Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Re: Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Post by greenyellow »

OrTDuck wrote:I'd be near shocked to see a base "4-3".
Sure seems a multiple guy like Avalos was. Oregon may have had a base defense but they routinely switched in and out of different looks depending on their opponent and situation.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Good track record, knows the Pac-12, I hope that he does great. I didn't need a "splash" hire, we just need a coach that can consistently keep us in the top 20 in defense nationally.

Probably fair we have someone from Cal on the staff considering half their staff seem to be Oregon guys!
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Good sound choice. Always aggressive, puts a lot of pressure on the qb to me a must
in the pac12 with all the passing teams. Glad it wasnt a young up and comer that would
leave in a year. Hopefully with his connections he can recruit. Not sure of his recruiting skills
but i'm sure MC figured that in..
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Sounds like he should be a solid coach for us, sounds like recruiting isn't great but that's what MC and position coaches are for!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Texas A&M was 101 scoring D the year before he showed up, and he improved it to 21st. Everywhere he has been, he improves the D significantly year 1.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Of interest: rumors of Keith Heyward being a candidate at Cal, he previously worked with Wilcox, and Texas still has one more assistant slot.

Jonathan Smith also throwing some shade: “easy to promote great people” https://twitter.com/coach_smith/status/ ... 97952?s=21
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Cal and Texas don't currently have any DB or S coaching slots available so I'm not sure where those rumors are coming from.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Of interest: rumors of Keith Heyward being a candidate at Cal, he previously worked with Wilcox, and Texas still has one more assistant slot.

Jonathan Smith also throwing some shade: “easy to promote great people” https://twitter.com/coach_smith/status/ ... 97952?s=21
Maybe instead of throwing shade, Smith should focus on the fact Heyward declined to join his staff when he approached him , and also the fact that other schools rarely come after people on his staff. When was the last time any major program had interest in an OS assistant?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

greenyellow wrote:Cal and Texas don't currently have any DB or S coaching slots available so I'm not sure where those rumors are coming from.
Just message board and twitter rumors for now. Probably based on both Heyward’s comments last time and his connection to both staffs.
https://twitter.com/westcoastcfb/status ... 60864?s=21
Cal and Texas have DB coaches but they do have an opening for one more on field assistant. Not out of the realm of possibility, just another thing to keep an eye on.

Speaking of DB coaches, Donte Williams keeps weaving his web as USC gets a commit from 5-star and #1 CB Domani Jackson. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Donte even if just to stop USC from getting those guys. Their next head coach may not be a dummy like Clay Helton.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Internet rumor is he won’t get a contract extension.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Cal and Texas don't currently have any DB or S coaching slots available so I'm not sure where those rumors are coming from.
Just message board and twitter rumors for now. Probably based on both Heyward’s comments last time and his connection to both staffs.
Cal and Texas have DB coaches but they do have an opening for one more on field assistant. Not out of the realm of possibility, just another thing to keep an eye on.

Speaking of DB coaches, Donte Williams keeps weaving his web as USC gets a commit from 5-star and #1 CB Domani Jackson. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Donte even if just to stop USC from getting those guys. Their next head coach may not be a dummy like Clay Helton.
While he has received some high end commitments, he's also been super irresponsible in the roster management. Their lines are rubbish and they keep adding only skill players. It's really odd. I'd love to have a couple of their guys, but I like our class a lot better (yes, I know Domani is class of 22). Let's see what happens when they lose 3 games next year.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:Internet rumor is he won’t get a contract extension.
Assume you are referring to Heyward? Any reason being given? Just wondering why they would not extend him for at least one year.

Him to going Cal does not make a lot of sense. They don't have the money to pay him. As long as Sirmon is there he (KH) would likely not be the DC. Would Cal be willing to give him the same titles he has at UO, (Co-DC, Asst Head Coach)??

I have no particular insights but something does seem odd.

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck2013 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:

Texas doesn't have an opening anymore. Looks like Cal is the only opening, but wouldn't that be a lateral move with Sirmon calling plays?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lmduck wrote:
Assume you are referring to Heyward? Any reason being given? Just wondering why they would not extend him for at least one year.

Him to going Cal does not make a lot of sense. They don't have the money to pay him. As long as Sirmon is there he (KH) would likely not be the DC. Would Cal be willing to give him the same titles he has at UO, (Co-DC, Asst Head Coach)??

Cal pays Sirmon 250k a year and TD 450k before he left for UO. Hayward makes 650 at UO, and I doubt Cal pays him that, and I also doubt he leaves UO for less unless he has no choice.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:
lmduck wrote:

Cal pays Sirmon 250k a year and TD 450k before he left for UO. Hayward makes 650 at UO, and I doubt Cal pays him that, and I also doubt he leaves UO for less unless he has no choice.
My point exactly. He would be going to Cal as a co-dc for less money. It doesn't make sense but maybe there is something we don't know. I am not saying there are issues, just saying there COULD be other factors.