Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Source: https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ordinator/

Currently the Co-DC at Cal, and once again Mario picks a defensive coordinator who beat him. I think this is a really good hire on the strategy and Xs and Os part but DeRuyter is not known as a dynamic recruiter.

What does everyone think?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Post by buckmarkduck »

Looks like a great hire. And word is he isn’t looking to be a HC again, so hopefully he sticks around. As far as recruiting, we have a bunch of guys to help him with that.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Looks like a great hire. And word is he isn’t looking to be a HC again, so hopefully he sticks around. As far as recruiting, we have a bunch of guys to help him with that.
Well said. He’ll have good people around him to help him hone his recruiting chops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Additional side note-DeRutyer was very high on UWs list to replace Kwiatkowski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Source: https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ordinator/

Currently the Co-DC at Cal, and once again Mario picks a defensive coordinator who beat him. I think this is a really good hire on the strategy and Xs and Os part but DeRuyter is not known as a dynamic recruiter.

What does everyone think?
They have enough recruiters. Coordinators need to be great X's and O's guys and positional coaches and Cristobal can focus on the recruiting aspect. That seems to be Cristobal's MO, and I think it's a smart one. How many times did we hear Avalos was a big part of a guy's recruitment? Very rarely, as I recall. Heyward is the only one I'm worried about. Hoping being passed over a 2nd time doesn't cause him to get disgruntled and leave.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I like the hire as a solid but not spectacular move and echo the sentiment that he could foreseeably be here for a while.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Re Hayward- he is the 2nd highest paid DB coach in America, where is he going to go to get that same coin?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Really like this hire. I'm sure he brings a lot of west coast connections that we can take advantage of.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Re Hayward- he is the 2nd highest paid DB coach in America, where is he going to go to get that same coin?
As a DC? Cristobal may think he’s not ready to call plays, but that doesn’t mean another team won’t give him a shot. I don’t think he’d leave for a lateral move, nor am I saying he is disgruntled. However, like anyone else, he likely wants to grow in his profession and wants a shot as a DC. I know he’s co-DC here, but let’s be real. He gets none of the credit when the defense does well. All of that has gone to Avalos in the past and will go to Deruyter in the future.
Last edited by droop10 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I'm sure there will be analysis done by our ducks brethren on his defense but I was itching to get a read on him and here's some analysis done on his defense from a few years ago.

https://cal.rivals.com/news/what-does-t ... the-table-

1. I question what will happen to the STUD players - specifically Funa. He was too slow last year for OLB and probably too small for DE (unless he bulks more)
2. We were in a rush to find more corners for Avalos's scheme - will we still need that many this year.

I'm so thankful for having CMC - don't think there are that many other coaches out there who can change coordinators fairly frequently and continue to have the organization running smoothly (knock on wood).
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

ducks5ever wrote:I'm sure there will be analysis done by our ducks brethren on his defense but I was itching to get a read on him and here's some analysis done on his defense from a few years ago.

https://cal.rivals.com/news/what-does-t ... the-table-

1. I question what will happen to the STUD players - specifically Funa. He was too slow last year for OLB and probably too small for DE (unless he bulks more)
2. We were in a rush to find more corners for Avalos's scheme - will we still need that many this year.

I'm so thankful for having CMC - don't think there are that many other coaches out there who can change coordinators fairly frequently and continue to have the organization running smoothly (knock on wood).
Reported by Rivals that DeRuyter may be shifting the Ducks to a 4-3 base, because it better fits their personnel.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

this is worth a few minutes of your time to read:

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_ ... uyter.html
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

droop10 wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:Re Hayward- he is the 2nd highest paid DB coach in America, where is he going to go to get that same coin?
As a DC? Cristobal may think he’s not ready to call plays, but that doesn’t mean another team won’t give him a shot. I don’t think he’d leave for a lateral move, nor am I saying he is disgruntled. However, like anyone else, he likely wants to grow in his profession and wants a shot as a DC. I know he’s co-DC here, but let’s be real. He gets none of the credit when the defense does well. All of that has gone to Avalos in the past and will go to Deruyter in the future.

And if that’s the case, I have no issue with him leaving for an promotion. His safety recruiting has been sub par, and the group this year was our weakness on D.
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

I'd be near shocked to see a base "4-3".
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Yeah I don't think there is any chance we see a 4-3 base.

Maybe a 4-3 set on occasion, but MC prefers odd fronts and the 4-3 is not conducive to our personnel or to the PAC-12 play in general.