Most Likely to Transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Most Likely to Transfer

Post by greenyellow »

I think Oregon is now under the scholarship limit so can potentially add more recruits without needing anyone else to transfer.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The 2019 class, which was supposedly ranked 7th in the country according to 247 is looking worse and worse upon review. After K.T. and Wright, there was a whole lot of hit and miss.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

How do people think about Townsend? (And waters?)
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Waters was getting some strong reviews before he got hurt. He did get passed up by Hutson, and moving him to DB in practice wasn't exactly a vote of confidence. Still, can't help feeling both of these latest guys could have contributed something if they had stayed. Neither would have been my first pick to transfer.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:I think Oregon is now under the scholarship limit so can potentially add more recruits without needing anyone else to transfer.
The issue is the limit of adding only 25 players per year, rather than the 85 total maximum scholarships.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Phalanx wrote:The 2019 class, which was supposedly ranked 7th in the country according to 247 is looking worse and worse upon review. After K.T. and Wright, there was a whole lot of hit and miss.
I'll make the same argument here that I did in the other thread about potential transfers. I think judging a class when kids have only been in the program for 2 years is way premature. People are expecting kids to come in and beat out guys that have been in the program for 3-4 years. Those are the exceptions, not the rule. Yes, there's been a fair amount of attrition from this class, but some of it is just a depth issue or kids also being too impatient these days. I've seen it on here many times where if a guy hasn't contributed by the end of his freshman season, people are expecting him to transfer, because he'll never see the field.

Guys progress at different paces, and expecting every kid to be contributing by the end of year 2 is unrealistic, especially now when 1 of those offseasons was non-existent. KT and Wright were also 2 of the highest rated guys in that class, so it should be expected that they'd make contributions earlier. There's still plenty to like about guys like Funa, Williams, James, Dorlus, Pittman, Dollars, etc. Every class has its hits and misses, including number 1 ranked classes. I still think there's plenty of potential for that class overall to live up the #7 ranking. If you're strictly talking about the number of kids transferring, then I apologize for the rant above, but if you're talking from a quality of player standpoint, I think there's still plenty of potential for it to be a quality class overall. Interesting note is that all of the kids, outside of Eaford, that have transferred from that class were 3 stars (I'm using Rivals rankings). So, it's not like they are missing on the high-end recruits. It's the guys that you would expect would have a harder time seeing the field. The class ranking wouldn't be affected much if you didn't count the departures, since it only counts the top 20 guys in the class, and just about all of these guys were at the bottom of the class in ranking. Hopping off the ol' soapbox now.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Feel free to continue evaluating them after more games - you are right that their careers aren't over yet. The first two years do matter though, and so far the class as a whole has an inordinate amount of transfers, along with some players who haven't lived up to their billing so far. I'm not declaring the whole class a dud, just pointing out that they don't look anything like a #7-rated class so far, which should be obvious to anyone.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Re 2019 class. You have 3 starters on D from that class. And some solid DL play from guys who have been backups, but should starts next year. Dollars should become a solid player for us next year. Im usually happy if a class is 1/3 starters at some point, 1/3 contributors and 1/3 never pan out. That class will produce 2 first rounders next year.

IMO Funa is going to make a big jump with the off season, and with the new DC.