Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Larry Scott is fired

Post by Tray Dub »

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: A removal from office we can all celebrate

Post by StevensTechU »

I saw it and had about ten one-liners for thread title in my head, haha.

Well done sir.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

The same organizations that hired him and kept him around for all these years are going to hire his replacement. Hate to be a negaduck, but I am skeptical that the conference is capable of making a good hire.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

wepto wrote:The same organizations that hired him and kept him around for all these years are going to hire his replacement. Hate to be a negaduck, but I am skeptical that the conference is capable of making a good hire.
It's a completely new set of school presidents and ADs from when he was hired so I've got a little more hope that a better replacement will be found.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Love that he is gone! Way over due. How much are we tied to his deals? Pac12 network? Pac12 late night? Etc?
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My Grandmother's Ghee-Zook! (To paraphrase grandpa, who drove a herd of cattle to Wyoming, then wrangled a cavvy of horses from there to Sweethome, before settling in Oregon... Pardon his colloquialism)

It's about dadburn time, whut it is!

Please God, guide us to a commish with less greed and more savvy!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Re: Larry Scott is fired

Post by bdkipe »

I’ll take Condie Rice, Poppa Luck or Greg Byrne. Hell, I’ll even take Moos, Bellotti or Kilkenny.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

greenyellow wrote:
wepto wrote:The same organizations that hired him and kept him around for all these years are going to hire his replacement. Hate to be a negaduck, but I am skeptical that the conference is capable of making a good hire.
It's a completely new set of school presidents and ADs from when he was hired so I've got a little more hope that a better replacement will be found.
I imagine Rob will play a large role in this search too.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Will Pac-12 Networks soon be available to all now?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
bigsugarduck
Five Star Recruit

Post by bigsugarduck »

Can someone fill me in on why LS was so universally disliked? If my memory is correct, I thought there was positive sentiment when he was hired and on the job for a year or so. What happened after?
Stewart Mandel-"From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer to watch a good spread-rushing offense over a traditional Power-I offense, and Oregon's has been the most fun by far for the past several years. It's fast, its precise, and when Chip Kelly has the right quarterback (Dixon, Masoli) at the helm, the possibility of someone ripping off a 60-yard run exists on nearly every play."
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

bigsugarduck wrote:Can someone fill me in on why LS was so universally disliked? If my memory is correct, I thought there was positive sentiment when he was hired and on the job for a year or so. What happened after?
Over the course of his tenure, Pac-12 schools fell far behind their counterparts in other conferences in revenue generation. While the Southeastern Conference and Big 10 elected to strike lucrative deals with ESPN and others, Larry Scott sought to set up an independent Pac-12 Network which could give the conference more flexibility to broadcast what they want and, theoretically, keep more of the earnings. Time quickly showed that the Pac-12 Network is no ESPN, with many service providers opting to not carry Pac-12 Networks at all. The revenue was a fraction of what was expected, and the costs were much greater. Now, years later, a school like Mississippi State has about the same financial might as a much greater brand like Oregon, and the quality of the on-field product across football and men's basketball has been on a steady downward trend, possibly due to having less financial resources.

Additionally, but much less significant in my personal opinion, Scott gets a lot of flack for what is perceived as poor football officiating. You see those comments in every talk space, internet or otherwise.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Larry Scott was also the highest paid commish in the country, never made a payment on the interest free loan he received from the PAC12, and arranged for palatial conference offices located in the most expensive part of San Francisco.

Obviously, the officiating unequivocally trumps all of that!

Rice might be a great choice, by comparison.
Last edited by woundedknees on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

he also took a nice 2.2 mil bonus handed out other bonuses then laid off
several people wasnt a good look
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

In addition to the things mentioned above, his handling of this football season was a mess. He secured the testing necessary to bring back the season, then just sat on his hands for weeks, while the other major conferences continued on, or started earlier. The guy has essentially destroyed the conference, and put it closer to Group of 5 status rather than a Power 5 conference. Can't wait until the guy is out. I think he ranks up top on my Terrible Commissioner Power Rankings, which is hard to do with guys like Goodell and Manfred out there.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

you get a pretty good idea of what he's like if you got to meet him.

I met him at an Oregon basketball game maybe 5 years ago and the
arrogance was way more then I could take. I didn't like him before I met him.
Conversation lasted 1 min and I moved on. I hope they hire someone that will
do the best for the conference and not for him/her self like LS.