About Costa...

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan2121
Two Star Recruit

About Costa...

Post by duckfan2121 »

In my belief Nathan Costa will probably never play another down of football for the U of O. I would love to see him succeed and i believe he would have been a great quarterback for us, however in his condition his knee is in it is best for his health and safety that he doesn't play football anymore. His situation right now calls for him to have many problems down the road in his lifetime. People that suffer that much trauma to a knee like that shouldn't even be thinking about playing such a physical game like football, where stress is put on that knee in almost every situation imaginable.
rcook
Two Star Recruit

Re: About Costa...

Post by rcook »

Hmmmkay?

Do you really think he would have had another, different type of knee surgery that is supposed to fix things if he didn't intend to attempt more football? Bear in mind the doctors used his own tissue vs a cadaver, which grows and heals like the rest of his body, which is a big advantage when it comes to an injury of this nature.

I am rooting for him to not only heal, but to play and do well if the opportunity presents itself. I am counting on costa to be the primary backup next year... I would be very surprised if he didn't see the field a decent amount.

Does not like war, fwiw
alabamaduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by alabamaduck »

I hope Costa comes back and is a big part of the team, but 3 surgeries in 4 years leads me to think it's not very likely. Here's to hoping I'm wrong!
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

As much as I would love to see Costa back and playing, I don't see it happening. I hope he proves us all wrong and takes command of the secondary spot behind Masoli, but with how many times he has had knee surgery it seems unlikely.
Diehardduckfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by Diehardduckfan »

i don't know if Kelly would go for a dual quarterback system like bellotti has. But Nate Costa was the number one QB this last year and Dennis Dixon's back up the year before. He is very good from what I have seen of him in practice. If he ends up winning the starting spot next season it will be a very confusing feeling for Duck Fans I am sure.

If he doesn't play another down his perfect passing record will remain in tact.
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by ivegottabigduck »

The job is obviously Masoli's to lose at this point. I don't think we will see Costa as our starter barring major injury issues
gregspechtismyhero
Freshman

Post by gregspechtismyhero »

I've heard that Costa really wants to play, but his parents are trying to make him consider the ramifications of him playing again and getting hurt. It's not like he got drilled when he hurt it earlier this year, he was just running and it gave out on him. If he hurts his knee again, he probably won't be able to walk normally ever again. I hope he comes back, but I don't know if he should.
In Helfrich, Frost, and Allioti we trust
Image (USA Today Sports)
AIM: hockeygoalie923
ducksball
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksball »

Costa will play next year. Or at least be part of the team. Gotta respect that kind of passion and desire. Sad to see such talent not appreciated because of injuries.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

ivegottabigduck wrote:The job is obviously Masoli's to lose at this point. I don't think we will see Costa as our starter barring major injury issues
Nice taste in avatars...
addictedtoquack
Three Star Recruit

Post by addictedtoquack »

Diehardduckfan wrote:i don't know if Kelly would go for a dual quarterback system like bellotti has. But Nate Costa was the number one QB this last year and Dennis Dixon's back up the year before. He is very good from what I have seen of him in practice. If he ends up winning the starting spot next season it will be a very confusing feeling for Duck Fans I am sure.

If he doesn't play another down his perfect passing record will remain in tact.

I didn't know Costa has a perfect passing record, probably not all that impressive though, I think he's only played a hand full of downs at Oregon.
jimmyg
Two Star Recruit

Post by jimmyg »

duckfan2121 wrote:In my belief Nathan Costa will probably never play another down of football for the U of O. I would love to see him succeed and i believe he would have been a great quarterback for us, however in his condition his knee is in it is best for his health and safety that he doesn't play football anymore. His situation right now calls for him to have many problems down the road in his lifetime. People that suffer that much trauma to a knee like that shouldn't even be thinking about playing such a physical game like football, where stress is put on that knee in almost every situation imaginable.

I don't think our team doctors and physicians that cleared him to return to the football field are so reckless in an attepmt to win football games to let him go back out there if they didn't see him fit to do so.
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Tray Dub wrote:
ivegottabigduck wrote:The job is obviously Masoli's to lose at this point. I don't think we will see Costa as our starter barring major injury issues
Nice taste in avatars...
With the overly strict size reuirements for them here it was the only one I could find on google without having to spend to much time.
OreDucks01284
Senior

Post by OreDucks01284 »

you never know he could end up like Jason White. i think he have similar situation as Nate Costa? Correct me if im wrong, thanks.
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

chump01284 wrote:you never know he could end up like Jason White. i think he have similar situation as Nate Costa? Correct me if im wrong, thanks.
If you mean they both had knees held together with Duct tape, then I would say you are correct. I am not saying that Costa will be a starter again. As long as Masoli puts together games like the last 4 he is our guy because his passing will just get better.
Canard
One Star Recruit

Post by Canard »

Given how erratic/ragged we look when Masoli's passing is off or when he is injured, if Nate can take the field, I am all for it. How can you say "NO" to a guy who has put in his time and is medically cleared? Chip isn't. Nate still probably will have the strongest grasp of the system going into the fall even though Masoli is coming on of late.

It's worth the risk of a minor QB controversy in camp to have the back-up insurance that Nate or Jeremiah provide one another no matter who starts.
SEC "Football" —Must See TV according to ESPN