#21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Re: #21 Oregon @ California (Dec. 5 Sat 4 PM ESPN)

Post by duck023 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
duck023 wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
duck023 wrote:I have never rooted for a team this bad. I feel like a Cleveland Browns fan. I'm just curious what everyone will be doing to cope with these next couple of seasons. Oregon was on top for a long time and now Oregon will be on bottom for a while. How do I prepare for that? Its bad for my mentality to watch a team that I care about lose every week to horrible teams.
Bruh you don't sound like a Duck fan to me so this should be pretty easy - just go root for the front-runner each year.
I wished I wasn't a Duck fan because then I wouldn't be so pissed. If I was a frontrunner I would have been rooting for Alabama back in 2008 and I wouldn't be here complaining about how bad the Ducks are. However seriously I don't expect you guy's to torture yourselves just to say you are true duck fans I do think people should have a second favorite team in reserve just for this situation.
I know I’m the last person to be saying this but you sound way too emotionally invested in a bunch of college kids playing football.

I love duck football and get upset when they play like crap or the refs screw the ducks over, but at no point has Oregon football actually impacted my life. Win or lose I’m still the same person. Oregon football has 0 impact on my religion, family, and work, given that fact how could it affect my life? Patriot fans are happier than Cleveland browns fans that is just a fact also Alabama fans are happier then us
I disagree there is no way you can root for a team that loses all the time and not have it effect you. I do think Oregon football has made me more depressed and I'm just talking about the choke jobs from the good teams not this season of losing to every bad team from the Pac 12. I think its weird some people are saying I'm a band wagon fan and some say I'm too invested. I feel I have to root for other teams to not be too invested in Oregon.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I will always be a duck fan. I will not watch them though next week. In years past this Oregon team has at least played with fire and emotion and desire. There is none of that in this team. This team plays with 0 physicality, they play with 0 heart, 0 fire, and will win a grand total of 0 games the rest of the season. No sense in watching them. Double digit favorites the last 2 weeks and both games they lost. I have faith in the coaches. I have 0 faith in the players though.
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I will always be a duck fan. I will not watch them though next week. In years past this Oregon team has at least played with fire and emotion and desire. There is none of that in this team. This team plays with 0 physicality, they play with 0 heart, 0 fire, and will win a grand total of 0 games the rest of the season. No sense in watching them. Double digit favorites the last 2 weeks and both games they lost. I have faith in the coaches. I have 0 faith in the players though.
I don't blame you. I don't think anyone is a bad fan for wanting to skip a few pointless games. I don't think Cristobal is going to turn this around anytime soon but I don't want him fired right away either so the best thing I can do for the Ducks is to forget they are playing for a while.
JBB
Two Star Recruit

Post by JBB »

It’s safe to say NDSU would have rolled. The GAM had that game pegged. Anyone that would have followed the advice from the GAM results would have made a bundle betting against the way over hyped Ducks and completely underestimated 2020 NDSU BISON.

its tough to say anything positive about the NDSU program right now. The bison team that was scheduled to play here has disbanded with a number of transfers to FBS programs and the NFL.

The blm player protests at the one bison game this year has angered fans. Large amounts of support has been pulled. The AD Larson has been exposed as a back east liberal and is no longer welcome. NDSU assets and donations should have never been used promoting the murder of police, rioting, looting rapes and assaults. The age of The NDSU football men dominating the game is over. The spell has been broken. Like most universities there are very few men there now.

Oh well, maybe Ducks vs bison as the also rans they are morphing into.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

JBB wrote:It’s safe to say NDSU would have rolled. The GAM had that game pegged. Anyone that would have followed the advice from the GAM results would have made a bundle betting against the way over hyped Ducks and completely underestimated 2020 NDSU BISON.

its tough to say anything positive about the NDSU program right now. The bison team that was scheduled to play here has disbanded with a number of transfers to FBS programs and the NFL.

The blm player protests at the one bison game this year has angered fans. Large amounts of support has been pulled. The AD Larson has been exposed as a back east liberal and is no longer welcome. NDSU assets and donations should have never been used promoting the murder of police, rioting, looting rapes and assaults. The age of The NDSU football men dominating the game is over. The spell has been broken. Like most universities there are very few men there now.

Please leave.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Wow, didn't see that one coming! I probably should have, though. Shough is clearly not the long-term answer at QB. He reminds me of Dakota Prukopp -- good enough to win some games, but not good enough to be counted on to make plays when it counts. Shough has some nice talent (especially with his legs) but man, every game he just throws two or three balls to the other team's defense, and that alone is enough to determine whether we win or lose. Toss in the fact that he's not especially accurate and doesn't always make the best reads. He just doesn't strike me as the kind of QB who can take us to the promised land.

We got hosed by some bad spots and penalties, but I feel we lost this game because Shough disappeared in the second half.

And seriously, what on earth happened to CJ Verdell? He looked so good late last season, and now he's just a non-factor. I love Travis Dye, but that's a problem that Dye is our best RB. Definitely doesn't do Shough any favors.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

JBB wrote:It’s safe to say NDSU would have rolled. The GAM had that game pegged. Anyone that would have followed the advice from the GAM results would have made a bundle betting against the way over hyped Ducks and completely underestimated 2020 NDSU BISON.
If the ducks had played non-conference games, they would also still have Peneii Sewell, Holland, Breeze, and Graham. That would have been a different team than this. Anyway, your timing really sucks for this post. But you knew that. Get lost.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

DmoneyDuck wrote:

Please leave.
I hope he stays. What he says makes sense.
northbeachsf
Freshman

Post by northbeachsf »

Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Its almost like we are playing like a team that lost its entire offensive line, it’s starting QB, it’s OC, 4 of their top 6 defensive players and didn’t get a chance to practice because of a pandemic.......

Oh wait....
Weird, do we have it worse off than other teams when it comes to Covid?
For sure! How many teams have 79 freshmen and sophomores on their roster? None.
We are the youngest team in the entire FBS, lost a ton of experience, and had reduced practice time. We are struggling with fundamentals and it is a direct result of that.

The expectations, considering the situation were ridiculous. I said at the start of the season that this team would probably drop a couple games and fans would lose their $&@). Here we are.
Last edited by northbeachsf on Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

duck023 wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:

Please leave.
I hope he stays. What he says makes sense.
You can leave too.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

northbeachsf wrote:
Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:Its almost like we are playing like a team that lost its entire offensive line, it’s starting QB, it’s OC, 4 of their top 6 defensive players and didn’t get a chance to practice because of a pandemic.......

Oh wait....
We are the youngest team in the entire FBS, lost a ton of experience, and had reduced practice time. We are struggling with fundamentals and it is a direct result of that.

The expectations, considering the situation were ridiculous. I said at the start of the season that this team would probably drop a couple games and fans would lose their $&@). Here we are.
I noticed you didn't answer my question as it relates to Covid because every team is dealing with it and we've had much easier with Covid than Cal has and the disruption of practices. Further, we play in the worst Power 5 league and we're not losing games because Penei, Jevon and the DBs aren't here. We're losing them because we have a starting DL that's playing like they're all brand new starters and are forcing a pocket passing QB to be a runner when he's not.
roleplay3r1
One Star Recruit

Post by roleplay3r1 »

Duck07 wrote:
northbeachsf wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Oh wait....

I noticed you didn't answer my question as it relates to Covid because every team is dealing with it and we've had much easier with Covid than Cal has and the disruption of practices. Further, we play in the worst Power 5 league and we're not losing games because Penei, Jevon and the DBs aren't here. We're losing them because we have a starting DL that's playing like they're all brand new starters and are forcing a pocket passing QB to be a runner when he's not.
In a sense, I think it’s totally reasonable to say Oregon has had it harder than most teams. The explanation that northbeachsf gave in regards to average age on the roster is valid. The stress on that young talent would be significantly less if the guys who opted out were still in the starting lineup. That young talent would be ina much better position to succeed if the stalwarts like Sewell, Holland, Breeze, Graham were still around. Without them, Oregon has the youngest roster in the country. Regardless of the fact that every team is suffering from COVID, that fact alone is very significant.

Of course, I see your point that obviously every team has been affected by opt outs. But I’m not sure there’s another team who lost the equivalent of a top 5 pick LT to protect our rookie QB, a first round pick DB to lead a secondary struggling at the S position. With Holland, Breeze and Graham added to Lenoir and Wright, Oregon likely has one of the top secondaries in the nation and takes a HUGE amount of pressure off of the young LB core and underperforming D line.

I also disagree with the Shough comment. If he’s our pocket passer, I’m scared. He has arm talent, but Shough has shown a very limited scope of ability in passing from the pocket. He rarely looks off receivers and frequently misses receivers and has often rushed passes. On the flip side, he’s been very impressive with his speed and elusiveness in the open field. Where I think he’s really struggled is in the zone read. Countless misreads where he had an open lane on a keeper or keeping the football and leaving himself on an island.

I don’t think this team was destined for greatness even with the upperclassmen not opting out. The front 7 talent just isn’t there this year and, while I think he has the talent to be a great college QB, Shough stood zero chance this year to lead this team to the playoff.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Lol this is hilarious.

NDSU was lucky to beat Central Arkansas, they were losing 28-25 with 7 minutes left in the game. Even this Oregon team with a shoestring camp and minus their best players would have rolled them.

Thanks JBB, we needed some cheering up. I forgot the mighty buffalo of D-2 existed, with BYU’s fan base stealing the show I forgot they aren’t the only fan base to be on a grand scale of delusion. Seeing Trey Lance go 15/30 for 140 yards against Central Arkansas makes me cherish Tyler Shough.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I also disagree with the Shough comment. If he’s our pocket passer, I’m scared.
My thoughts exactly. Nothing about Shough's game says "pocket passer." He's at his best when running out of the pocket. From the pocket, he kind of sucks. Every game, he throws 2-3 balls straight to defenders and he's regularly off target.

Overall, I really like our offensive playcalling now, but we need either a dominant RB or a dominant QB. Travis Dye should be a change-of-pace back, not our primary ball carrier. And Shough is the perfect backup, but not starter quality. It's not that he doesn't put up good stats, it's that he's just too wildly inconsistent and you never know when he's going to toss an unforced INT. We need an upgrade at QB or RB for the Ducks to really be good.
Willie Taggart is a dick.