Merganzer
Senior

Anthony Brown could start at QB

Post by Merganzer »

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Anthony Brown could start at QB

Post by karlhungis »

Someone is just killing time. Anything can happen but the players haven't even practiced for months. This is just blind speculation.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

karlhungis wrote:Someone is just killing time. Anything can happen but the players haven't even practiced for months. This is just blind speculation.
Agree that it is only speculation. Pretty much anything regarding a player, position group, formation, system, at this time is speculation But, from the time the season ended, and through the time that Brown joined the team, Shough has been the presumptive starting QB. If it's Brown it will be surprising.
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Sorry, but where is the speculation? No where in the article does it say Brown is expected to start, in fact the writer clearly states that he'll have a tough time winning the job over Shough.

"Still, it’ll be a tough battle for him to win the starting job over Tyler Shough, last year’s backup to Justin Herbert and a capable dual-threat in his own right."

The "fierce competition" is taken from a quote by Cristobal.

“I love all those young quarterbacks as well and Anthony is a guy that’s going fit in great and bring some fierce competition to that room,” Cristobal said.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

My prediction is Shough starts. Ashford is also a dual threat QB and hi-lites are good. He and Brown will be 2 and 3, not necessarily in that order. That is a good group of dual threat QBs. Okay, I'm seldom right.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

EncinitasDuck wrote: "Still, it’ll be a tough battle for him to win the starting job over Tyler Shough, last year’s backup to Justin Herbert and a capable dual-threat in his own right."
Please don't quote me because I don't honestly know, but I read somewhere recently that Shough was a pro-style QB that hasn't done much running in the past. I'm not saying that he can't, I just read that it's not something that he's used to doing.
John 3:36
PdxTRex
High School Drop Out

Post by PdxTRex »

SuperDuck wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote: "Still, it’ll be a tough battle for him to win the starting job over Tyler Shough, last year’s backup to Justin Herbert and a capable dual-threat in his own right."
Please don't quote me because I don't honestly know, but I read somewhere recently that Shough was a pro-style QB that hasn't done much running in the past. I'm not saying that he can't, I just read that it's not something that he's used to doing.
I think that is correct. He does have good frame on him and looks capable of some wiggle with long strides even if he is not a burner ala Mariota or Dixon. I think he could be a runner more in the mold of Herbert in that he is a tall, strong athlete by QB standards but not near the fastest athlete on the field.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

PdxTRex wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
I think that is correct. He does have good frame on him and looks capable of some wiggle with long strides even if he is not a burner ala Mariota or Dixon. I think he could be a runner more in the mold of Herbert in that he is a tall, strong athlete by QB standards but not near the fastest athlete on the field.[/quote

He won't run as often as Mariota or Dixon but the threat will be there. More than Herbert. Probably more like Kellen Clemens. If I remember right, he was effective when he ran. He definitely wasn't a burner.
PdxTRex
High School Drop Out

Post by PdxTRex »

duck58 wrote:
PdxTRex wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
I think that is correct. He does have good frame on him and looks capable of some wiggle with long strides even if he is not a burner ala Mariota or Dixon. I think he could be a runner more in the mold of Herbert in that he is a tall, strong athlete by QB standards but not near the fastest athlete on the field.[/quote

He won't run as often as Mariota or Dixon but the threat will be there. More than Herbert. Probably more like Kellen Clemens. If I remember right, he was effective when he ran. He definitely wasn't a burner.
I think Herbert was limited by system/coaching more than his physical ability. If we run Herbert a full season like we did in the PAC12/Rose Bowl, I think he has close to 600 yards on the season. That number seems about right for what to expect from Shough next year.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

PdxTRex wrote:
duck58 wrote:
PdxTRex wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

I think Herbert was limited by system/coaching more than his physical ability. If we run Herbert a full season like we did in the PAC12/Rose Bowl, I think he has close to 600 yards on the season. That number seems about right for what to expect from Shough next year.
In plenty of interviews of both Cristobal and Herbert it's been acknowledged that he had a leash on him when it comes to running.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

It's going to be Moorhead's call, he just met Shough, and he wants the best possible QB to get that HC job somewhere next year, so I doubt he'll prioritize his feelings.
mattc94
Four Star Recruit

Re:

Post by mattc94 »

Hoagduck wrote:It's going to be Moorhead's call, he just met Shough, and he wants the best possible QB to get that HC job somewhere next year, so I doubt he'll prioritize his feelings.
He's gunna have to get us to the CFB playoffs for that to happen. Although that is entirely possible with this roster. And I have a feeling McLendon is the guy looking to get his old job title back.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

I don't know why, maybe it's the block at the end of the USC game but I have the feeling Shough is going to be our QB and I think he will be better than many we have had. Unlikely to be the GOAT though.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Quietduck wrote:I don't know why, maybe it's the block at the end of the USC game but I have the feeling Shough is going to be our QB and I think he will be better than many we have had. Unlikely to be the GOAT though.
Same, that reminded me of the competitiveness of Joe Burrow. I don’t expect him to be that good or Mariota good but I think he’ll be a real baller. I think he’ll be possibly like Colt McCoy and better than Herbert in terms of productivity at Oregon.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I like Shough's attitude for sure. He's got a bit of cocky swagger to him. A bit worried about his overall arm strength and decision making, but for what Moorhead asks, he should be a really solid fit.