About Costa...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: About Costa...

Post by Tray Dub »

ivegottabigduck wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:
ivegottabigduck wrote:The job is obviously Masoli's to lose at this point. I don't think we will see Costa as our starter barring major injury issues
Nice taste in avatars...
With the overly strict size reuirements for them here it was the only one I could find on google without having to spend to much time.
No worries at all man.

I think Costa's a huge wild card. I'm not a doctor, but three torn ACL's doesn't sound like something you come back from. But you never know, maybe he'll be 100% and challenge Masoli. The coaches do love him.
echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

Tray Dub wrote:maybe he'll be 100% and challenge Masoli. The coaches do love him.
Let's all remember that the coaches loved him (past tense) before they knew what Masoli could do and Roper was the next in line. Perhaps they loved Costa because he was more of a dual-threat QB than Roper. Now that it is clear what Masoli can do, perhaps the coaches won't be as high on Costa.

That's not to say that if healthy he shouldn't compete for the starting position, I just think that the reason the coaches were so high on him in the Spring and Fall last year was because he knew the playbook and he was a better dual-threat than Roper (don't forget that towards the end of Fall camp, Roper was about to steal the starting spot from Costa anyway). Now that Masoli knows the playbook, we will just have to see if Costa is above Masoli in skill (or Thomas for that matter).
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

echo31 wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:maybe he'll be 100% and challenge Masoli. The coaches do love him.
Let's all remember that the coaches loved him (past tense) before they knew what Masoli could do and Roper was the next in line. Perhaps they loved Costa because he was more of a dual-threat QB than Roper. Now that it is clear what Masoli can do, perhaps the coaches won't be as high on Costa.

That's not to say that if healthy he shouldn't compete for the starting position, I just think that the reason the coaches were so high on him in the Spring and Fall last year was because he knew the playbook and he was a better dual-threat than Roper. Now that Masoli knows the playbook, we will just have to see if Costa is above Masoli in skill (or Thomas for that matter).
I'm definitely not saying I think he'll start. But his injuries still haven't taken away what the coaches loved about him: his leadership. I've read a few quotes where the coaches rave about his intangibles. I think he's the only one that has any chance to unseat Masoli. I still really doubt he will though.
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Just from what I know through personal experience, for an average person, this wouldn't be an issue. May not have ever even needed the second rebuild. Probably could have gone through his whole life on that initial surgery - even being athletic with not much difficulty. But being an elite athlete, especially football, puts so much stress on your body - most people have NO idea. Add onto that, the spread offense........and you'll get a taste of the amazing physical condition you must be in. I'm not saying I'm a doctor, but have been around enough athletes with injuries to know the odds. I had some work done on one of my knees about 15 years ago & now that I'm older, it's a bi*tch. And it was relatively minor. I can only imagine what Costa has gone through. Warranted, techniques have changed & the docs at UO are miracle workers. So I'm going to be thinking totally positive & hope he comes back. If the doctors and coaches put him up front, I will trust in their decision that it is what is best for the team.

But one question........ and answer honestly...........

Will you truly believe without a doubt that you are 110% positive that the knee will hold. With Dennis going down like he did, I can't say yes to that statement. It's just my opinion mind you.
Canard
One Star Recruit

Post by Canard »

If, God forbid, Masoli goes down for any extended period next season, you're going to be far more comfortable if Costa's been in the mix since fall and wound up second fiddle than had here merely hung them up.

Roper is mostly ineffective at the zone-read portion of the playbook and we've all seen that unfortunately. With Roper at the helm we become a misfiring Texas Tech team unless Roper has a month to get ready.

This is a spread option team, not a spread passing team. I am hoping that if nothing else, Nate can come back and push Masoli and at least become insurance at the position because DT is still in need of a redshirt year IMO.
SEC "Football" —Must See TV according to ESPN
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

Canard wrote:If, God forbid, Masoli goes down for any extended period next season, you're going to be far more comfortable if Costa's been in the mix since fall and wound up second fiddle than had here merely hung them up.

Roper is mostly ineffective at the zone-read portion of the playbook and we've all seen that unfortunately. With Roper at the helm we become a misfiring Texas Tech team unless Roper has a month to get ready.

This is a spread option team, not a spread passing team. I am hoping that if nothing else, Nate can come back and push Masoli and at least become insurance at the position because DT is still in need of a redshirt year IMO.
Sounds good to me.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

We should get a decent idea of what NC may be capable of in spring drills. Until then, it seems as if the coaches intend to keep him under wraps.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

No worries at all man.

I think Costa's a huge wild card. I'm not a doctor, but three torn ACL's doesn't sound like something you come back from. But you never know, maybe he'll be 100% and challenge Masoli. The coaches do love him.[/quote]

Costa might have been a competing factor 2 years back. But...that being said, he has played such limited time in actual games, that he has yet had an opportunity to show what he really has or doesnt have. DT has seen substantially more playing time than Costa (ala Boise State) and has shown what he CAN do....I just dont see Costa being a factor this year....
Maybe as a back up for a back up for a back up....Most likely this year the QB standings will be Masoli, DT, Roper, Costa (if he makes it beyond fall camp). Sorry, but no matter how well he Knows the System, his legs are still very suspect and he has not proven himself on the field....
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

IMO, whether or not Costa can become a factor or not depends as much on his mental prepredness as it does on the stability of the knee...

As someone who has gone through several major knee injuries (And repairs) the mental factor is HUGE!

Working with the sports psychologists and trainers available at the Cas complex is a huge advantage, but it still comes down to this: Does Nate trust himself?

i.e.: Will Costa be able to perform without a little gremlin on his shoulder whispering to be careful?

When NC needs to make a juke, or simply set himself to throw a bomb off his plant foot, will he be able to execute in the necessary manner without flinching?

That can be the most difficult part of this rehab process.

Just ask JJ...
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Fenway
One Star Recruit

Post by Fenway »

cannard, who is your avatar supposed to be of?
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Forget the physical nature of his recovery for a minute, he's going to have a huge mental hurdle to clear if he wants to come back. You don't go through three surgeries and then come back and think everything's gonna be fine. He's going to be thinking about that knee every time he takes the field and that's going to severely limit his progress.

I'm thinking Darron Thomas' redshirt this year will be in severe jepoardy especially if he progresses during spring drills.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

i have acl injuries in my senior year. Its really tough to recover it, I had hard time with myself during basketball season, I have no confient in myself making that tough turn in baseline, espeically playing defense in basketball. It was never same for me compare last 3 years before my senior year. It took me more than year or year and half to get over with myself and be able to do things b4 my seniors year. :roll: