Utah, Boise State will challenge Oregon early in 2009

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

briarduck
Senior

Utah, Boise State will challenge Oregon early in 2009

Post by briarduck »

The Daily Emerald by Andrew Greif
http://media.www.dailyemerald.com/media ... 5193.shtml

The article sounds like a Beaver Fan wrote it but food for thought I guess! I would still like to see what we would have done against BSU with a healthy JM, he wasn't the JM at the end of the year but he would have been more effective (as we Ducks fans are well aware) than CH which this writer fails to mention.

Still there is no doubt they are two good teams to give us early tests...but we will take them both, book it!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Re: Utah, Boise State will challenge Oregon early in 2009

Post by Mops »

I actually think these two programs will provide tough tests for us even with the defections. BSU will be dangerous. They return their QB who lit us up. IN an offense WR is almost the easiest position to replace. You cant expect stud like numbers from new guys but all can be possession guys and with a good play action they become deadly. Besides, Boise has won 10 plus games the past umpteen years. That program isnt just a normal non BCS school that had one good season. Talent is there. Plus its at their place and they dont lose there very often. It will be very tough.

Utah looses more and both coordinators but they still will be a tough team to beat for the same reasons as BSU being a good team year in and year out.
briarduck
Senior

Post by briarduck »

I agree they won't be our usual push overs, they will both be competitive but I like how we look and barring any unforeseen injuries we beat both because we will simply outscore them! It just bothers me that the writer fails to pint out just what type of team we were at that point of the season!

GO DUCKS!!
GO DUCKS!! WTD!
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

So Boise State and Utah are the Big Boys now and the Ducks are what, still wearing pull ups? I seem to recall the Ducks finishing at #2 a few (ok 6) years back and only 1 season since then finishing outside of the top 25. Correct me if I am remembering things with green and yellow glasses on.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

All games present some sort of challenge, in some way. We should and will, IMO, win these games. We should have a real chance at beating USC at home as well. Barring LGB not being eligible or Masoli getting hurt I call for BCS game for us next year.
Diehardduckfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by Diehardduckfan »

Utah or Boise St. we have revenge on our mind so we better be motivated.
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

We will kick both of their asses...on our way to an undefeated season....This next year shows a ton of promise.....And Masoli will have his opportunity for revenge...BSU hasnt seen ANYTHING yet.....But, they will very early next year...It will be a gr8 time to destroy their undefeated hopes again this next year, nice and early.....Mark my words.....the blue turf is gonna turn real green early next year....
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

Keep in mind that the Ducks are going to be breaking in some new players on both lines next season. I would have much rather seen the Ducks open the season against a weaker opponent so these players could get their feet wet and work out the inevitable kinks. Playing against a good opponent in a very hostile environment the first game will definitely be a baptism by fire. I expect this to be a very difficult game.
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

VinnyKnuckles wrote:Keep in mind that the Ducks are going to be breaking in some new players on both lines next season. I would have much rather seen the Ducks open the season against a weaker opponent so these players could get their feet wet and work out the inevitable kinks. Playing against a good opponent in a very hostile environment the first game will definitely be a baptism by fire. I expect this to be a very difficult game.

I agree
TopDuck
High School Drop Out

Post by TopDuck »

I agree but with a top 15 ranking and beating both these teams early will set up a nice championship run. :D
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

briarduck wrote:I agree they won't be our usual push overs, they will both be competitive but I like how we look and barring any unforeseen injuries we beat both because we will simply outscore them! It just bothers me that the writer fails to pint out just what type of team we were at that point of the season!

GO DUCKS!!
Well said, Oregon's offense when it's running (pun intended) like it should is a juggernaut and very hard to keep up with. I think most people will agree that Oregon can come out and play any team in the country and if our offense is firing on all cylinders and our defense even shows up a little bit then Oregon most likely wins that game. I think Utah will be tough, cause well they are Utah and they are no joke. Boise St. I see as more of a mental battle, if it simply came down to who has the biggest weapons Oregon wins hands down, but there is always that mental struggle to consider, they beat us last year... questionably since we didn't have Masoli, but the stat sheet still says they won and no Pac 10 team wants to get beat by a non BCS team two years in a row.
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

We will undefeated going into the USC game barring Masoli injury or LGB being ineligible. Mark it down now.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Obviously opening the season with a tough opponent is scary but I like to look at it this way: We will have 4 weeks to prepare for Bsu & everything they do. I think that is a huge advantage for us.
VinnyKnuckles
Four Star Recruit

Post by VinnyKnuckles »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Obviously opening the season with a tough opponent is scary but I like to look at it this way: We will have 4 weeks to prepare for Bsu & everything they do. I think that is a huge advantage for us.
True, and we all know Chip's/Bellotti's history of success with extra time to prepare.

On the flip side, Boise State will have extra time to prepare for the Ducks as well. Several teams in the past have talked about how it is very difficult to get ready for Oregon's offense with only a week to prepare. The extra time to prepare should benefit both teams.
QuackSince82
Four Star Recruit

Post by QuackSince82 »

I noticed in the article Andrew says beating Utah & Boise St. will be a stepping stone to a Pac-10 title. In no way will winning these games be a stepping stone for a Pac-10 title.
I'm pretty sure only Pac-10 games matter to win the Pac-10 title. :shock: