Autzen Stadium video/audio upgrades

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Autzen Stadium video/audio upgrades

Post by greenyellow »

So it looks like Autzen will finally be getting some major upgrades to the sound system and an additional large video screen on the east end of the stadium, at a cost of around $12 million. Here's the meeting materials for Board of Trustees meeting set for later this month:
https://trustees.uoregon.edu/sites/trus ... h_2020.pdf
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Autzen Stadium video/audio upgrades

Post by GoDucksTroll »

1. This is as awesome of a design as I could imagine.

2. It makes the stadium look really different and conflicts me a bit.

3. When I first heard this was happening I assumed they were making the big DuckVision screen bigger. But cool that everyone will be able to see it from everywhere in the stadium.

4. The sound system upgrade was desperately needed.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Is this on the same end zone? If so not everyone can see it, they need something on both ends
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:Is this on the same end zone? If so not everyone can see it, they need something on both ends
This upgrade is for the east end of the stadium; the video board on the west end will remain as well.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

The investor in me wonders how on Earth this is going to sell $12 million more in tickets than if they didn't do it.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:The investor in me wonders how on Earth this is going to sell $12 million more in tickets than if they didn't do it.
It won’t sell more tickets. But it was a much clamored for update. The Oregon AD is fiscally responsible. Someone, whoever they may be, must have found some spare change in the seat cushions of their G6 and a proposal was brought forth. Based on the mock up, which undoubtedly came with engineering foresight, this has been in the works for a while.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

So desperately over due. 8 years ago it baffled me just how terrible their sound system was.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

StevensTechU wrote:The investor in me wonders how on Earth this is going to sell $12 million more in tickets than if they didn't do it.
Seems to me like having strong facilities is an important asset for a program's brand, even if it doesn't directly return a profit. I mean, couldn't your point be made for most capital upgrades (other than adding more seats or boxes)? And it can't be right that just never upgrading your stadium is the best investment strategy.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Tray Dub wrote:
Seems to me like having strong facilities is an important asset for a program's brand, even if it doesn't directly return a profit. I mean, couldn't your point be made for most capital upgrades (other than adding more seats or boxes)? And it can't be right that just never upgrading your stadium is the best investment strategy.
That's the thing; there's always an alternative. Would it be better to sack $12M away for future expansion of seats? Or perhaps pay $5M for upgraded sound but save the other $7M for another use? Another Joey-like campaign but for Penei Sewell?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

According to this article, the video board structure will likely be the largest in college football.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Thanks!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine