Three Star Recruit

Re: Pac-12 Player Strike

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Meanwhile UCONN cancels season!
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Yeah....college football is not happening this year.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I wonder if there will be any considerations of a full season starting in the Spring since it appears a vaccine will be available in early 2021.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

I'm pretty concerned about the non football/hoops scholarship sports. If you cut the margins on football, which pays for everything, how can you justify keeping teams? Hoops would probably be safe because it brings enough revenue to justify, at least at most schools. Because of title 9, there would be some women's sports, but a load of others could be cut.

An interesting thought is if college baseball starts getting cut, would MLB start to bring back all of the lower level minor league teams they're trashing?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

ncduck wrote:I'm pretty concerned about the non football/hoops scholarship sports. If you cut the margins on football, which pays for everything, how can you justify keeping teams? Hoops would probably be safe because it brings enough revenue to justify, at least at most schools. Because of title 9, there would be some women's sports, but a load of others could be cut.

An interesting thought is if college baseball starts getting cut, would MLB start to bring back all of the lower level minor league teams they're trashing?
The only possibility is reallocating the money that's already in football and basketball. And what I mean by that is taking coaches' salaries and giving a slice to the players. Otherwise, as you say, it comes from other sports or the academic institution.

Personally, I'd like to see a cap on coaches' salaries regardless of whether it gets allocated to football players or not. I'd like to see salary caps for each team mandated by the NCAA, and any excess you make goes toward the school instead of going toward coaches.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Another possible solution I've seen thrown out is

- A general fund/escrow account that maintains X amount per player that the player(s) would be able to liquidate upon graduation from the institution. That way they get "paid" but it also doesn't affect their eligibility. You could potentially use: jersey sales, merchandising and concessions to fund that account.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
ncduck wrote:I'm pretty concerned about the non football/hoops scholarship sports. If you cut the margins on football, which pays for everything, how can you justify keeping teams? Hoops would probably be safe because it brings enough revenue to justify, at least at most schools. Because of title 9, there would be some women's sports, but a load of others could be cut.

The only possibility is reallocating the money that's already in football and basketball. And what I mean by that is taking coaches' salaries and giving a slice to the players. Otherwise, as you say, it comes from other sports or the academic institution.

Personally, I'd like to see a cap on coaches' salaries regardless of whether it gets allocated to football players or not. I'd like to see salary caps for each team mandated by the NCAA, and any excess you make goes toward the school instead of going toward coaches.

This is a good start for sure. Coaches $ is out of control.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Basketball doesn't make any money. Fwiw, 90% of basketball revenue comes from the ncaa tournament.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

StevensTechU wrote:One of the frustrating things about progressive movements, as a progressive, is when there are legitimate concerns that get lost because people are focused on the completely ridiculous. That's what is happening here. Pandemic concerns, wanting more time to be real students when they're told they're student-athletes, and health insurance for sports injuries past their playing days are all very worthwhile. As is monetizing their own name and likeness, which has already been legislated. But then throw in that they want a 50% revenue share by the start of the season, want academic endowment money to pay for sports, etc. and then suddenly that's what the conversation is about. If I had a nickel for every worthwhile movement that got lost due to ridiculous demands, I'd have a shitload of nickels.
I'm not sure how 'progressive' it is to allow a player to profit off of the buzz he or she has generated for themselves. It's just good capitalism, coupled with some income-related deregulation. The health insurance thing is only going to happen if there is money, so we'll see if they find any. There are always lots of people in public universities with their hands out wanting more, but the money has to come from somewhere, and in case everyone hasn't noticed, projected revenues are sharply declining. I'm not sure what it costs to keep all the athletes on scholarship with no corresponding revenue coming from football, but if the players do end up holding out, it seems like that cost could become a serious issue. Imagine raising tuition on everyone to pay for things like keeping on a football player who doesn't play football. Think everyone will go for it? P.S. I think it likely that such costs would be buried under larger categories, but raising tuition during a pandemic would certainly invite some questions.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Add the Mountain West, although theirs is more similar to the Big Ten's than PAC's

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the involvement from the good Pac-12 south teams is minimal (USC, Utah, Colorado). Would really suck to have USC gain some momentum out of this because our star players are being side tracked by such juvenile endeavors that place the season in danger.