NDSU/OREGON 2020

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Re: NDSU/OREGON 2020

Post by thebootfitter »

duck58 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I decided to check out the NDSU forum, what an arrogant bunch they are. Some good fans, but it’s incredible to see so many fans on there talk trash about how Oregon hasn’t won’t any national championships and they’ve won a bunch. The trash talk and disrespect towards Oregon is eye opening to show how arrogant and low quality that little fan base is. I’m sorry to the good NDSU fans that they have to be lumped into that group. I really hope the coaches and players see the noise those NDSU fans are making and just blow them out and run up the score on them.
My grandson plays for Linfield, a division 3 school. They brag about the fact they have not had a losing season in over 55 years, NCAA record. Outside of Whitworth and PLU, at times, most of the teams they play would be beaten by Mater Dei, John Boscoe? or any # of good HS. I like NDSU and the success they have had. Except when playing Ducks, I usually root for FCS when playing FBS. If NDSU were FBS they wouldn't have won any national championships. They have had more success against P5 schools than other FCS schools. They brag about the times they beat P5 schools and they should. On the other side, how many times have they played P5 schools and got whipped? This thread is quite comical; entertaining though. NDSU will not beat Ducks. A loss to them would hurt or end the Ducks chances at NC. They can lose and still win FCS NC. Early guess; Ducks 35-17.
This score prediction is realistic. Wouldn't surprise me if it is close to that. Of course, I'm hoping for a better outcome for the "little guys in green."

NDSU has never been "whipped" by an FBS team. (Unless you count ancient history before the divisions exist as they do today.) Their worst loss was 34-17 to Iowa State in arguably the worst season in recent Bison history. They avenged that loss by the same score a few years later.

Overall record vs FBS since their move to D-I is 9-3.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

thebootfitter wrote:
duck58 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I decided to check out the NDSU forum, what an arrogant bunch they are. Some good fans, but it’s incredible to see so many fans on there talk trash about how Oregon hasn’t won’t any national championships and they’ve won a bunch. The trash talk and disrespect towards Oregon is eye opening to show how arrogant and low quality that little fan base is. I’m sorry to the good NDSU fans that they have to be lumped into that group. I really hope the coaches and players see the noise those NDSU fans are making and just blow them out and run up the score on them.
My grandson plays for Linfield, a division 3 school. They brag about the fact they have not had a losing season in over 55 years, NCAA record. Outside of Whitworth and PLU, at times, most of the teams they play would be beaten by Mater Dei, John Boscoe? or any # of good HS. I like NDSU and the success they have had. Except when playing Ducks, I usually root for FCS when playing FBS. If NDSU were FBS they wouldn't have won any national championships. They have had more success against P5 schools than other FCS schools. They brag about the times they beat P5 schools and they should. On the other side, how many times have they played P5 schools and got whipped? This thread is quite comical; entertaining though. NDSU will not beat Ducks. A loss to them would hurt or end the Ducks chances at NC. They can lose and still win FCS NC. Early guess; Ducks 35-17.
This score prediction is realistic. Wouldn't surprise me if it is close to that. Of course, I'm hoping for a better outcome for the "little guys in green."

NDSU has never been "whipped" by an FBS team. (Unless you count ancient history before the divisions exist as they do today.) Their worst loss was 34-17 to Iowa State in arguably the worst season in recent Bison history. They avenged that loss by the same score a few years later.

Well, that is more impressive than I thought. I knew they were good. My point was that the Ducks have more to lose than Bisons and they know your history against fbs, so they won't be overlooking them. I would love to see us both win national championships. That would be more realistic for NDSU than UO. Ducks should finish ranked between 5-10 at seasons end. Outside the Ducks and maybe ASU the PAC-12 doesn't look that impressive next year. Really don't know where NDSU might fit. Maybe better than some think. Just can't see them beating the Ducks.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

maxduck wrote:
JBB wrote:
ncduck wrote:
NomadBison wrote:Just because something is shiny doesn’t mean it’s good. That in no way applies to Oregon or it’s resources. A hard hat and lunch bucket is all that’s needed. Pretty much everything NDSU does is privately funded and has little help from the state or relying on student fees. Some will claim that NDSU gets oil money. That is a BIG falsehood. Just a bunch of small town kids and coaches doing some great things and rising to the occasion.
I can wholeheartedly agree with the first sentence. The problem is all of the G5 schools have been pouring money into their facilities for a couple of decades. All of the coaches on the recruiting trail are pitching the quality of the facilities and how they can take the kids game to the next level and have them ready for the NFL. If you don't have the shiny after all the silver tongued devils have come through, you won't be landing the top recruits and the program won't grow.

The other coaches will come in and say, don't go to NDSU because if they don't have the facilities, how can the make you great?
NDSU players and coaches have a line into the NFL as good as anyone. We always have and have had players, coaches and head coaches in the NFL and there are a lot of Super Bowl rings on the hands of Bison players. Successful NDSU alums are found at every level of organized football.
A very brief internet search shows NDSU with 5 players in the NFL, only one drafted (5th round ) since 2016. Oregon had four draft picks just last year.
With ~30%. more scholarships that’s to be expected. Everything Oregon does is bigger, better, etc. You also spend $6 for every $1 NDSU spends. For our $1, according to your search, NDSU got 1 player drafted. For $6 O got at least 4. Seems about right.

Lots of FBS transfers in the FCS headed to the NFL. James Madison outspent NDSU 2:1 and got 2 drafted.

Anyway, according to my search

NDSU had 3 players drafted since 2016 with 1 in 2019
https://www.footballdb.com/draft/colleg ... kota+State

Oregon had 8 with 4 drafted in 2019.
https://www.footballdb.com/draft/college.html?c=Oregon

Glad those 4 did well in school and graduated.

As I said our line into the NFL is as good as anybody.

One big difference is the stars. Oregon drafts players with a lot of recruiting stars. NDSU develops players without the stars.

The Bison D Line and overall team speed may be ?s. I just can’t help thinking about the Montana, Wisconsin and AZ games though. Those games established The Ducks overall spectrum of play from great to not so great. There is no ? The Bison are competing within that spectrum with a real chance to win, especially with all those Oregon guys now in the NFL.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

I would love to see us both win national championships
Was hoping for that too but there will be only 1 defending national champion in Autzen. A defending Rose Bowl Champ is just as good though to set-up the David/Goliath game that could rise to national interest and another NDSU “Game-Day” appearance.
Last edited by JBB on Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Could be a few more no star Bison recruits headed to the NFL:
FARGO — In a way, Derrek Tuszka has always had to prove that coming from a smaller school or town is no obstacle. He’ll get that chance again later this month when the former North Dakota State defensive end gets on the biggest training stage there is in the NFL Combine.

Tuszka got an invitation to the event in Indianapolis that showcases the best NFL prospects from across the country, most from bigger Division I programs.

“Even though NDSU has proven to hold its own over the years, I’m still excited to show what my numbers are going to be like and have that exposure,” Tuszka said. “Just excited for the opportunity to compare me to the other guys from bigger schools.”
Tuszka redshirted in 2015. As a redshirt freshman the following year, he appeared in eight games and finished the season with four tackles. He moved into a starting role as a sophomore and the ascension to becoming one of the best defensive ends in the country went from there.

Tuszka will be the ninth Bison player in the past nine years to participate in the Combine. Quarterback Easton Stick parlayed his performance last year into a fifth round draft pick of the Los Angeles Chargers.
Tuszka is also scheduled to participate in NDSU’s Pro Day at the end of March along with tight end Ben Ellefson, cornerback Marquise Bridges, offensive lineman Zack Johnson, safety James Hendricks, running backs Ty Brooks and Dimitri Williams, receiver Jimmy Kepouros and defensive lineman Cole Karcz.
https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zon ... gger-stage
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

duck58 wrote:
thebootfitter wrote: This score prediction is realistic. Wouldn't surprise me if it is close to that. Of course, I'm hoping for a better outcome for the "little guys in green."

Well, that is more impressive than I thought. I knew they were good. My point was that the Ducks have more to lose than Bisons and they know your history against fbs, so they won't be overlooking them. I would love to see us both win national championships. That would be more realistic for NDSU than UO. Ducks should finish ranked between 5-10 at seasons end. Outside the Ducks and maybe ASU the PAC-12 doesn't look that impressive next year. Really don't know where NDSU might fit. Maybe better than some think. Just can't see them beating the Ducks.
I think the Bison beating the Ducks is a tall order, but not outside the realm of realistic possibility. What I am most looking forward to is a legitimate chance for the Bison to play a top 10 college football team in the country and see how they measure up. The Bison have consistently punched above their weight class to the point that it is now expected to some degree. Oregon is quite a bit above their weight class, but Oregon has also lost games to opponents that they should have beaten.

Like any college football team, we can only play who is on our schedule. Knocking NDSU for playing in the FCS against lesser competition is a valid point -- except that NDSU has regularly performed well against FBS teams as well. Given that most folks discount 2016 #13 Iowa as being overrated (probably true) and 2013 #26 K-State as being not that good (I think they also finished the season as AP#26 -- or maybe just around #25 in the computer models), the game against Oregon will be the first real measuring stick NDSU will have against one of the higher echelon FBS teams.

My main point is that I don't think NDSU will be embarrassed. And I think they'll play to give themselves a chance to win.

Below is a list of the NDSU games vs FBS teams. As you can see, none of these opponents are perennial world beaters in the realm of Top 10 FBS football. None of them would have been contenders for the CFP like Oregon was in 2019 and may be next year. But they are all FBS programs with much more money, better resources and facilities, higher ranked recruits that should have been able to hold off the "little guys in green." Many of these opponents have featured some high caliber NFL players. (JJ Watt, George Kittle, Tyler Lockett, Antonio Brown, etc.)

Two of these three losses happened in 2008 & 09 when the Bison were rebuilding and definitely a far cry from being "good." Yet they still weren't outclassed by these FBS teams that should have been, on paper, a far better team. The 9-10 loss to Minnesota in 2006 came down to a last-second field goal. It was pretty evident that NDSU belonged on the same field as the lowly B1G Minnesota team of 2006.

W 2016 23-21 AP#13 Iowa
W 2014 34-14 Iowa State
W 2013 24-21 AP#26 Kansas State
W 2012 22- 7 Colorado State
W 2011 37-24 Minnesota
W 2010 6- 3 Kansas
L 2009 17-34 Iowa State
L 2008 13-16 Wyoming
W 2007 44-14 Central Michigan
W 2007 27-21 Minnesota
L 2006 9-10 Minnesota
W 2006 29-24 Ball State
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

What's most impressive is last 6 in a row and 3 were solid.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

duck58 wrote:What's most impressive is last 6 in a row and 3 were solid.
I'm curious which is the third one that you're deeming as "solid." Iowa and K-State were respectable opponents, but other than that? I can't think of any others that a top-25 FBS team wouldn't have been significantly favored over.

Iowa State went 2-10 in 2014.
Colorado State is G5 and went 4-8 in 2012.
Minnesota went 3-9 in 2011.
Kansas is pretty much always garbage. They went 3-9 in 2010.

Outside of Iowa and K-State, I think the only other NDSU FBS scalp that is somewhat impressive is probably Central Michigan in 2007. They were the MAC champions that year and had JJ Watt and Antonio Brown on the team, and NDSU beat the snot out of them up and down the field on both sides of the ball. That game played out like NDSU was a quality P5 team and Central Michigan was a decent G5 team that just didn't have the horses to keep up.
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

I wouldn't read too much into this, but still somewhat interesting that NDSU vs Oregon made this list and Ohio State vs Oregon just made the "others to watch." ;-)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ane-kiffin
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

thebootfitter wrote:I wouldn't read too much into this, but still somewhat interesting that NDSU vs Oregon made this list and Ohio State vs Oregon just made the "others to watch." ;-)

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ane-kiffin
The year we played Iowa the game made the list of games that should have never been scheduled. :)
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

The 34-14 Iowa State win belongs with K State and Iowa. That was 34 unanswered points by The Bison sealing the deal on the rematch. NDSU was in a position to win the first one but it slipped away. I was at both. Iowa State has a beautiful Stadium.

The other two games are already in the instant classics book. The Bison swept Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Iowa. Big Red would fall if they would schedule NDSU but they won’t.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

thebootfitter wrote: W 2016 23-21 AP#13 Iowa finished 8-5
W 2014 34-14 Iowa State finished 2-10
W 2013 24-21 AP#26 Kansas State finished8-5

W 2012 22- 7 Colorado State finished 4-8

W 2011 37-24 Minnesota finished 3-9
W 2010 6- 3 Kansas finished 3-9
L 2009 17-34 Iowa State finished 7-6
L 2008 13-16 Wyoming finished 4-8
W 2007 44-14 Central Michigan finished 8-6

W 2007 27-21 Minnesota finished 1-11
L 2006 9-10 Minnesota finished 6-7
W 2006 29-24 Ball State finished 5-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

JBB wrote:
The 34-14 Iowa State win belongs with K State and Iowa. That was 34 unanswered points by The Bison sealing the deal on the rematch. NDSU was in a position to win the first one but it slipped away. I was at both. Iowa State has a beautiful Stadium.

The other two games are already in the instant classics book. The Bison swept Minnesota, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Iowa. Big Red would fall if they would schedule NDSU but they won’t.
I get that the Iowa State win (and all of the FBS wins really) are a pretty big deal from a Bison perspective, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of a fan of a top 5-10 college football program... Really? A convincing win over a cellar dweller Iowa State team that finished the season at 2-10? That's something that likely 50% of FBS teams could have accomplished in 2014.

As a Bison fan, I loved it! As an Oregon fan, hearing an upcoming opponent brag about it wouldn't impress me much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
thebootfitter
One Star Recruit

Post by thebootfitter »

chapelhillduck wrote:
thebootfitter wrote: W 2016 23-21 AP#13 Iowa finished 8-5
W 2014 34-14 Iowa State finished 2-10
W 2013 24-21 AP#26 Kansas State finished8-5

W 2012 22- 7 Colorado State finished 4-8

W 2011 37-24 Minnesota finished 3-9
W 2010 6- 3 Kansas finished 3-9
L 2009 17-34 Iowa State finished 7-6
L 2008 13-16 Wyoming finished 4-8
W 2007 44-14 Central Michigan finished 8-6

W 2007 27-21 Minnesota finished 1-11
L 2006 9-10 Minnesota finished 6-7
W 2006 29-24 Ball State finished 5-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you are reinforcing my point here. Thanks for adding the end of season records to the teams. It does offer a bit of valuable perspective.

-----
"Below is a list of the NDSU games vs FBS teams. As you can see, none of these opponents are perennial world beaters in the realm of Top 10 FBS football. None of them would have been contenders for the CFP like Oregon was in 2019 and may be next year. But they are all FBS programs with much more money, better resources and facilities, higher ranked recruits that should have been able to hold off the "little guys in green."
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

thebootfitter wrote:
JBB wrote:

I get that the Iowa State win (and all of the FBS wins really) are a pretty big deal from a Bison perspective, but if you're looking at it from the perspective of a fan of a top 5-10 college football program... Really? A convincing win over a cellar dweller Iowa State team that finished the season at 2-10? That's something that likely 50% of FBS teams could have accomplished in 2014.

As a Bison fan, I loved it! As an Oregon fan, hearing an upcoming opponent brag about it wouldn't impress me much.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Those were the 3 I had in mind. Iowa and K-State because of ranking(didn't realize they were both 8-5), though they were close. Iowa State because you apparently steamrolled them. If UO had played NDSU last year, I doubt we would have steamrolled them as badly as we did USC or even Utah.