Senior

That didn't happen. Did it?

Post by Merganzer »

Unfortunately, they all did.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: That didn't happen. Did it?

Post by OregonFan4Life »

For some reason that 2012 season stings most for me cause I do believe that was the best Oregon team of all time and easily the best team in the nation (they would've destroyed Notre Dame and handled Bama). I couldn't choose between those two choices you had for that game, and in reality, there's a dozen more plays where Stanford got a lucky break and an Oregon player made a once in a liftetime knucklehead mistake. That truly was a nightmare game. Just a few other choices for that game alone:

-DAT having his knee down for no reason on a screen pass that went for a large gain.
-Maldonado missing an easy field goal in the 4th qtr that was practically an extra point that would've put Oregon up 17-7 (worst Oregon player ever?) .
-Lowe dropping an easy 4th down catch in the redzone when Oregon was moving down the field and had momentum.
-Marcus overthrowing Colt who was a few yards in front of him for an easy first down, also deep in Stanford's territory.
-The refs not knowing the rules which Stanford took advantage of by lining up illegally half the game (Pac-12 refs, not a surprise).
-Ifo dropping an easy pick six right before Ertz's "touchdown".

Basically, that game was destined to go against Oregon. Oregon was a far superior team to that slightly above average Stanford team, but just came out unprepared and nothing could go their way. If they played 100 times that season Oregon wins 99 times, with 97 of those wins being a blowout.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

2001 loss to Stanford. and then yeah the DAT block Stanford loss with Mariota.

Those two make me sad.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

UOducksTK1 wrote:2001 loss to Stanford. and then yeah the DAT block Stanford loss with Mariota.

Those two make me sad.
Oregon and Stanford have a weird relationship in that they love to play spoiler for each other. Oregon has spoiled Stanford's natty chances a few times also.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Dyer was down.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

All hurt, but I believe Dye was the final straw in a game seriously altered in a major way by "errors in judgement on the part of certain "Individuals who shall remain nameless".

Newton's fumble, recovered by Oregon, ruled as a dead ball... Cliff Harris INT, ruled as incomplete with a mysterious ground fault caused fumble (Err, the ground can't cause fumbles, can it?)... added to the no whistle Dye run, among other incidents, left that game permanently scarred into the memory of any Duck fan with a soul.

Anyone up for poisoning a Heritage Tree?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

They all hurt. But the one that stings me the most still is Dat's missed block. It wasn't a dropped pass, an injury, an overthrown pass. it actually wasn't a missed block, Dat just didn't want to bother with it.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Dyer was not down though. You play til you hear the whistle. There was no whistle. Instead of standing around make sure he is down. The same thing happened with Maurice Morris against Colorado I believe. Kids need to learn to play til the whistle. If no whistle then guy is not ruled down. I may not be a player or a coach but I do know have to play til whistle is heard.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Dyer was not down though. You play til you hear the whistle. There was no whistle. Instead of standing around make sure he is down. The same thing happened with Maurice Morris against Colorado I believe. Kids need to learn to play til the whistle. If no whistle then guy is not ruled down. I may not be a player or a coach but I do know have to play til whistle is heard.
The difference was Dyer's wrist touched the ground and under review should have been end of the play. Mo Morris essentially sat on a defender and even under a replay system was obviously not down.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

ncduck wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:Dyer was not down though. You play til you hear the whistle. There was no whistle. Instead of standing around make sure he is down. The same thing happened with Maurice Morris against Colorado I believe. Kids need to learn to play til the whistle. If no whistle then guy is not ruled down. I may not be a player or a coach but I do know have to play til whistle is heard.
The difference was Dyer's wrist touched the ground and under review should have been end of the play. Mo Morris essentially sat on a defender and even under a replay system was obviously not down.
There were enough more egregious errors in that game that Dye shouldn't have been a factor at that point.

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Where's the option for all of the above. We're jinxed kids...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

woundedknees wrote: There were enough more egregious errors in that game that Dye shouldn't have been a factor at that point.
This was my view as I watched that game. Having already been ripped off on Cliff Harris's INT and Newton's fumble, the Dyer thing was just icing on the cake. I think Auburn gets into field goal range regardless.

The most crushing moments for me at the time were the Stanford loss in '01 and Dixon going down. Both times I couldn't even talk to anyone for a day or so. My wife thought somebody died in 2001. :lol:
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

In hindsight it’s either the Stanford loss or the natty loss, HOWEVER, at the time Dixon going down hurt so bad. For years we were on the cusp of being elite but couldn’t get over the hump. Until his senior year Dixon had been a major disappointment. He was a highly touted QB who came to Oregon to “win a national championship”, but for 3 years he was mediocre. Things got so bad after his junior year that he left for the summer to play pro baseball and many of us wondered if he’d even come back.
Then his senior year starts and boom, this guy is a revelation. He’s clearly the best player in college football. No one can stop his arm or his legs. The Statue of Liberty play against Michigan is on constant repeat on ESPN. We’re winning every game. We have a heartbreaker loss against #6 ranked Cal. Desean Jackson plays out of his mind and Colvin fumbles at the 1 yard line at the end of the game, just as he’s about to make the go-ahead score. The ball bounced through the corner of the end zone, making it a touchback - Cal’s ball - they win. But we don’t go down in the polls, we go from 11 to 9! We keep winning and going up in the polls - 7, 5, 4, 3, 2!!!! At this point, Dixon is a shoe-in to win the heisman. We just beat 2 top 10 teams and have no more ranked opponents on our schedule. We can pretty much go into auto-pilot to the BCS. Then Dixon goes down. We lose to Arizona. Bye bye BCS, bye bye Heisman. We play the worst game against UCLA I’ve ever seen in my life. We tried 3 different QBs. None of them worked. Looking at the stats for the game we gained 148 yards, but I don’t remember any of them. In just over a week we went from “we might be the best team in CFB” to “we might be the worst team in CFB”.
Keep in mind we didn’t have the foresight of knowing what was ahead: Chip, LMJ, Mariota, etc. As fans we were riding so high, then absolutely had our nuts kicked in and our souls crushed.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I've been kicked in the nutz... That season was way worse!

Amazing how one can go from, "We smoked it all", by a car load of stars, with no major repercussions, to curb stomping FSU, only to have another season derailed following the FSU blowout with multiple injuries, an untimely suhmoake residue suspension (Funny how that happened) by the NCAA, and a comedy of errors by the remaining Duck receivers.

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:In hindsight it’s either the Stanford loss or the natty loss, HOWEVER, at the time Dixon going down hurt so bad. For years we were on the cusp of being elite but couldn’t get over the hump. Until his senior year Dixon had been a major disappointment. He was a highly touted QB who came to Oregon to “win a national championship”, but for 3 years he was mediocre. Things got so bad after his junior year that he left for the summer to play pro baseball and many of us wondered if he’d even come back.
Then his senior year starts and boom, this guy is a revelation. He’s clearly the best player in college football. No one can stop his arm or his legs. The Statue of Liberty play against Michigan is on constant repeat on ESPN. We’re winning every game. We have a heartbreaker loss against #6 ranked Cal. Desean Jackson plays out of his mind and Colvin fumbles at the 1 yard line at the end of the game, just as he’s about to make the go-ahead score. The ball bounced through the corner of the end zone, making it a touchback - Cal’s ball - they win. But we don’t go down in the polls, we go from 11 to 9! We keep winning and going up in the polls - 7, 5, 4, 3, 2!!!! At this point, Dixon is a shoe-in to win the heisman. We just beat 2 top 10 teams and have no more ranked opponents on our schedule. We can pretty much go into auto-pilot to the BCS. Then Dixon goes down. We lose to Arizona. Bye bye BCS, bye bye Heisman. We play the worst game against UCLA I’ve ever seen in my life. We tried 3 different QBs. None of them worked. Looking at the stats for the game we gained 148 yards, but I don’t remember any of them. In just over a week we went from “we might be the best team in CFB” to “we might be the worst team in CFB”.
Keep in mind we didn’t have the foresight of knowing what was ahead: Chip, LMJ, Mariota, etc. As fans we were riding so high, then absolutely had our nuts kicked in and our souls crushed.
Good summary, captures exactly why I voted for the Dixon injury. That was just brutal. I remember one of my friends crying.