NDSU/OREGON 2020

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

NomadBison
One Star Recruit

Re: NDSU/OREGON 2020

Post by NomadBison »

I agree. Just because the 2019 season is done doesn’t mean we can’t discuss 2020. And there is no point in NDSU fans thinking there isn’t a legit shot at winning. Any Given Saturday. It will be a good game.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I decided to check out the NDSU forum, what an arrogant bunch they are. Some good fans, but it’s incredible to see so many fans on there talk trash about how Oregon hasn’t won’t any national championships and they’ve won a bunch. The trash talk and disrespect towards Oregon is eye opening to show how arrogant and low quality that little fan base is. I’m sorry to the good NDSU fans that they have to be lumped into that group. I really hope the coaches and players see the noise those NDSU fans are making and just blow them out and run up the score on them.
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

Common.... Oregon is not going to lift up its skirt and show anything, offensively or defensively, against ndsu. Period. Keep in mind, next week is tOSU. My guess is we’ll grind out a tough victory against the bisons. No more. No less. Because everyone knows the big game is the following week...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

NomadBison wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:My word. Is there absolutely NOTHING to do in North Dakota???
Work, Hunt, Fish, Ski, Sledding, Dog Sledding, Hiking, Biking, Boating, Shopping, DRINKING, watch sports, play sports. What answer do you want to hear? You don’t like civil conversation without anyone thumping their chest?
WTF do you fish for? 12 ounce trout? I throw steelheads back that aren't 15+ pounds ;)
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

wepto wrote:In a single ooc game, NDSU has shown they can perform as well as a mid tier Pac-12 team.

If NDSU had to play 9 conference games + 1 ooc P5 opponent, they'd implode in November--just like we saw when Utah moved up a level. Those extra scholarships are much more important over the course of a season. Guys get way more dinged up playing against dudes that are much bigger, faster and stronger. Utah beat Alabama as a G5 program and still tanked hard their first 4 years in the Pac-12. And Utah didn't have the scholarship reduction that FCS teams do. Realistically, it would take NDSU 5 years to make a bowl if they moved up to a P5 conference.
This is always an interesting take... "Guys get way more dinged up playing against dudes that are much bigger, faster, and stronger."

Any objective evidence to back up the assertion that players get hurt more in FBS than in FCS? I'd love to see it if it exists. It's very possible, but without evidence, I don't buy it.

Besides...
Faster? Yes. I'll concede that across the board, the average P5 FBS player is probably a half step faster than the average NDSU player by position. That can certainly make a difference. Especially against a team like Oregon where some skill players are more like a step or two faster.

But bigger and stronger? Without objective evidence of some sort, I don't buy it. What was Oregon's average height and weight on the OL last year? NDSU's was something like 6' 5" and 310 lbs. And our strength and conditioning coach is world class. No joke.

Oregon will likely win, but it will be a battle in the trenches.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Unless the MAC somehow takes NDSU as a football only member I don't think they'll be moving up to big boy football any time soon.

Their stadium seats 19,000 people. They are isolated, even for the MAC. The closest MAC team, NIU, is nearly 600 miles away.

The metro population of Fargo is under 250k. The entire population of North Dakota is 760k, while Oregon's is 4.2 mil.

I didn't realize just how WIDE the gap is between a top P-5 team like Oregon and NDSU.

Their football budget is just $4.8 million. We're paying our coaches alone $5.6 million next year, and with bonuses we paid out nearly $7 mil this year to coaches. Entz, their HC, makes less or comparable to our position coaches. Heyward and Big Joe earn close to double. Donte, Bobby Williams, Mastro, and Mirabal all have higher base salaries.

Oregon's football staff is 40-45 people, theirs is ~20. NDSU's highest AD revenue in the past few years is $25 million, Oregon's is $145 million. Their facilities are more cinder block and industrial carpet, while ours are glass and exotic hardwoods.

Man, if we lose this one with all the inherent advantages we posses, it will look bad.

Lots of money wasted on bloated football budgets. James Madison outspent NDSU 2:1 in football. They have a 10 mill budget. Most FBS programs are fat and bloated. Lots of money squandered. NDSU is the most efficient football program in history. The best there has ever been considering bang for the buck.

Oregon spends 25-30 million on football every year. Big deal. Most of that money is tied up in bloated salaries and huge fixed costs being divided up among the parasites serving it. A five or six to one advantage in spending will make this particular game about even.

Iowa fans said the same thing as MN fans etc. Iowa was pumping in 30-35 million. In the mean-time NDSU was using its 5 mill to maintain their program at top efficiency levels.

The money makes no difference in a one-off with The BISON.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
Duck07 wrote:We're going to have a Top 10 defense next year and they won't be taking the Bison lightly. More to the point for us though may be that by playing such a quality program will help us get ready to upset the Buckeyes the following week.

So who is the better program between Bowling Green and NDSU?
On Bisonville QB11 asked them which FBS team they are comparable to, who they would go 5-5 against if they played 10 times. They said Wisconsin or Michigan. I'm not even kidding. They were also explaining how they're a slightly better program than Arizona State using Sagarin ranking average, ignoring that they play FCS teams while Arizona State plays 10-11 P-5 games each year.
Sagarin etc reward teams for perceived strength of schedule. Oregon is better off losing to AZ than NDSU is winning against UNI or Youngstown State. For this reason NDSU is one of the highest rated teams in FCS history. It’s very difficult for an FCS team to be ranked this high.

NDSUs ranking is very solid.

Comparative rankings like Sagarins system is used for anything: chess, tennis, bridge etc. only The GAM knows football and will be a better indicator for this game than any other system I am aware of.

None-the-less Sagarin etc are pretty good but they paint with far to broad a brush. The spread on this game is about half what Sagarin is showing. It’s close enough right now to make a Bison upset a very real possibility.

Your players and coaches are “up” for every game. This will be no different . The best team will win. If it’s The BISON the excuses will flow. Iowa players were such poor sports they left the field without shaking hands. Their 30 million pours into a cesspool.of vanity.
Last edited by JBB on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

ncduck wrote:
thebootfitter wrote:
wepto wrote:I think that's underselling NDSU a bit. I'd take 2019 NDSU as a straight up favorite over 2019 Stanford or Arizona. Oregon State and Cal (while Garbers was out) would also have a lot of trouble. They have shown that they can consistently beat mid/lower tier P5 teams. Ducks are still a solid favorite--but it's more like an 85/15% game than a 99/1% game.
Absolutely closer to a 85/15% probability split. Massey's computer algorithm shows the 2019 teams as an 80/20% probability split. Though regardless of the computed probabilities, I think an NDSU win would still be seen by many as comparable or bigger than the Michigan vs App State upset.

I still think that the game will look a lot like the Rose Bowl game against Wisconsin. I expect NDSU to get up for this game and play above their potential a bit to the point that instead of looking like a #25 to #30-ish team in the country that they probably are next year, they'll look like a #15-ish team in the country for this game. Anytime you get a top-10 against a #15-ish team, it has a chance to be a good one.

I may leave Autzen with my expectations dashed, but I'd be okay with that too. It will still be a fun opportunity to see the Bison play a legitimate top-10 team in the country.
The App State upset is an interesting case. Michigan was ranked in the top 5 I believe t the time, making it a real stunner. However, Michigan proved the loss to be more than just a fluke by being boat raced the following week...by Oregon.
That’s a little understood football phenomena called “knocking the stuffing out of them”. They simply couldn’t recover from the loss. It happened to K State and Iowa too.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

ncduck wrote:
NomadBison wrote:Just because something is shiny doesn’t mean it’s good. That in no way applies to Oregon or it’s resources. A hard hat and lunch bucket is all that’s needed. Pretty much everything NDSU does is privately funded and has little help from the state or relying on student fees. Some will claim that NDSU gets oil money. That is a BIG falsehood. Just a bunch of small town kids and coaches doing some great things and rising to the occasion.
I can wholeheartedly agree with the first sentence. The problem is all of the G5 schools have been pouring money into their facilities for a couple of decades. All of the coaches on the recruiting trail are pitching the quality of the facilities and how they can take the kids game to the next level and have them ready for the NFL. If you don't have the shiny after all the silver tongued devils have come through, you won't be landing the top recruits and the program won't grow.

The other coaches will come in and say, don't go to NDSU because if they don't have the facilities, how can the make you great?
NDSU players and coaches have a line into the NFL as good as anyone. We always have and have had players, coaches and head coaches in the NFL and there are a lot of Super Bowl rings on the hands of Bison players. Successful NDSU alums are found at every level of organized football.
NomadBison
One Star Recruit

Post by NomadBison »

Duck07 wrote:
NomadBison wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:My word. Is there absolutely NOTHING to do in North Dakota???
Work, Hunt, Fish, Ski, Sledding, Dog Sledding, Hiking, Biking, Boating, Shopping, DRINKING, watch sports, play sports. What answer do you want to hear? You don’t like civil conversation without anyone thumping their chest?
WTF do you fish for? 12 ounce trout? I throw steelheads back that aren't 15+ pounds ;)
I’m just hear to talk about fishing now. Well in ND you can fish for 30lb chinook salmon, 10+ lb walleye. 20lb pike. 20+ lb channel catfish, 115lb paddlefish. Do have some great rainbow and brown trout fishing. ND is known for its fisheries such as Devils Lake, Red River, Missouri River and Lake Sakakawea. I imagine people think of ND as a flat window snow covered plain. Well your right, kind of. It’s a relatively quite place and definitely has some beautiful places.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

NomadBison wrote:I agree. Just because the 2019 season is done doesn’t mean we can’t discuss 2020. And there is no point in NDSU fans thinking there isn’t a legit shot at winning. Any Given Saturday. It will be a good game.
We thank you for initiating discussion on an early season non-con game; one that usually doesn't generate much buzz. NDSU fans should certainly believe there's a chance of winning. But, in reality what NDSU can hope for is another huge , unbelievable upset.
NomadBison
One Star Recruit

Post by NomadBison »

Merganzer wrote:
NomadBison wrote:I agree. Just because the 2019 season is done doesn’t mean we can’t discuss 2020. And there is no point in NDSU fans thinking there isn’t a legit shot at winning. Any Given Saturday. It will be a good game.
We thank you for initiating discussion on an early season non-con game; one that usually doesn't generate much buzz. NDSU fans should certainly believe there's a chance of winning. But, in reality what NDSU can hope for is another huge , unbelievable upset.
A wins a win.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

JBB wrote:
ncduck wrote:
NomadBison wrote:Just because something is shiny doesn’t mean it’s good. That in no way applies to Oregon or it’s resources. A hard hat and lunch bucket is all that’s needed. Pretty much everything NDSU does is privately funded and has little help from the state or relying on student fees. Some will claim that NDSU gets oil money. That is a BIG falsehood. Just a bunch of small town kids and coaches doing some great things and rising to the occasion.
I can wholeheartedly agree with the first sentence. The problem is all of the G5 schools have been pouring money into their facilities for a couple of decades. All of the coaches on the recruiting trail are pitching the quality of the facilities and how they can take the kids game to the next level and have them ready for the NFL. If you don't have the shiny after all the silver tongued devils have come through, you won't be landing the top recruits and the program won't grow.

The other coaches will come in and say, don't go to NDSU because if they don't have the facilities, how can the make you great?
NDSU players and coaches have a line into the NFL as good as anyone. We always have and have had players, coaches and head coaches in the NFL and there are a lot of Super Bowl rings on the hands of Bison players. Successful NDSU alums are found at every level of organized football.
That’s nice, but it won’t convince recruits in the face of negative recruiting. You wouldn’t be going up against other FCS schools for kids the big boys don’t want. Kids get limited official visits and 3 star kids are coveted by all schools except maybe a few schools. If you don’t have the goods and play in a tiny stadium, and school is far from home, it will not be easy to increase recruiting. If I’m a coach that uses negative recruiting, I would tell the kids that NDSU can’t afford to invest in themselves how can they afford to invest in you?

You can say your strength and conditioning coaches are world class and it may be true, but so are most G5 s&c coaches, but they have much more to offer.

I’m not trying to attack you, I really respect NDSU and they amazing run the school has had. I’m simply saying it’s not an easy thing to just come up a level and beat teams when 90% of the rosters are more talented and have been developing players using the additional scholarships. It takes years.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

JBB wrote:
ncduck wrote:

A very brief internet search shows NDSU with 5 players in the NFL, only one drafted (5th round ) since 2016. Oregon had four draft picks just last year.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I decided to check out the NDSU forum, what an arrogant bunch they are. Some good fans, but it’s incredible to see so many fans on there talk trash about how Oregon hasn’t won’t any national championships and they’ve won a bunch. The trash talk and disrespect towards Oregon is eye opening to show how arrogant and low quality that little fan base is. I’m sorry to the good NDSU fans that they have to be lumped into that group. I really hope the coaches and players see the noise those NDSU fans are making and just blow them out and run up the score on them.
My grandson plays for Linfield, a division 3 school. They brag about the fact they have not had a losing season in over 55 years, NCAA record. Outside of Whitworth and PLU, at times, most of the teams they play would be beaten by Mater Dei, John Boscoe? or any # of good HS. I like NDSU and the success they have had. Except when playing Ducks, I usually root for FCS when playing FBS. If NDSU were FBS they wouldn't have won any national championships. They have had more success against P5 schools than other FCS schools. They brag about the times they beat P5 schools and they should. On the other side, how many times have they played P5 schools and got whipped? This thread is quite comical; entertaining though. NDSU will not beat Ducks. A loss to them would hurt or end the Ducks chances at NC. They can lose and still win FCS NC. Early guess; Ducks 35-17.