Troubling comments from Herbert?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Merganzer
Senior

Troubling comments from Herbert?

Post by Merganzer »

At the combine, Herbert took some questions, and as reported on, "Get Up", his responses included, "I've never taken a snap from under center", and on playing right now, "I don't think that would be in my best interest".

A couple of the commentators thought it wasn't that big of a deal, two others went back to what McShay brought up a while ago, and that those comments could affect his draft stock.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Re: Troubling comments from Herbert?

Post by JIDuck97 »

Personally I find it more problematic that lying gets people ahead. No one is ready for the NFL from day 1 imo.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

He's not wrong. QB's are much better when they don't get their heads bashed in year 1, and instead get to sit and watch. Unfortunately, teams no longer allow that to happen.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Top NFL QBs

Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes all sat at least one season

I would say, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson and Dak all played decently as rookies but typically rookie QBs really struggle
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

Honest statements from Herbert. Rare quality from most people nowadays.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I see no problem, lots of film to review. He mad the right choice
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

JIDuck97 wrote:Personally I find it more problematic that lying gets people ahead. No one is ready for the NFL from day 1 imo.
This is what I took away from it as well. The Draft has become a scripted event. I thought Herbert showed a refreshing honesty; there is no disputing his answers.
SteelTown43
Two Star Recruit

Post by SteelTown43 »

People need to actually read whyat Justin said. When asked if he will be ready to play in the NFL from day one, he responded that since he'd never played a down in the NFL before, and didnt know the speed of the game, he wasn't sure if he'd be ready day one, and that for him to say unequivocally that he is ready might not be in his best interest. He certainly didn't say that playing, at any point, would not be in his best interest. Ridiculous.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I’m not troubled at all by these comments. I would find it troubling if I knew he felt that way, but was a liar.

Hopefully, he drops a bit and ends up on a loaded team. I want him to have the best chance to succeed.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Just another example of fake media parsing and taking out of context to fit their own narrative or opinion. Justin telling the truth was basically turned into something he didn't mean or say. "Reporting" at it's finest...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

Get Up is a dumb show that is just looking for hot takes. Herbert is like Mariota. There are not any character red flags which the media says is a red flag lol
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

ncduck wrote:I’m not troubled at all by these comments. I would find it troubling if I knew he felt that way, but was a liar.

Hopefully, he drops a bit and ends up on a loaded team. I want him to have the best chance to succeed.
This could be happening. The talk now is that Jordan Love, from Utah State, has jumped past Herbert as QB3, behind Burrow, and Tugavaiola,
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Better measurables. Better experience. Outplayed him at the Senior Bowl.

Your move, NFL.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

StevensTechU wrote:Better measurables. Better experience. Outplayed him at the Senior Bowl.

Your move, NFL.

This is the crazy world of the NFL Draft, the ESPN talking Heads are split, Kiper is still saying that Herbert is 3d. McShay & Louis Riddick are driving the Love Machine; telling us that Love's last season should be ignored, brand new system, new players, new OC, and refer to 2018.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/0 ... rbert.html

Todd McShay bets Mel Kiper Jr. $5,000 Jordan Love will be drafted before Justin Herbert
Updated 7:13 AM; Today 7:12 AM
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Can't blame Herbert for doing everything he can to not play for the Bengals ;)