Post by Merganzer »

#4 Oregon. Looks good.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Early USA Today Top 25 poll

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Wow #4 is a lot higher than I was expecting with a brand new QB with no experience.

That Oregon vs Ohio State might be the most anticipated game of the year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
RebelDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by RebelDuck »

Very surprised with a #4 ranking with a new QB, depleted starting OL and unsure about the TE position.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I think the ranking is largely based on fate fact that Oregon legit may have the best defense in the nation this year. Yes there’s some question marks on the offense but the good news is those question mark positions certainly have talent, it’ll be interesting to see how the talent pans out.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I think the ranking is largely based on fate fact that Oregon legit may have the best defense in the nation this year. Yes there’s some question marks on the offense but the good news is those question mark positions certainly have talent, it’ll be interesting to see how the talent pans out.
I think part of it is the respect Cristabol is getting nationally with his recruiting and hires.

It is way too early, while I would love to see the ducks rise to a annual national top 10 team I think we may be a season or two away from that. I doubt we hang on to finish a top ten team with a young offense.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I think the high ranking is to intentionally set up a top 5 matchup in week 2. I don't think you can justify that ranking any other way. New QB, with almost zero meaningful experience, and one that the coaches have shown they aren't terribly happy with based off of all of the transfer rumors. A new Offensive coordinator. No WR coach and no time to break in the new offense. I think we may click and be a solid team by the end of the year but I don't think we should be anywhere near the top 10 to open the season.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:I think the high ranking is to intentionally set up a top 5 matchup in week 2. I don't think you can justify that ranking any other way. New QB, with almost zero meaningful experience, and one that the coaches have shown they aren't terribly happy with based off of all of the transfer rumors. A new Offensive coordinator. No WR coach and no time to break in the new offense. I think we may click and be a solid team by the end of the year but I don't think we should be anywhere near the top 10 to open the season.
Transfer rumors???? Care to elaborate??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregon is still supposedly looking at taking a grad transfer QB, namely Anthony Brown from Boston College.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

greenyellow wrote:Oregon is still supposedly looking at taking a grad transfer QB, namely Anthony Brown from Boston College.
Not to mention the handful of other transfers they have seemed to show interest in.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Has Oregon actually shown any interest in those grad transfers? I've heard some grad transfers have had interest in Oregon but I've never heard anything clarifying if there was any interest on Oregon's side.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

karlhungis wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Oregon is still supposedly looking at taking a grad transfer QB, namely Anthony Brown from Boston College.
Not to mention the handful of other transfers they have seemed to show interest in.
I think that's more a matter of depth. I read somewhere that Brown is aware there's a good possibility he could be the backup. I believe they are confident in Shough, but the depth behind him has zero experience. Don't want to throw freshmen to the wolves like they had to with Burmeister, if at all avoidable. If Brown turns out to be a revelation and outplays Shough, then it's a win-win.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Brown came to Eugene on a visit, so that certainly looks like interest. Not sure what would be holding things up from there, though.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Brown came to Eugene on a visit, so that certainly looks like interest. Not sure what would be holding things up from there, though.
Did Oregon or the player pay for the visit? This raises the question of who generally pays for a visit by a player in the transfer portal? Do they count against the NCAA limit on official visits? I assume the rules are similar to those for high school recruits but we all know the value of assumptions. Anybody know the rules?
DuckzRule
Four Star Recruit

Post by DuckzRule »

*Sees that Georgia is ranked higher than Oregon AGAIN*

What the heck is wrong with everyone who makes this rankings? Oregon > Georgia