Anthony Brown could start at QB

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Anthony Brown could start at QB

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:I like Shough's attitude for sure. He's got a bit of cocky swagger to him. A bit worried about his overall arm strength and decision making, but for what Moorhead asks, he should be a really solid fit.
I haven't seen anything you haven't, I'm sure, but I think he's got plenty of arm to make all the throws. Decision-making / play-making, and ability to execute when the pressure is on are going to be my biggest wait-and-see areas for him.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

In the little I have seen of Shough I haven't seen arm issues. They may exist but I haven't seen them. Decision making comes with repetition and training.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

You can watch the 2019 spring game and Shough had a couple of deep throws in that game. He also had good zip on his TD pass to Pittman against USC. Overall, we have seen him throw the ball like 20x in all forms, so not much to go off of but I'm not worried about his arm talent.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I saw some pics the other day of the players who are in Eugene having a workout on the field next to Hayward, since the football facilities are closed. Both Shough and Brown out throwing. Brown with the big brace on the leg.

Pics for those interested: https://twitter.com/scottboldtphoto/sta ... 9217029120
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I saw some pics the other day of the players who are in Eugene having a workout on the field next to Hayward, since the football facilities are closed. Both Shough and Brown out throwing. Brown with the big brace on the leg.

Pics for those interested: https://twitter.com/scottboldtphoto/sta ... 9217029120
Good pics. Thanks.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Looking forward to this competition. Both guys have their careers on the line. Brown, obviously, only has this year to shine. Shough also though: if he doesn't win the starting job this year, he likely never will, with Butterfield, Ashford and Ty Thompson (who I think will be the QB of the future) waiting in the wings to supplant him if he isn't the returning starter next year. Poor Millen seems like he is lost in the shuffle, barring some injuries.
ICamel
Two Star Recruit

Re: Anthony Brown could not play a single down at Oregon

Post by ICamel »

See what I did there?
FlashDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by FlashDuck »

I think this is likely. Brown didn't come here to be a backup, and Shough has time. Probably easier to convince Tyler that he can wait, but Brown has been injured a lot in his career so he may not start all year.
nogerO
Senior

Re: Anthony Brown could not play a single down at Oregon

Post by nogerO »

ICamel wrote:See what I did there?
Ding ding ding! Johnny tell him what he’s won! :roll:
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

What happens if we play in the Spring but schools have Early Enrollees? Would they be eligible to play or would they need to wait until the Fall? Would the NCAA allow schools to go over their 85 for a special Spring Season? Ie Butterfield arrives and actually beats out Shough and Brown. I tend to think the upcoming class, if early enrolled, would still have to wait until the Fall to play.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duck07 wrote:What happens if we play in the Spring but schools have Early Enrollees? Would they be eligible to play or would they need to wait until the Fall? Would the NCAA allow schools to go over their 85 for a special Spring Season? Ie Butterfield arrives and actually beats out Shough and Brown. I tend to think the upcoming class, if early enrolled, would still have to wait until the Fall to play.
I agree, they should wait til the fall, but just practicing with the team during an actual season and being on the sideline (if they were allowed to for home games) would be tremendous experience for them.

It would certainly be messy if the season was in the spring but I much prefer that than no season or a shortened season.
73duck
Three Star Recruit

Post by 73duck »

Quality QB depth is a good thing to have. IIRC Masoli was way down the depth chart in 2008.

OTOH, there was no quality backup when Musgrave, Clemens (well, there was Dixon, but he didn't play well), Dixon, Adams, and Herbert got hurt.

I think that a QB *not* getting hurt is probably less likely than a QB getting hurt. This goes double for a COVID year.
FlashDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by FlashDuck »

You cannot have too many good QBs... the year Ohio State beat us in the title they were on QB #3 by then. Sure it's not the norm but I want the good depth.