BC QB Anthony Brown grad transfers to Oregon

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

BC QB Anthony Brown grad transfers to Oregon

Post by GoDucksTroll »

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 60225?s=21

We had been talking about it on here, and looks like Brown is throwing his hat into our QB competition. It will be interesting to see if he can beat out Shough. He must feel pretty good about his chances.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: BC QB Anthony Brown grad transfers to Oregon

Post by StevensTechU »

This really raises the 'floor' for the 2020 season, IMO. That should go a long way in A) making sure we keep beating the huskies every year and B) maintain momentum as a program so that 2019 can't be viewed as an outlier.

Now the question is whether we can give Brown an OL that will keep him upright and wideouts who can help him move the ball. I suppose there is, still, the question of whether Shough can take the position now that it won't just be handed to him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Probably a good move since they've got no idea if Shough is the answer at QB1 and there was very little experience in the QB room besides Shough.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:This really raises the 'floor' for the 2020 season, IMO. That should go a long way in A) making sure we keep beating the huskies every year and B) maintain momentum as a program so that 2019 can't be viewed as an outlier.

Now the question is whether we can give Brown an OL that will keep him upright and wideouts who can help him move the ball. I suppose there is, still, the question of whether Shough can take the position now that it won't just be handed to him.

I think Tyler wins the job. This move was for competition and depth.
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Post by ICamel »

2:1 TD:Interception ratio isn't too impressive.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

He is way below the existing QB's ceiling and way above their floor. Insurance against all the young 'uns sucking or not being ready which is a real possibility if not a probability. I am betting/hoping that this is a case where a grad transfer QB does not get a wink and a nod first shot at starting but I could be wrong on that.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Helps with depth!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

IMO, from the small sample size we've seen, I believe Tyler will get the nod. If he gets nicked, this young man could potentially be more serviceable than an untried RS player.

I honestly hope we don't need to find out!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

Hopefully he's Darron Thomas. I'm a little nervous because Moorhead hasn't earned my trust in backing the right horse yet, just for simple lack of opportunity. The more competition the merrier – as long as the judges are reliable.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Great news. The reality is there was absolutely no real QB competition before this addition. The competition should make both Shough and Brown better. Also, perhaps more importantly, it will allow Moorhead to run his offense without fear of getting his only QB that he could feel comfortable going into a game with hurt. The handcuffs can be loosened up a bit, whenever football in America actually resumes.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

With all of the uncertainty with how much time players/teams could get to work out, having an experienced QB on the roster either as a starter or a back-up is a great move this coming year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Just listened to JHop's podcast ("Scoopduck in Hi-Fi"), and he is clear that he thinks Brown is coming in as the 2nd string guy and the job remains Shough's to lose. In this Yahoo! Sports article, Brown sounds sincere in saying he wasn't promised a starting position. It actually seems like the Ducks QB2 job may have simply been better than the alternative options. https://sports.yahoo.com/can-grad-trans ... 42800.html

I've been consistent in saying that Anthony Brown is the second coming of DT. If he's QB2, that means Shough is a better QB than Darron was, and I'm plenty alright with that.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

ICamel wrote:2:1 TD:Interception ratio isn't too impressive.
He will have more talent around him than at BC.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »