NDSU/OREGON 2020

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

JBB
Two Star Recruit

Re: NDSU/OREGON 2020

Post by JBB »

thebootfitter wrote:
JBB wrote:I said Wisconsin was good, not that good. I didn't say NDSU was better than Wisconsin. NDSU is competitive with Wisconsin though. That is what is revealing. A box score similar to the Rose Bowl wouldn't surprise me at all. The badgers put up 332 vs The Ducks. 350 for The Bison is not out of the question at all.

The fact the BISON are better than the Griz in every phase of the game at every position should be obvious. Where were the Griz when The BISON were racking up national championship after national championship?
JBB wrote:The wisconsin badgers suck. Their AD is the worst small man in college football. Whine, cry object and won't return calls while demanding others don't as well. NDSU has to drive all the way out to Oregon to get a game of this magnitude when Madison is just down the road.

Im down in Key West. Almost 10 PM here. Kicked out of the hotel in the morning. Will be back in central FL tomorrow.
So... which is it??? Wisconsin is good? Or they suck? Or did you mean that the football team is good, but the program sucks because their AD won't schedule the Bison in football?

Wisconsin has a good football team and their program sucks off the field. Their AD has led the charge to exclude FCS/FBS Big 10 games. Hence the 2 posts: One referencing the football team the next their AD and the shade he casts on their program.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

It easily has the potential to be the biggest game in program history for the Bison football program in terms of national exposure and establishing their place in the whole world of college football rather than just DII or FCS.
This is a big game, but its going to have to draw the same coast-to-coast attention The Bison/Hawkeye game got. It was a BISON Super Bowl and got to rise to the level of "The Biggest Game" ever because it was bad, it was nationwide on Fox Sports 1. This one might get Game Day. Ive learned GD frequents Oregon and the Oregon fans have learned of the NDSU exposure GD has given them. Get that and its big. At any rate the game is a Super Bowl for NDSU maybe not so much Oregn even though they rarely get the chance to play a defending national football champion.

Ohio State is Oregons Super Bowl.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Not an Xs & Os guy myself, I prognostic likely lines and outcomes of spread, winner, over/under. Some of you may be interested in Cover 1s take on the Bison power game. This is getting criticized in Fargo as revealing Bison secrets but the success of the power run game has been turning heads and drawing interest for a number of years at all levels of football.

https://www.cover1.net/north-dakota-sta ... ariations/
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

The bigger they are the harder they are going to fall:
The NCAA will reduce its direct distribution to Division I conferences and schools for 2020 by about $375 million to $225 million, the association announced Thursday.
Division I public-school athletics departments generally received 2% to 5% of their total operating revenue in fiscal 2019 from the NCAA
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 916805001/

2% of $27 mill = $.54 million 5% of 27 mill = $1.35 mill for the possible range of the hit to Oregon football

2% of $5.7 million = $.114 million 5% of $5.7 million = $.285 million for the possible range of the hit to NDSU football
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

JBB wrote:The bigger they are the harder they are going to fall:
The NCAA will reduce its direct distribution to Division I conferences and schools for 2020 by about $375 million to $225 million, the association announced Thursday.
Division I public-school athletics departments generally received 2% to 5% of their total operating revenue in fiscal 2019 from the NCAA
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 916805001/

2% of $27 mill = $.54 million 5% of 27 mill = $1.35 mill for the possible range of the hit to Oregon football

2% of $5.7 million = $.114 million 5% of $5.7 million = $.285 million for the possible range of the hit to NDSU football
We have boosters not named Phil Knight who fart and find that much cash.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

JBB made the statement that NDSU may be the only defending national football team they have played(obviously referring to Ducks). That's ridiculous if you just think for even a second. Without checking records; more than one USC, Oklahoma(preseason)teams, at least one UCLA, Nebraska, Washington(split) etc. Some we played the year they won the NC I remember we use to play OU a lot when they were dominant
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

duck58 wrote:JBB made the statement that NDSU may be the only defending national football team they have played(obviously referring to Ducks). That's ridiculous if you just think for even a second. Without checking records; more than one USC, Oklahoma(preseason)teams, at least one UCLA, Nebraska, Washington(split) etc. Some we played the year they won the NC I remember we use to play OU a lot when they were dominant
I’d we’re going just of defending national champs then Florida State is our most recent one. That was 2015. They were riding a 29 game win streak? Yeah, they lost by 39. Before that, USC? And we are talking REAL D1 champions, not JV.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

duck58 wrote:JBB made the statement that NDSU may be the only defending national football team they have played(obviously referring to Ducks). That's ridiculous if you just think for even a second. Without checking records; more than one USC, Oklahoma(preseason)teams, at least one UCLA, Nebraska, Washington(split) etc. Some we played the year they won the NC I remember we use to play OU a lot when they were dominant
That's the value of the board. Oregon is not in our lane. I have no idea what the past schedules are for the Ducks. By inquiring we find out.

We were talking about the shortfall in distributions last night. I suppose its true there are money-bags surrounding the Ducks football team with very deep pockets. In addition, and the focus of the discussion last night, with sports cancelled for the rest of the season, there will also be savings. It's a wash.

Both teams should hit the field fully funded.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
I’d we’re going just of defending national champs then Florida State is our most recent one. That was 2015. They were riding a 29 game win streak? Yeah, they lost by 39. Before that, USC? And we are talking REAL D1 champions, not JV.
I was talking about playing a #1 ranked defending national champion. I looked at the 2014-2015 season. Maybe some of the others mentioned did hold the #1 ranking along with a defending title, I don't know.

A little recap on the Florida State claim:

They may have been riding a 29 game win streak defending a national title but Fl State finished the season ranked #2 and lost to the Ducks in the Rose Bowl as mentioned.

In the final rankings of the regular season Fl State was ranked #2 behind Alabama and finished tied for 4th with Alabama after the bowl games. I'm not sure about the other teams but Fl State was not ranked #1 when the Ducks beat them. That was also the beginning of what was a long slide into the middle of the pack for the Seminoles. You may have knocked the stuffing out of them. But the claim falls flat.

The Bison are ranked #1 and are defending national champions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA ... l_rankings
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

JBB wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
I was talking about playing a #1 ranked defending national champion. I looked at the 2014-2015 season. Maybe some of the others mentioned did hold the #1 ranking along with a defending title, I don't know.

A little recap on the Florida State claim:

They may have been riding a 29 game win streak defending a national title but Fl State finished the season ranked #2 and lost to the Ducks in the Rose Bowl as mentioned.

In the final rankings of the regular season Fl State was ranked #2 behind Alabama and finished tied for 4th with Alabama after the bowl games. I'm not sure about the other teams but Fl State was not ranked #1 when the Ducks beat them. That was also the beginning of what was a long slide into the middle of the pack for the Seminoles. You may have knocked the stuffing out of them. But the claim falls flat.

The Bison are ranked #1 and are defending national champions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NCAA ... l_rankings
Dude, please just give it up.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

The most difficult line to make in college football is the game between teams in different divisions or subdivisions. Obviously the level of competition is not the same and there is always the discussion about over-all talent levels, resources and depth. Coaching also comes into the discussion.

Duck fans think of teams like Montana when looking at the FCS. Good competitive FCS squads but not dominate and not overly loaded with great players. The schedules aren't really that tough and the teams that come in to Autzen haven't been the elites. Montana didn't even make the playoffs last season much less look competitive against the top FCS teams in the country.

Depth is really not an issue based on a single game. NDSU will have fewer scholarships but they will be solid all along the 2-deep. They will also field some of the best players in all of college football. They will have speed and strength. Coaching will be on par.

The Bison schedule is not a strong as the Ducks but there is nobody on it that can beat them. That is proven looking at the 38 consecutive wins over several years including a head coaching change. The wins were against the best in the division. The program is much smaller than Oregon's but on par, not equipped to play a full Pac 12 schedule but certainly in a position to be competitive with any Pac 12 team on any given Saturday.

The Bison have the best players and coaches in the FCS division.

A team like the University of North Dakota that plays in the middle of the FCS pack can put up some impressive statistics that will make them look competitive against a good FBS team. The GAM, without adjustment shows UND within 5 of Kansas State next season 29-24. Several things indicate an upset in next years UND @ Kstate is not in the cards.

UND fairs poorly against the top of the FCS. The Bison beat them by about 4-5 TDs last year. UND was a playoff bubble team and lost decisively at Nichols state, another also-ran, in the first round. Even though KState is not an elite FBS team they are superior in every way to the UND squad. A 29-24 game is unlikely and after adjustment that fact becomes clear.

The KState offense plays on an 84 yd virtual field while UND plays on a 101 yard field.

The KState defense plays on a 121 yd virtual field, UND a 98 yd field.

Those numbers are used by the stand-alone MAC Pro that calculates the GAM lines by developing ratios that are applied as coefficients to the overall offensive and defensive average game performance equations. After adjustment it's no longer KState 29-24 it's KState 35-19. UND does poorly on the road so we add 3 to the KState score to make the line Kstate 38-19. It's KState -19 not -5.

The Bison offense plays on an 89 yd virtual field, Oregon 86

The Bison defense plays on a 160 yd virtual field, Oregon 111.

A straight up run using last season overall statistics shows the Bison to be +2 to Oregon 24-22. Since The Bison have a tremendous road record no advantage is given to Oregon for home field. If the home field is applied we get the Bison +5.

After the aforementioned adjustments the score becomes NDSU Bison 25 Oregon 22. Bison -3. Applying the home field its a toss-up.

Whats happening is the seasonal performance of each team is being weighted against its peers on offense and defense. The Bison are much better against their FCS peers, especially on defense, than Oregon is against their FBS peers.

These forecasted outcomes seem to defy the logic of huge money disparities, level of competition, coaching, talent, 2 video boards, etc. That is exactly what we are hoping for. We feel the chances of this game being miss-priced by MIDAS is very high because the line makers will fall into the trap that NDSU = Montana or NDSU = the rest of the FCS when its actually NDSU > the FCS in all aspects of the game making this game much close than it appears.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

As some begin to throw shade on the upcoming college football season there is some hope.

How about this game being played in May or June?

Report: NCAA could consider playing college football season in the summer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-BB11QoSJ
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Top 20 players under 20 years of age. Both NDSU and Oregon have a player on the list. For NDSU it’s QB Trey Lance

https://247sports.com/college/north-dak ... 145460255/
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

JBB wrote:Top 20 players under 20 years of age. Both NDSU and Oregon have a player on the list. For NDSU it’s QB Trey Lance

Come on now, you can do better than that. You know we have two on the list...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UofDuck wrote:
JBB wrote:Top 20 players under 20 years of age. Both NDSU and Oregon have a player on the list. For NDSU it’s QB Trey Lance

Come on now, you can do better than that. You know we have two on the list...
Seriously a list for top 20 under 20? Why did I open this thread again.........