Oregon State game pulled back to 12/3

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Oregon State game pulled back to 12/3

Post by bigsugarduck »

It looks like the civil war is being pulled back a week from where it was.

http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/inde ... yed-dec-3/

I for one, love this move!!! This game has been soooooooo competitive recently (sans last year) that we need as much extra time to prepare as possible. Looking at the Beaver schedule, they would then have 3 weeks between games. How it was, with them having 2 weeks to prepare for us, and only 1 week for us, was a definite advantage for them (much like we had this year). I would argue that 2 weeks to prepare for a big game is better than 3 weeks because it lets you heal and prepare without becoming too rusty.

The only downside is that it gives the beavs enough time to really get healthy, because i expect their smufs to be kinda banged up again near the end of the season, just like this year.
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
ivegottabigduck
Three Star Recruit

Re: Oregon State game pulled back to 12/3

Post by ivegottabigduck »

I like the move. Also we already are slated for 5 ABC/ESPN games.
Mops
Four Star Recruit

Post by Mops »

I like the move TV wise as it will get a lot of nation pub being a Thursday game. That said it will sure feel strange to have a Civil War on Thursday...
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

I like it, although a lot of the locals don't seem to like a Thursday game.
duckgrad99
All Pac-12

Post by duckgrad99 »

http://oregon.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=901250

The scheduled tv games for next season.
Duckxing
Two Star Recruit

Post by Duckxing »

As a fan, I don't like the move at all. Playing a game during the middle of week just won't seem right. This is almost as bad as night games. College football should be played on Saturday's during the day.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Dang, Thursday sounds like fun but not when I'll be stacked with school Fall 2009...

Anyway, awesome to see us have 5 games already televised.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
MFRDuckFan
Senior

Post by MFRDuckFan »

I've already put in my vacation slips with the boss. Thursday & Friday both off. We have to drive up from Medford, so getting home at 1 in the AM does not make for an alert worker!
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

i like the move as well, we get a bye week to heal and prepare, and it will be the only big game on television which will be huge for recruiting and national exposure. it also moves us up to the conference championship weekend so the voters will remember the lasting impression we put on the beavs once again only this time in autzen stadium... why dont u guys like night games?
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

sounds like an awesome move to me
ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

What a mistake this seems to be, but, its apparently the way that it is.....
The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 pm and is to be broadcast by ESPN. Lets think about this...So, it starts at 9:00 EST and will extend until 1:00 EST (about 4 hours later)?
1 hour earlier each time zone that it moves Westward....Considering that the rest of the country will be going to work the next day (on Friday the 4th), it doesnt seem that other than possibly the Mountain Time people, most of the country wont be staying up to watch the game anyway, unless the Ducks are able to be in a position of MAJOR NATIONAL PROMINANCE.....and even then, its questionable.....
Do we NEED the $$$ that badly? It surely isnt gonna be a National TV exposure. Really, how many people stay up to watch the "Rhododendren Growing Channel" at 3:00 am....? WOW.....
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Last season Bob DeCarrolis tried to get the Ducks to move the game back a week and Oregon refused, givint he Ducks a bye, but not the Beavs... The year before, the beavises were coming off a bye week, while the Ducks were still reeling through the so-called 'November slide' started with the Arizona game in which Dixon was injured.

With Oregon's recent history playing after a bye, does anybody think things might have been different had the Ducks taken the offer?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

echo31
Five Star Recruit

Post by echo31 »

ducksrock wrote:What a mistake this seems to be, but, its apparently the way that it is.....
The game is scheduled to start at 6:00 pm and is to be broadcast by ESPN. Lets think about this...So, it starts at 9:00 EST and will extend until 1:00 EST (about 4 hours later)?
1 hour earlier each time zone that it moves Westward....Considering that the rest of the country will be going to work the next day (on Friday the 4th), it doesnt seem that other than possibly the Mountain Time people, most of the country wont be staying up to watch the game anyway, unless the Ducks are able to be in a position of MAJOR NATIONAL PROMINANCE.....and even then, its questionable.....
Do we NEED the $$$ that badly? It surely isnt gonna be a National TV exposure. Really, how many people stay up to watch the "Rhododendren Growing Channel" at 3:00 am....? WOW.....
Considering most Thursday nights in the Fall, East Coast teams like USF, VT, Miami, Louisville, etc. are the teams playing, you have to think that someone on the East Coast is watching or else they wouldn't schedule Thursday games.
stewbertwilloughby
Five Star Recruit

Post by stewbertwilloughby »

I was just looking at the Pac-10 schedules and the Stanford vs. Notre Dame game is also Thursday, Dec. 3rd. And since the game is in Palo Alto, both games will probably be at a similar, if not the same time. There goes half of our national audience, assuming Notre Dame has a somewhat better season than the last few.
GO DUCKS!
Greydrake
Four Star Recruit

Post by Greydrake »

After this years deficient exposure, any exposure let along a national exposure is big time, especially since this on espn. This goes a long way on showcasing the programs and could agian have Rose Bowl implications.

That type of potential could greatly overshadow the Stanford-ND game.

IMO the fact that one of the greatest rivalry games and least appreciated on a national scale is receiving espn attention demonstrates how far both progams have developed. I am certain that our far flung bevern especially on the east coast love the fact it's being broadcast as such.

The administrations of both schools deserve props for making the change because the bottom line in recruiting is having a program which successfully markets itself and thereby its players.