Ohio State @ Oregon - (Sept 12, TV TBA)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

JBB
Two Star Recruit

Re: Ohio State @ Oregon - (Sept 12, TV TBA)

Post by JBB »

Just out a look at Ohio States roster. The best in the land they say

https://youtu.be/KwKVXgS_wvU
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

I really do not care if we win or lose. I wish we could have had a normal spring and summer season because I want to see our new offense. I love where our recruiting and defense is at but the last couple years our offense has been so boring I find myself not even paying attention and just rewinding when I see they scored to watch that play. So different than back in the day when I was afraid to take a piss because I was afraid I would miss a score.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

huckthefuskies wrote:I really do not care if we win or lose. I wish we could have had a normal spring and summer season because I want to see our new offense. I love where our recruiting and defense is at but the last couple years our offense has been so boring I find myself not even paying attention and just rewinding when I see they scored to watch that play. So different than back in the day when I was afraid to take a piss because I was afraid I would miss a score.
I mean if Covid messes up the regular schedule of things but we win it all how many would feel differently?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:
huckthefuskies wrote:I really do not care if we win or lose. I wish we could have had a normal spring and summer season because I want to see our new offense. I love where our recruiting and defense is at but the last couple years our offense has been so boring I find myself not even paying attention and just rewinding when I see they scored to watch that play. So different than back in the day when I was afraid to take a piss because I was afraid I would miss a score.
I mean if Covid messes up the regular schedule of things but we win it all how many would feel differently?
I don't care if they win every game 3-0, if Oregon wins a freakin national championship I will be more excited and happy than ever as a duck fan. Sure it was fun watching them have an exciting offense, but it seems for the most part they never had enough to win a championship. Winning comes before style of play.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
I don't care if they win every game 3-0, if Oregon wins a freakin national championship I will be more excited and happy than ever as a duck fan. Sure it was fun watching them have an exciting offense, but it seems for the most part they never had enough to win a championship. Winning comes before style of play.
Yes. Of course it was fun when if you looked down you might miss a touchdown. But, if the Ducks win 3-0 or 56-3, it's a W, Winning>Entertaining. The idea that last season, 12-2, Rose Bowl champion was a snore fest, is one that I can't understand.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Merganzer wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
Yes. Of course it was fun when if you looked down you might miss a touchdown. But, if the Ducks win 3-0 or 56-3, it's a W, Winning>Entertaining. The idea that last season, 12-2, Rose Bowl champion was a snore fest, is one that I can't understand.
For me the issue isn't that it was a snorefest but rather the offense felt like a huge liability when there was enough talent that they shouldn't have been. I truly believe Oregon was more talented than every team on their schedule last season but the offense kept them from going undefeated. In the end though I doubt Oregon would've been able to beat LSU, OSU, or Clemson last year so no way they would've won the playoffs but it was frustrating to see the poor offensive playcalling hold the team back.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
For me the issue isn't that it was a snorefest but rather the offense felt like a huge liability when there was enough talent that they shouldn't have been. I truly believe Oregon was more talented than every team on their schedule last season but the offense kept them from going undefeated. In the end though I doubt Oregon would've been able to beat LSU, OSU, or Clemson last year so no way they would've won the playoffs but it was frustrating to see the poor offensive playcalling hold the team back.
I agree with 90% of this post. I've now gone back and watched highlights of all of the games from last season and in hindsight, a top 5 finish and a Rose Bowl victory is pretty amazing. We could have/should have beaten both Auburn and ASU, on the flip side, we could have easily lost to: UW, WSU, OSU (if they drove the field and got a 2pt conversion) and maybe Cal if we throw a poorly timed pick 6. Last season we truly became Stanford from 09-17. We were the better team but our slow paced, stagnant offense kept some teams in the game but it also helped keep the ball away and limit possessions for other teams and kept our defense well rested to dominate.

On the totality of the season, 12-2 and a Rose Bowl is amazing....but it was just different than beating teams 56-27 like we did under Chip and sometimes Helf.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Merganzer wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
I agree with 90% of this post. I've now gone back and watched highlights of all of the games from last season and in hindsight, a top 5 finish and a Rose Bowl victory is pretty amazing. We could have/should have beaten both Auburn and ASU, on the flip side, we could have easily lost to: UW, WSU, OSU (if they drove the field and got a 2pt conversion) and maybe Cal if we throw a poorly timed pick 6. Last season we truly became Stanford from 09-17. We were the better team but our slow paced, stagnant offense kept some teams in the game but it also helped keep the ball away and limit possessions for other teams and kept our defense well rested to dominate.

On the totality of the season, 12-2 and a Rose Bowl is amazing....but it was just different than beating teams 56-27 like we did under Chip and sometimes Helf.
If we can somehow become more balanced, so that both styles are on the table for any given game, watch out!

Oregon could be pretty nigh invincible in the preseason and PAC 12 play.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Exactly what woundedknees said! It's one thing if the offense was always intently on playing slow to play to the strength of the defense, but I can't imagine many offensive strategies that call for quick 3 and outs, especially on consecutive drives; unless you have Bobby Boucher as middle linebacker of course. We had a lot of bad and quick 3 and outs where the defense bailed out the offense. I wouldn't call what the offense did last season as playing to the defensive strengths, but rather needing to be bailed out by the defense. There were some games where Oregon got lucky to win last season, luckily the offense seemed to have barely done enough to bail out the defense in the games they played poorly (pretty much the Washington schools), but I think we all can agree the offense needs to be more consistent going forward than it has been the last couple years.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Amazing how productive our offense was with one simple change-Herbert running the ball. Completely changed the offense. Receivers started getting open and drives were long and finished...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Exactly what woundedknees said! It's one thing if the offense was always intently on playing slow to play to the strength of the defense, but I can't imagine many offensive strategies that call for quick 3 and outs, especially on consecutive drives; unless you have Bobby Boucher as middle linebacker of course. We had a lot of bad and quick 3 and outs where the defense bailed out the offense. I wouldn't call what the offense did last season as playing to the defensive strengths, but rather needing to be bailed out by the defense. There were some games where Oregon got lucky to win last season, luckily the offense seemed to have barely done enough to bail out the defense in the games they played poorly (pretty much the Washington schools), but I think we all can agree the offense needs to be more consistent going forward than it has been the last couple years.
Agree with this. There certainly was room for improvement on the offensive side, which when fixed will enhance the win probability. My assertion was against the notion of a team being, "entertaining" being the most important.
Ever since Chip left, I have seen/ heard comments that Oregon football just wasn't fun to watch anymore, to the point that winning or losing isn't even important, because it was boring. This is not the same as being frustrated with an inefficient offense.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

nogerO wrote:Amazing how productive our offense was with one simple change-Herbert running the ball. Completely changed the offense. Receivers started getting open and drives were long and finished...
You mean doing the very thing that make the Pistol most effective worked for a Pistol run offense? Wow! What a concept!
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Hopefully, there is enough depth at quarterback for Oregon to allow the guys a chance to take advantage of a running quarterback, as Herbert did the last 2 games... The manifesto to not run the quarterback was tantamount to 'plying scared", IMO.

That's like playing prevent D before anyone scores.

Use your weapons! An arsenal is worthless if the warriors are locked out!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

According to this theDucks have a 48% chance of beating the Buckeyes. That’s a little better than the chances most are willing to give The Bison against the Ducks but it does once again highlight the similarities of where the Ducks find themselves in relation to this game and The Bison for their game in Eugene.

A look at the Mighty Ohio State Buckeyes

https://youtu.be/dt_EE1BYWCc
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

Been an Ohio State morning. Lots of changes on the OSU lineup giving the Ducks hope. This is a look at the 2020 Buckeyes roster

https://youtu.be/dt_EE1BYWCc