greenyellow

Re: Ex-Ducks NFL Status

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
Too bad the Falcons were cheated out of a win cause the refs continue to baby Tom Brady far more than any athlete in the history of sports. Mariota doing a tad bit better than I think people expected.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Too bad the Falcons were cheated out of a win cause the refs continue to baby Tom Brady far more than any athlete in the history of sports. Mariota doing a tad bit better than I think people expected.
They still needed a TD.

I'm not sure what happened to Mariota. He's made good plays but hardcore Falcon fans will tell you that he's costed them a few games too.

Maybe it's because the CK system had WR's who were just completely wide open but I always thought that Mariota was accurate and had a good arm. So I'm confused why he's not killing it in the NFL - perhaps it's the level of competition.

Anyways, I think I've seen this sad cycle one too many times for him.

Passing game isn't doing great -> feels obligated to run to make plays -> eventually gets injured -> repeat
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I feel like Mariota is getting the Harrington treatment. He had a really good season in Tennessee, but constant coaching changes and OC changes plus continued crappy OLine play ruined any chance he had at being a good NFL QB. Plus Venables used him as a scapegoat his last year at TN so I’ll never root for that guy. Falcons are a really bad team with very little talent, to a certain extent Mariota was set up to fail but at the same time he hasn’t done himself any favors, though Atlanta doesn’t want him to succeed since he’s a short year plan and they want an early draft pick to get someone like CJ Stroud. This will probably be Mariota’s last season starting. Mariota had potential but TN was such an unstable program until Venables. I just hope Staley figures things out so the Chargers don’t end up firing causing Herbert to go through the same thing.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Yes, being a high QB draft pick behind a swiss cheese OL ends your career fairly quickly. He had good seasons at TN but his last one there wasn't that great - probably because of all the physical punishment he took over 4 years. Atlanta's OL is ok and I think they have receivers and a good TE. I'm rooting for Mariota and think he has what it takes to get the job done but I'm not sure why he hasn't been able to this year....

Falcon fans are already screaming about his last attempted passes stat - i think it's 8/18 or something like that.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Marcus and the offense would look better if they didn't draft Desmond Riddler in the 3rd to sit on the bench and not provide anything to the team this year. I thought they should have taken another OL or WR because they aren't that deep in those areas and also because I think you want your team to be more complete before you draft the "guy" at QB to take over.

Marcus has missed on some throws this year but the bigger issue is just simply that the team needs more solid drafts and free agent classes to rebuild the roster. Whether or not he's part of the plan long-term remains to be seen and largely on his own play.

You also have to remember that Calvin Ridley is serving a full-season suspension for betting on his team to win while he was injured. If you put another proven WR on the field with London and Pitts, you've got a pretty damn good 4 skill position guys with Patterson as a do everything Back (but the OL still sucks and you do need an actual RB to tote the load).

CJ Stroud is also in the same position Marcus was in college: his offense does everything for him. Stroud has some really ugly, bizarre, what did you see to throw into triple coverage type throws this season. The hype over this years QB class is not bearing fruit as the season has played out to this date. Will Levis who is injured looks like the most pro-ready/capable QB whereas others like Bryce Young haven't looked that great (and size concerns are legit with Young)
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Obviously the Atlanta situation isn’t ideal but I’m so happy Marcus has gotten another chance to be a starter in the league. He deserves any success that come his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Feelings this game:

Mariota completes a pass!
Lenoir gives up a reception....
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kayvon with the strip of Lamar Jackson to seal the win.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Albeit against a depleted 49ers defense, Mariota had one of the best games of his career.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Brenden Schooler had an awkward moment with Bill Belichick after he recovered a muffed punt and then tried giving it to him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Mariota named NFC offensive player of the week.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »