BC QB Anthony Brown grad transfers to Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: BC QB Anthony Brown grad transfers to Oregon

Post by greenyellow »

Well he can't talk about Brown yet since there's still compliance issues so I imagine his thoughts about the QB situation will change somewhat once Brown is officially a Duck.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I'm surprised how much negativity I've seen about this move. If Brown outperforms Shough in camp, then we win. If Shough is better we have an experienced back-up and insurance in case of injury. As others have pointed out, this means we can run the QB and not try to be overly conservative.

It's a win-win. This is going to be a weird season, assuming there is a season, and we need all the help we can get.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ 100% agree

Having a poised and experienced backup who’s not terrible is an incredible asset. Look at 2017 when Herbert went down or 2015 when VA went down.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I'm surprised how much negativity I've seen about this move. If Brown outperforms Shough in camp, then we win. If Shough is better we have an experienced back-up and insurance in case of injury. As others have pointed out, this means we can run the QB and not try to be overly conservative.

It's a win-win. This is going to be a weird season, assuming there is a season, and we need all the help we can get.
That's all true, but I think people are concerned with what it signals about the lack of confidence in the current stable of quarterbacks. If Shough was clearly the man, Brown would not be spending his last bullet to come to Oregon. We just lost the last QB from the Helfrich era, and we're still not sure that Cristobal and company know how to pick and develop effective quarterbacks.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I'm surprised how much negativity I've seen about this move. If Brown outperforms Shough in camp, then we win. If Shough is better we have an experienced back-up and insurance in case of injury. As others have pointed out, this means we can run the QB and not try to be overly conservative.

Exactly, ideal situation IMO. As long as we don't go to a 2 QB system. lol!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

When Belloti employed the 2 QB joke Dixon's junior season, I was livid every time DD seemed to get on a roll. You knew there would be a substitution within 2 series, sometimes after 1.

It was totally mismanaged, and for sure cost us the Holiday Bowl, vs Oklahoma, that season.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

woundedknees wrote:When Belloti employed the 2 QB joke Dixon's junior season, I was livid every time DD seemed to get on a roll. You knew there would be a substitution within 2 series, sometimes after 1.

It was totally mismanaged, and for sure cost us the Holiday Bowl, vs Oklahoma, that season.

The holiday bowl was 2005, which we would have easily won if Kellenhas stayed healthy. 2006 is the year you are thinking off, which ended with the Vegas Bowl embarrassment.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Welcome aboard!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine