Devon Williams

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Devon Williams

Post by Quietduck »

While we drool over the players we may get for this year's class. What do people think about Devon Williams? From what I saw he has the talent to be as good as any we have had or even some we are recruiting. Everyone says we need a speed receiver but could he fill the role this year for the Ducks?

QuietDuck
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Devon Williams

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Ahh, the post title scared me. I thought maybe something happened with Devon Williams.

I’m stoked on him, so is the team. Devon is expected to be one of the top four WRs with JJIII, Redd, and Pittman. Might even start since he’s 6’4” and can be like Juwan last year. Excited to see what he can do.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Ahh, the post title scared me. I thought maybe something happened with Devon Williams.

I’m stoked on him, so is the team. Devon is expected to be one of the top four WRs with JJIII, Redd, and Pittman. Might even start since he’s 6’4” and can be like Juwan last year. Excited to see what he can do.
I'm curious why you're not saying top five and including Bryan Addison in the mix.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Wide Receiver 1
Bryan Addison So.
Devon Williams So.
Lance Wilhoite R-Fr.
JR Waters R-Fr.

Wide Receiver 2
Jaylon Redd Sr.
Mycah Pittman So.
Daewood Davis Jr.

Wide Receiver 3
Johnny Johnson III Sr.
Josh Delgado So.
Isaah Crocker So.

There's room for him to grow. Depth Chart excluding incoming freshmen^

I think he has the talent to start, but might take him a bit.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

wepto wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:Ahh, the post title scared me. I thought maybe something happened with Devon Williams.

I'm curious why you're not saying top five and including Bryan Addison in the mix.
That was just my guess for the top four WRs. I think Williams will be ahead of Addison, but Addison and Delgado will be right there in the rotation. That seems like a safe bet for the rotational group.

It will be interesting to see if one of Waters/Wilhoite/Crocker/Hutson will be able to get reps.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
wepto wrote:

That was just my guess for the top four WRs. I think Williams will be ahead of Addison, but Addison and Delgado will be right there in the rotation. That seems like a safe bet for the rotational group.

It will be interesting to see if one of Waters/Wilhoite/Crocker/Hutson will be able to get reps.
Don't under-estimate JR Waters. The staff LOVES him.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Does anyone recall if during the OSU and Pac-12 champ game if Redd and Pittman were ever in on the same plays? If so which played outside instead of slot (or was it a 4WR formation with left and right slots)? Not that it means a lot for this year as WR coach and OC are new.

I'll be curious to see if there will see any 4 WR formations with no TE in the new offense on long passing downs.

Of the returners Redd, Pittman and JJ seemed to be the most reliable on the team at gaining separation. Thus my curiosity regarding 4WR or Pittman perhaps also playing outside.

Regarding the title subject, does anyone know whether Williams is as fast or faster than Addison who at times seemed to flash some really good top end speed?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Compared to Addison, the reputation/uncertain evidence is that Williams has better speed but Addison has better hands. It was rumored that part of why Williams didn't see the field much at USC was that he couldn't hold onto the ball. Addison ran a 4.76 40 at the Nike combine, which Williams didn't record a time. Williams did run a 4.3 shuttle which isn't shabby for a guy his height, compared to 4.4 for Addison.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Pittman was out for Civil War and P12 Title game with broken arm. UW and Colorado would have seen the most overlap in those two guys both being active and healthy. There were a few plays where they were both in at the same time.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Compared to Addison, the reputation/uncertain evidence is that Williams has better speed but Addison has better hands. It was rumored that part of why Williams didn't see the field much at USC was that he couldn't hold onto the ball. Addison ran a 4.76 40 at the Nike combine, which Williams didn't record a time. Williams did run a 4.3 shuttle which isn't shabby for a guy his height, compared to 4.4 for Addison.
Thanks. Sounds like athleticism won't be a primary factor on which one ends up on top.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:^ Pittman was out for Civil War and P12 Title game with broken arm. UW and Colorado would have seen the most overlap in those two guys both being active and healthy. There were a few plays where they were both in at the same time.
Thanks, forgot about Pittman's second injury for a moment.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:Compared to Addison, the reputation/uncertain evidence is that Williams has better speed but Addison has better hands. It was rumored that part of why Williams didn't see the field much at USC was that he couldn't hold onto the ball. Addison ran a 4.76 40 at the Nike combine, which Williams didn't record a time. Williams did run a 4.3 shuttle which isn't shabby for a guy his height, compared to 4.4 for Addison.
That’s interesting that Devon Williams has a rep for bad hands. At The Opening, granted only t-shirts and shorts, he really impressed with his hands. I’m still mad at Addison for dropping that TD against Auburn.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Haven't hear about bad hands for Williams. I've only hear he was in the dog house, but those that watched SC practice say he was dominate. He has also been pretty dominate since getting to UO. As for Addison, I don't have much expectation for him anymore. I hope he figures it out, but so far he hasn't shown much. Which is weird given the state of our WR since he showed up.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

I sometimes wonder if there are some maturity issues with Addison. He was suspended for a few games last year. Don't know what for and not that it matters but that does speak to a maturity issue in my opinion.
FlashDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by FlashDuck »

It will be great if Williams performs, b/c we get a good receiver and run it in SC's face.