Pac-12 Player Strike

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Everythingsducky
Senior

Re: Pac-12 Player Strike

Post by Everythingsducky »

OregonVato wrote:This will get buried because I won't respond afterward, but many of us left this board when it became a far-right echo chamber. A bunch of washed-up old white dudes trying to tell a bunch of supremely-talented Black men how to handle their business is a complete joke.

A friendly reminder:
  • 1. Women don't need you to tell them how and when to reproduce
    2. Black folx don't need you to tell them how to protest
    3. Athletes don't need you to tell them how to protect their futures

These Men and Women of Oregon do not exist for your entertainment.
Congrats on the most asinine post in years. First, it wouldn’t matter if the players involved are ‘supremely-talented Black’ OR white men. Stop the race baiting, it is about the premise and demands. 2nd, the athletes at UO absolutely exist for my entertainment. I wouldn’t pay $2500/year for tickets, and drive round trip for 4 hours for non-entertainment. And, to additionally counter that statement, if there was zero entertainment factor, why then would the players be asking for a share of revenue? They wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. If it isn’t entertainment, there would be no charge to watch. I’m waiting for non-revenue athletes to take their own stand, and push back. And I am for compensation for likeness and other situations.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

2nd, the athletes at UO absolutely exist for my entertainment.
I'd argue they exist for Phil Knight's entertainment.

I mean, who are we, really?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Unfortunately for the players, I could see this playing out similar to the Ed OBannon case. Everyone wanted a piece of the pie when they saw what EA sports was making on the game each year. Then, once everyone shared, each player got like a couple hundred dollars and meanwhile they totally crashed the market on NCAA video games both for fans but also for future athletes to benefit from.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Hey man, OregonVato is just super woke. It takes a "special" kind of awareness to pull back the curtain on this whole entertainment industry myth.

huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

Kind of sped read through this chat but I thought I heard the pac 12 statement was all athletes. “Maybe just football players not sure” that were uncomfortable playing this year could sit out and their scholarships and good standing in the university’s would stay in place.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

One of the frustrating things about progressive movements, as a progressive, is when there are legitimate concerns that get lost because people are focused on the completely ridiculous. That's what is happening here. Pandemic concerns, wanting more time to be real students when they're told they're student-athletes, and health insurance for sports injuries past their playing days are all very worthwhile. As is monetizing their own name and likeness, which has already been legislated. But then throw in that they want a 50% revenue share by the start of the season, want academic endowment money to pay for sports, etc. and then suddenly that's what the conversation is about. If I had a nickel for every worthwhile movement that got lost due to ridiculous demands, I'd have a shitload of nickels.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

StevensTechU wrote:One of the frustrating things about progressive movements, as a progressive, is when there are legitimate concerns that get lost because people are focused on the completely ridiculous. That's what is happening here. Pandemic concerns, wanting more time to be real students when they're told they're student-athletes, and health insurance for sports injuries past their playing days are all very worthwhile. As is monetizing their own name and likeness, which has already been legislated. But then throw in that they want a 50% revenue share by the start of the season, want academic endowment money to pay for sports, etc. and then suddenly that's what the conversation is about. If I had a nickel for every worthwhile movement that got lost due to ridiculous demands, I'd have a shitload of nickels.
Sadly that was the case with the initial stimulus package. If there was ever a microcosm for injecting politics when it's unnecessary, it was then. Both parties should have just agreed to a simple stimulus package without frivolous demands thrown in by both sides. Instead, it took an extra week or two and millions/billions sent to unnecessary parties because our politicians leveraged a pandemic to push their own social agendas.
SteelTown43
Two Star Recruit

Post by SteelTown43 »

And is happening with the current stimulus package negotiations, kinda from both sides frankly
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Well at least it took 6 pages to inject politics into this thread :lol:
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Well at least it took 6 pages to inject politics into this thread :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

EncinitasDuck wrote:Well at least it took 6 pages to inject politics into this thread :lol:
Which is amazing because the strike has politics involved. So props to us? :lol:

On a side note, sports has complete inherited identity politics. Everything is being politicized, so it's very hard to separate the two, when the sports world is doing everything in their power to combine the two. Our sports world has forever changed, whether you like it or not.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Which is amazing because the strike has politics involved. So props to us? :lol:

On a side note, sports has complete inherited identity politics. Everything is being politicized, so it's very hard to separate the two, when the sports world is doing everything in their power to combine the two. Our sports world has forever changed, whether you like it or not.
Negro leagues and the color barrier... Tommie Smith/Civil rights... Muhammad Ali/Vietnam...

Sports and [identity] politics are nothing new. Willingness for the general public to listen is probably new.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

Negro leagues and the color barrier... Tommie Smith/Civil rights... Muhammad Ali/Vietnam...

Sports and [identity] politics are nothing new. Willingness for the general public to listen is probably new.
First example is just flat out racist and inhumane. Not letting people participate in a sport due to an organ is evil. Human rights violation. I see no human rights that are being violated for Mr. Holland.

Other two examples are both individual choices. I'm just saying for a professional league and/or an entire group of players engraving politics into the fabric of the league is new territory.

For example, if someone were to come out and where an "all lives matter" shirt, there is a good chance they get fired. Sacramento Kings commentator got fired for saying this. To me that's ridiculous. You should be able to voice your personal opinion and stand by it, not get ostracized or fired for it. However, I don't think the NBA should get behind a political group that endorses the destruction of the black male and the nuclear family.

It's no longer about human rights or equality, it's about special rights and anti-racism. And anti-racism has become the next big racist movement.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:

First example is just flat out racist and inhumane. Not letting people participate in a sport due to an organ is evil. Human rights violation. I see no human rights that are being violated for Mr. Holland.

Other two examples are both individual choices. I'm just saying for a professional league and/or an entire group of players engraving politics into the fabric of the league is new territory.

For example, if someone were to come out and where an "all lives matter" shirt, there is a good chance they get fired. Sacramento Kings commentator got fired for saying this. To me that's ridiculous. You should be able to voice your personal opinion and stand by it, not get ostracized or fired for it. However, I don't think the NBA should get behind a political group that endorses the destruction of the black male and the nuclear family.

It's no longer about human rights or equality, it's about special rights and anti-racism. And anti-racism has become the next big racist movement.
Amen
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!