Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lmduck

Re: Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Post by lmduck »

Gregory is not known as a great recruiter and let's be honest there is some stellar talent in Washington this year and projected to be good next year as well, and Rowan was a QC guy who they just promoted to an on-field role. Certainly has to make one wonder about Lake. But then again............
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

woundedknees wrote:My step-father played D-Line for the Beavz in the lead up to WWII... I just got a psychic message from him, RE : UW.

"LOL! Smooth Move, Exlax!"

I might have paraphrased that a bit.
Woah.. hello 1980 joke
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Jimmy Lake is Mark Helfrich with more charisma and way less coaching and recruiting skills. The wheels won’t fall off in 2021, their talent has a floor. But by 2022 there will be unexplainable losses and by 2023 they’ll be looking for a new coach.

*Chef’s kiss*
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

greenyellow wrote:
Well, I like him. {should we put that out in a press release?}
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Jimmy Lake is Mark Helfrich with more charisma and way less coaching and recruiting skills. The wheels won’t fall off in 2021, their talent has a floor. But by 2022 there will be unexplainable losses and by 2023 they’ll be looking for a new coach.

*Chef’s kiss*
The fan base seems to.think the wheels are off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm in wait and see mode on both guys. No reason with our talent level Oregon should not have a top 15 defense nationally next season(*unless we have really bad secondary issues based on recruiting).
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Interesting from DeRuyter that he says they will run a similar defense to what Oregon has been using. These were my takeaways:

* Kayvon will be moved around, brought from the edges, dropped into coverage, and not used “inside” - which I love to hear. Maximize his value and impact. I loved the way we used Kenny Rowe in the past, even though he may have been beat in coverage a few times having the offense figure out if he’s coming to kill the QB or covering the flat was important to causing turnovers for those defenses.

* The “Star” position sounds like the nickel that Jamal Hill and Jevon Holland played. Hill really started to turn it on late last season, so excited to see him improve and have a big role.

* DeRuyter stressed the importance of takeaways, which was one of the crucial drop offs from 2019 to 2020 when Oregon went from top-10 to bottom-10.

I’m more excited for this hire than I was initially. DeRuyter genuinely seems excited to be here and have the opportunity to work with Cristobal and this talent level. I can’t blame him, this is the most talented defense he’s had the keys to - including the Von Miller A&M teams. The description of Cristobal’s hiring process also has me relieved, it sounds exhaustive and thorough. Making sure it’s the right job fit for both sides. Now let’s go get a position coach who can recruit at an elite level.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

jimmy12 wrote:
woundedknees wrote:My step-father played D-Line for the Beavz in the lead up to WWII... I just got a psychic message from him, RE : UW.

"LOL! Smooth Move, Exlax!"

I might have paraphrased that a bit.
Woah.. hello 1980 joke
That's shortly before he passed away, so I'll cut him some slack, this time ;)!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Wow, Oregon saved money on the Avalos-DeRuyter change?

That’s not a bad deal.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Wow, Oregon saved money on the Avalos-DeRuyter change?

That’s not a bad deal.
Yeah, feels like UO should have paid him a little more. He is making about what he made last year at Cal. Would like to see him have incentive to stay around.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

RanDux wrote:

That’s not a bad deal.
Yeah, feels like UO should have paid him a little more. He is making about what he made last year at Cal. Would like to see him have incentive to stay around.
Well, he wasn't calling plays. He was being moved to the side for another DC and he didn't feel valued.

It's not all about money and he is paid what the market said he was worth AND he accepted the agreement. So, not need to pay him more. It's a good deal for both sides and he will feel valued at Oregon. (unlike Cal).

What I am more interested in is who they hire to backfill Heyward. They have some money to spend and they can either use it for that replacement or use part of it and hire other roles in the recruiting department. I heard an interesting new role being hired up at Wazzu called Transfer Coordinator. It's a role specifically watching and evaluating transfer portal / grad transfer targets. Candidy, I love it. The Ducks have been recruiting super well, so haven't needed much from the TP. There will be opportunities though and they should be ready IMO.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

jimmy12 wrote:
RanDux wrote:

That’s not a bad deal.
Well, he wasn't calling plays. He was being moved to the side for another DC and he didn't feel valued.

It's not all about money and he is paid what the market said he was worth AND he accepted the agreement. So, not need to pay him more. It's a good deal for both sides and he will feel valued at Oregon. (unlike Cal).

What I am more interested in is who they hire to backfill Heyward. They have some money to spend and they can either use it for that replacement or use part of it and hire other roles in the recruiting department. I heard an interesting new role being hired up at Wazzu called Transfer Coordinator. It's a role specifically watching and evaluating transfer portal / grad transfer targets. Candidy, I love it. The Ducks have been recruiting super well, so haven't needed much from the TP. There will be opportunities though and they should be ready IMO.
Also, real estate prices are considerably less in Eugene than the Bay Area. The same contract is a raise.