful against underneath stuff.
He’s also great at the LOS, he blew up a ton of screens last season.

Bridges isn’t a lockdown corner by any means but the number of fans that single him out because he got beat a handful of times is a bit much. Especially when the root of our issues was atrocious LB play and a complete inability go to get to the quarterback. No pressure on the QB is obviously going to make your DBs jobs significantly harder.

Also, part of why he was targeted so much was no one was throwing at Gonzo, not necessarily because Bridges was a liability.