#21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

#21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Post by greenyellow »

3-1 Oregon vs 0-3 California
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: #21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Easy win, right?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Easy win, right?
Cal's OL should make our DL look good. However, if they are net neutral, I don't like how Garbers will be able to make time to find open receivers.

Should be an easy win, but with the lack of skill disparity between the teams, you never know. Cal could pick Shough off three times and we have a ballgame.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

For the last couple of years I’ve been pretty sure that Justin Wilcox would eventually be Oregon’s coach. I figured Mario would leave eventually, either voluntary or not, depending on his success. Now I’m not as sure it would be Wilcox.

Wilcox has assembled himself an Oregon super staff with Bill Musgrave as his new OC and Peter Sirmon prompted to full DC. Sirmon’s son is a sophomore LB at Washington, has been good this year, with 19 tackles in three games.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:For the last couple of years I’ve been pretty sure that Justin Wilcox would eventually be Oregon’s coach. I figured Mario would leave eventually, either voluntary or not, depending on his success. Now I’m not as sure it would be Wilcox.

Wilcox has assembled himself an Oregon super staff with Bill Musgrave as his new OC and Peter Sirmon prompted to full DC. Sirmon’s son is a sophomore LB at Washington, has been good this year, with 19 tackles in three games.

I wouldn't call that a Oregon super staff. Musgrave is a below average OC, and Simon seems more like Helfrich to Wilcox Kelly on D. Maybe Musgrave just hasn't had the right QB, but outside of 1 year, his O in the NFL weren't anything to write home about. I'd much rather hire a HC who knows how to hire a legit OC, rather than what Wilcox has shown at Cal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

greenyellow wrote:

Ha Ha... "Beaks Down"?

As my Aussie friend would say, Da Ducks need to "Keep their Pecker up"!

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9JnH ... q_rxnbo4k-
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

buckmarkduck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:For the last couple of years I’ve been pretty sure that Justin Wilcox would eventually be Oregon’s coach. I figured Mario would leave eventually, either voluntary or not, depending on his success. Now I’m not as sure it would be Wilcox.

I wouldn't call that a Oregon super staff. Musgrave is a below average OC, and Simon seems more like Helfrich to Wilcox Kelly on D. Maybe Musgrave just hasn't had the right QB, but outside of 1 year, his O in the NFL weren't anything to write home about. I'd much rather hire a HC who knows how to hire a legit OC, rather than what Wilcox has shown at Cal.
I should add that I meant Oregon super staff as far as connections to Oregon, not coordinator skill. Musgrave hasn’t exactly been a genius offensive mind, and offensive coaches who are primarily NFL guys seem to do bad in college. Sirmon I don’t know about, he had one year as DC at Miss St and one year at Louisville and wasn’t too popular with either fan base. I imagine Wilcox has a lot of input on the defense.

One NFL guy with Oregon ties I was hoping we could see, in 2016 when we needed a DC and he was unemployed was Mike Nolan. He’s now DC for the Cowboys last place defense, he’s been the DC for 25% of NFL teams, and hasn’t coached in college since the 80s. But he’s had some fantastic NFL defenses and is a LB whisperer. No idea if he’d ever be interested, or if he could recruit. He has an eye for talent. When he was coaching the 49ers he made all their draft picks for three years as the GM, and it’s one of the greatest three year draft stretches ever. He drafted two surefire Hall-of-Famers, and one maybe HOF, plus more Pro-Bowlers and 5+ year starters in those three years than the 49ers have drafted in the 13 years since.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

As someone who hasn't boarded the Shough Hype Train, this will be a good game for him to bounce back and show his progress as Wilcox is going to try and confuse him.

Weather looks like it will be fine.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
I should add that I meant Oregon super staff as far as connections to Oregon, not coordinator skill. Musgrave hasn’t exactly been a genius offensive mind, and offensive coaches who are primarily NFL guys seem to do bad in college. Sirmon I don’t know about, he had one year as DC at Miss St and one year at Louisville and wasn’t too popular with either fan base. I imagine Wilcox has a lot of input on the defense.

One NFL guy with Oregon ties I was hoping we could see, in 2016 when we needed a DC and he was unemployed was Mike Nolan. He’s now DC for the Cowboys last place defense, he’s been the DC for 25% of NFL teams, and hasn’t coached in college since the 80s. But he’s had some fantastic NFL defenses and is a LB whisperer. No idea if he’d ever be interested, or if he could recruit. He has an eye for talent. When he was coaching the 49ers he made all their draft picks for three years as the GM, and it’s one of the greatest three year draft stretches ever. He drafted two surefire Hall-of-Famers, and one maybe HOF, plus more Pro-Bowlers and 5+ year starters in those three years than the 49ers have drafted in the 13 years since.
My understanding of Nolan and his system is that like Allioti, its too complex for a college players weekly time commitment and knowledge and by the time they grasp it all, they've graduated. This can also be true on the offensive side because things that are more readily apparent to a coach like Musgrave aren't easily inferred by a younger player who has to learn/experience those things (I can tell you the 1st time I was ever crack-backed because it never happened again, lol)