#21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Re: #21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Post by OrTDuck »

Wiki shows Tyler's rush stats at Chandler (Ari.) As:

Jr: 12 games 57 carries 102 yards 2 TDs
Sr. 12 games 46 carries 101 yards 1 TD

MaxPreps confirms 203 yards and adds 7 fumbles lost.

It also seems unlikely 2 years under Arroyo a lot of development was spent on QB rushing.

It seemed like a grad QB was a priority in the off season and the two names most mentioned were:

Jamie Newman (WF): 18 games (So/Jr): 244 carries 821 yards 10 rush TDs. MaxPreps shows only 10 high school starts at QB (3 star #649 nationally) with 99 carries 378 yards (9 rush TDs 2 fumbles lost).

Anthony Brown (BC): 28 games 129 attempts 423 yards 4 TDs. Sr. year in HS: 604 yards rushing 9 TDs

It's been discussed, but it's suggested Moorhead likes a QB with some rushing chops and TS obviously doesn't show any experience in that regard (and though he shows some good speed rushing doesn't seem to be part of the skill set which made him a top QB prospect).

It may be a case of some "fitting a square peg in a round hole" and it may not get "day and night better". Probably a kid who needs to run a couple times a game to try to keep the "D" honest - and that is mostly it.

Otherwise not depend on a legit QB rushing threat to make the scheme go. Jeremiah Masoli as a guy who could make the throws (3,592 yards passing and 30 TDs at SFCC prior to Oregon) and force the "D" to respect the run. That appears to be more the "fit" (and TS and JM appear to bring different QB skill sets).
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I know when I watch film of these guys in HS I think, that's a Pistol-QB right there!

Yet curiously enough when I watch this one, even though I only saw what looked like 1 RPO in the HL, a lot of those intermediate level throws are one of the areas missing in this offense.

Lastly, this guy is on the roster and while I had to find his SO yr of HS tape, he actually ran the zone-read in HS. Go figure. (Plus he can punt and has a funny intro)

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I think Shough can run good enough for this offense.

He has 256 rushing yards on 4.9 yards per carry through five games.

Anthony Brown had 423 yards on 3.3 yards per carry in 28 games at BC.

Half of that was his freshman year, and since then he’s had surgeries on both knees and wears a brace at practice. Oregon wanted Brown or Newman for their arms and experience.

Moorhead’s QB for his two years at Penn State in 2016 and 2017, Trace McSorley had 4.50 NFL combine speed. Shough has been a much better runner. McSorley has 365 yards on 2.5 per carry in 2016 and 491 yards on 3.4 yards per carry in 2017.

I’m no expert on Moorhead’s offense, but basically you need a QB who can be a run threat while being a passer. You don’t have to be Mariota or Vick, but just enough of a threat to get 40 yards per game to keep the defense honest on RPOs to make them play the handoff, keeper, and pass.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I guess I started throwing out the stats so that's my bad... and we can all go back and forth of course. I'm not that familiar with Mississippi State 2018-2019; but, their QB rushing stats show:

2017: (Fitzgerald, Mayden) 228 carries for 1,153 yards
2018: (Schrader, Stephens) 196 carries for 968 yards

Mayden and Schrader I believe were Moorehead recruits, Mayden was #16 dual QB and ran for 1,418 yards (jr/sr) and Schrader #7 dual QB with 2,205 career high school rushing yards.

Shough may have 256 rush yards this year in 5 games; but, the last time he could have had these results would be JV high school football - and I didn't see those stats anywhere - it may be some time before high school?

I guess the point being no one really seems to be doubting TS's feet but running pretty fast generally doesn't make a QB a top RO/RPO QB prospect. The amount of top high school QB recruits each year that are too darn slow to run for ANYTHING in a well crafted RO/RPO offense is probably pretty small.

I'm open to the argument but I don't see that as a slam. Sure the guy can get yards - the thing is supposed to get yards (it's not like TS is a 38 year old Ben Rothenberg or a 39 year old Philip Rivers back there). After all of this I'd tend to AGREE Shough likely can run well enough IF the results throwing the ball/decision making are dialled in.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I would argue against he premise of this ongoing conversation. It's not running ability, it's when to run. It's his reading ability/decision making thats been suspect.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Shough is going to improve or be replaced by Ty Thompson. That simple. Thompson is that good.

I still don't get the hate for the pistol offense. (except on 4th and inches)
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:I would argue against he premise of this ongoing conversation. It's not running ability, it's when to run. It's his reading ability/decision making thats been suspect.
Absolutely.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

GrantDuck wrote:Shough is going to improve or be replaced by Ty Thompson. That simple. Thompson is that good.

I still don't get the hate for the pistol offense. (except on 4th and inches)
Agreed. The pistol is just a formation anyways.

We do need a QB sneak play for sure.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

JBB wrote:It’s safe to say NDSU would have rolled. The GAM had that game pegged. Anyone that would have followed the advice from the GAM results would have made a bundle betting against the way over hyped Ducks and completely underestimated 2020 NDSU BISON.

its tough to say anything positive about the NDSU program right now. The bison team that was scheduled to play here has disbanded with a number of transfers to FBS programs and the NFL.

The blm player protests at the one bison game this year has angered fans. Large amounts of support has been pulled. The AD Larson has been exposed as a back east liberal and is no longer welcome. NDSU assets and donations should have never been used promoting the murder of police, rioting, looting rapes and assaults. The age of The NDSU football men dominating the game is over. The spell has been broken. Like most universities there are very few men there now.

Oh well, maybe Ducks vs bison as the also rans they are morphing into.
How did that SIU game go?