Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Pac-12 Player Strike

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
EncinitasDuck wrote:Well at least it took 6 pages to inject politics into this thread :lol:
Which is amazing because the strike has politics involved. So props to us? :lol:

On a side note, sports has complete inherited identity politics. Everything is being politicized, so it's very hard to separate the two, when the sports world is doing everything in their power to combine the two. Our sports world has forever changed, whether you like it or not.
Negro leagues and the color barrier... Tommie Smith/Civil rights... Muhammad Ali/Vietnam...

Sports and [identity] politics are nothing new. Willingness for the general public to listen is probably new.
First example is just flat out racist and inhumane. Not letting people participate in a sport due to an organ is evil. Human rights violation. I see no human rights that are being violated for Mr. Holland.

Other two examples are both individual choices. I'm just saying for a professional league and/or an entire group of players engraving politics into the fabric of the league is new territory.

For example, if someone were to come out and where an "all lives matter" shirt, there is a good chance they get fired. Sacramento Kings commentator got fired for saying this. To me that's ridiculous. You should be able to voice your personal opinion and stand by it, not get ostracized or fired for it. However, I don't think the NBA should get behind a political group that endorses the destruction of the black male and the nuclear family.

It's no longer about human rights or equality, it's about special rights and anti-racism. And anti-racism has become the next big racist movement.
What I just read is "You're right, sport and social progress and/or politics have been tied together for at least a century which was my original point, so now I'm going to pivot into saying something else." Right on. Go you.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

*On subject post*

For those who haven't seen, Larry Scott responded to the WeAreUnited group in a letter that you can see here: https://images.saymedia-content.com/.im ... onse-1.pdf . It's basically a point-by-point response of how they're already doing almost everything they're asking for, and that they'll work within the system to respond to their remaining concerns as soon as they can.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Jon Wilner has a good article where he lines the demands of the student-athletes with Larry Scott's response and the stuff the conference is already doing. For the most part, the conference is already addressing the vast majority of the demands and the ones they aren't are basically issues better left to the NCAA and certain individual institutions.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

StevensTechU wrote:*On subject post*

For those who haven't seen, Larry Scott responded to the WeAreUnited group in a letter that you can see here: https://images.saymedia-content.com/.im ... onse-1.pdf . It's basically a point-by-point response of how they're already doing almost everything they're asking for, and that they'll work within the system to respond to their remaining concerns as soon as they can.
In other words, other than the compensation package requested, virtually the entire list is already being addressed by the PAC 12 in some form.

Read the fine print, kids. You might be surprised what's hidden in there.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If the $23k a year after everything that Thomas Graham posted is true. Give it to them. That isn't much more than what they already get, but it probably allows kids to visit their families more often, which is important.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:If the $23k a year after everything that Thomas Graham posted is true. Give it to them. That isn't much more than what they already get, but it probably allows kids to visit their families more often, which is important.
23k a year, with the contracts (scholarships) being able to be terminated for any reason at any time? Seems like the current system may be a better choice for the non star players.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

karlhungis wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:If the $23k a year after everything that Thomas Graham posted is true. Give it to them. That isn't much more than what they already get, but it probably allows kids to visit their families more often, which is important.
23k a year, with the contracts (scholarships) being able to be terminated for any reason at any time? Seems like the current system may be a better choice for the non star players.
Agreed.
- Scholarship
- Monthly stipend
- Food
- Clothing/gear

Realistically, only a handful of MBB and football players are worth more to the school than the school is worth to them. Just give them NIL and if the players (collectively) were smart, they should accept that.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think the kids would rather protest than play. I think we have to do everything we can to eliminate the threats of the virus but we still have to try to live and implement things to make the players feel risks are minimal and the universities are doing all they can to protect the players. I said a few pages ago that I doubt will be a season. The Pac 12 may be doing all they can but these kids will still say it is not enough. Pretty sad.
huckthefuskies
Three Star Recruit

Post by huckthefuskies »

My guess is vocal minority that do not want to play. I understand their point but as long as it is true that their scholarships stand during the pandemic and schools are going to keep them in good standings then let the few sit out.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think the kids would rather protest than play. I think we have to do everything we can to eliminate the threats of the virus but we still have to try to live and implement things to make the players feel risks are minimal and the universities are doing all they can to protect the players. I said a few pages ago that I doubt will be a season. The Pac 12 may be doing all they can but these kids will still say it is not enough. Pretty sad.

My thought has been this. Why not get some big donors together, and have them all help build a environment like what the NBA has done? Keep everyone safe, get them tutors who stay inside the bubble etc. Choose the top 16 college teams, and let them battle it out. After 10 games put the top 4 teams into the final 4. Call it the Nike bubble.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Big 10 players have become united on Covid related matters and I have to say this reads better than the PAC players statement.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... all-season

Instead of just saying player approved health and safety standards, the BIG 10 statement lists out what they want to happen
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

FlDuckFan wrote:Big 10 players have become united on Covid related matters and I have to say this reads better than the PAC players statement.

Instead of just saying player approved health and safety standards, the BIG 10 statement lists out what they want to happen
That right there is a well-written list of demands that gets to the heart of the matter for the vast majority of players wanting to play this season.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12

Post by FlDuckFan »

greenyellow wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:Big 10 players have become united on Covid related matters and I have to say this reads better than the PAC players statement.

That right there is a well-written list of demands that gets to the heart of the matter for the vast majority of players wanting to play this season.
Agreed, based on the PAC12 players statement I'm very impressed with what the BIG10 players have put out.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Totally reasonable, I personally 100% agree with those demands.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12

Post by FlDuckFan »

OregonFan4Life wrote:

Totally reasonable, I personally 100% agree with those demands.
Yeah, the only catching point I see is the reserving eligibility as I think that's an NCAA issue. I wish these kids good luck and hope they get what they're asking for.