WR Coach Bouknight Out

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: WR Coach Bouknight Out

Post by buckmarkduck »

gogreen55 wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:There apparently were questions about his work ethic and ability to recruit. He was supposedly encouraged to find a new job in Jan and that should come to a close soon. I expect another home-run hire to MC.
Well, Mario dropped the ball with Bouknight. It is one of the few examples of Mario making a poor hire, so hopefully it is an isolated incident. With Mario's rigorous interview process, I am surprised he didn't get an indication that Bouknight wouldn't be able/willing to recruit at the level required.

As a coach, the WR improved a lot from last year. He just hates the hours, and dropped the ball on recruiting.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I am curious whether this exit is the reason Prentice Gill's exit was so ugly? Do you think that Prentice's claims of false promises was related to not getting the call since cosch Bo was not going to be retained? Seems logical.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

jimmy12 wrote:I am curious whether this exit is the reason Prentice Gill's exit was so ugly? Do you think that Prentice's claims of false promises was related to not getting the call since cosch Bo was not going to be retained? Seems logical.
Prentice wouldn’t have been the guy either way.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

That’s exactly what i am saying
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

If it is true that they mutually chose to part ways and that Cristobal encouraged him to get another job months ago, then I am surprised that a replacement hasn't been named yet. They seem unprepared for this change. You would think that having a WR's coach in place for the spring practices would be pretty important.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

karlhungis wrote:If it is true that they mutually chose to part ways and that Cristobal encouraged him to get another job months ago, then I am surprised that a replacement hasn't been named yet. They seem unprepared for this change. You would think that having a WR's coach in place for the spring practices would be pretty important.
While I agree it is important it also to me says that they trust their assistants. Cristobals track record thus far on coaching hires is pretty good.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It's also possible that he was waiting for the new O.C. to get settled so that he could have some input as well.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Most probable according to JHop:
Brennan Marion - Hawaii
Chip Long - Tennessee
Bryan McClendon - South Carolina

I really like McClendon but he's making 1mil at SC, I doubt we can match that, although, he did just get demoted.

Chip Long would be my next favorite out of those. Great recruiter but had some issues with Brian Kelly at ND (who doesn't?). how do you go from successful OC at ND to analyst at Tennesse in one offseason. I wonder what's up with him.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phenom wrote:Most probable according to JHop:
Brennan Marion - Hawaii
Chip Long - Tennessee
Bryan McClendon - South Carolina

I really like McClendon but he's making 1mil at SC, I doubt we can match that, although, he did just get demoted.

Chip Long would be my next favorite out of those. Great recruiter but had some issues with Brian Kelly at ND (who doesn't?). how do you go from successful OC at ND to analyst at Tennesse in one offseason. I wonder what's up with him.
Wasn't Long interviewed for our OC position?
OregonFan4life -
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

karlhungis wrote:Wasn't Long interviewed for our OC position?
He was.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

If we're going by twitter follows it looks like Brennan Marion is the guy. A bunch of guys Oregon is recruiting for 2021 and 2022 have followed him over the past few days. Maybe some of them heard something this weekend.

Would be kind of a meh hire, he doesn't have too much experience. But identifying rising young assistants is a part of the game. Maybe he'll be hungry and work his ass off. Both Mike London and Todd Graham liked him enough to give him chances. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or not.

A big name would be nice, but I'd just like someone who can recruit and close on some of these great WRs.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GoDucksTroll wrote:If we're going by twitter follows it looks like Brennan Marion is the guy. A bunch of guys Oregon is recruiting for 2021 and 2022 have followed him over the past few days. Maybe some of them heard something this weekend.

Would be kind of a meh hire, he doesn't have too much experience. But identifying rising young assistants is a part of the game. Maybe he'll be hungry and work his ass off. Both Mike London and Todd Graham liked him enough to give him chances. I'm not entirely sure if that's a good thing or not.

A big name would be nice, but I'd just like someone who can recruit and close on some of these great WRs.
Moorhead supposedly like Marion. Like you mentioned, I hope he can recruit if he's the guy but I would like a more proven entity. Bouknight proved not to be the recruiter people thought he would be.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phenom wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If we're going by twitter follows it looks like Brennan Marion is the guy. A bunch of guys Oregon is recruiting for 2021 and 2022 have followed him over the past few days. Maybe some of them heard something this weekend.

Moorhead supposedly like Marion. Like you mentioned, I hope he can recruit if he's the guy but I would like a more proven entity. Bouknight proved not to be the recruiter people thought he would be.
Can't say I was a fan of Moorehead's last WR coach.
OregonFan4life -