Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Re: Oregon to hire Tim DeRuyter as new Defensive Coordinator

Post by GoDucksTroll »

As an FYI Sirmon had gotten a pay bump at Cal for 2020, to $750k. But they had lowered DeRuyter’s pay to do that. In 2019 DeRuyter made $850k thanks to a $300k retention bonus, for 2020 it was $400k.

If true about the contract not being renewed that is interesting. Maybe it’s for the best for both parties.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Cal and Texas don't currently have any DB or S coaching slots available so I'm not sure where those rumors are coming from.
Just message board and twitter rumors for now. Probably based on both Heyward’s comments last time and his connection to both staffs.
https://twitter.com/westcoastcfb/status ... 60864?s=21
Cal and Texas have DB coaches but they do have an opening for one more on field assistant. Not out of the realm of possibility, just another thing to keep an eye on.

Speaking of DB coaches, Donte Williams keeps weaving his web as USC gets a commit from 5-star and #1 CB Domani Jackson. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Donte even if just to stop USC from getting those guys. Their next head coach may not be a dummy like Clay Helton.
IIRC there was a family thing with Donte too, not just money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

chapelhillduck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Cal and Texas don't currently have any DB or S coaching slots available so I'm not sure where those rumors are coming from.
Just message board and twitter rumors for now. Probably based on both Heyward’s comments last time and his connection to both staffs.
https://twitter.com/westcoastcfb/status ... 60864?s=21
Cal and Texas have DB coaches but they do have an opening for one more on field assistant. Not out of the realm of possibility, just another thing to keep an eye on.

Speaking of DB coaches, Donte Williams keeps weaving his web as USC gets a commit from 5-star and #1 CB Domani Jackson. We should have thrown the kitchen sink at Donte even if just to stop USC from getting those guys. Their next head coach may not be a dummy like Clay Helton.
IIRC there was a family thing with Donte too, not just money?

Donte’s father was in hospice care and close to the end. He wanted to be able to spend time with him and the be able to help.his mother.

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Feldman now reporting Heyward is a ‘strong candidate ‘ at Cal.

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sure would be taking a big paycut to join Cal's staff. Wonder if he got potentially got tired of not getting the DC spot. If he leaves, Oregon would seemingly need a strong West Coast recruiter as there really wouldn't be a known ace recruiter on the staff anymore, which is a big reason Heyward was brought to Eugene in the first place.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Would definitely be a big loss from a recruiting standpoint. He's recruited big fish everywhere he's been.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Big fan of Heyward, but you can't fault him for wanting the opportunity to call plays and advance in his career.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck wrote:Big fan of Heyward, but you can't fault him for wanting the opportunity to call plays and advance in his career.
He really wouldn't be calling plays as Sirmon does that with heavy input from Wilcox.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

After looking at the recruiting rankings for assistant coaches, the bottom 3 on the staff for the 2021 cycle are Heyward, Avalos, and Salave'a. Besides one or two seasons, Heyward really hasn't been a top recruiting assistant for the staff.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Welp. Heyward has posted on Twitter that he's officially gone. We'll see if they can find a suitable replacement. I imagine it'll have to be someone with some really strong recruiting chops, because Heyward has played a much bigger role in recruiting than just safeties, ie he was Thibodeaux's lead recruiter. I believe I read DeRuyter has previously coached safeties, so that should provide them some flexibility with what position coach they want to target.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Nice thing is that they should have plenty in the budget to find a replacement. California ties should frankly be the #1 factor here.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I don’t blame Heyward for moving on, and I don’t blame Oregon for wanting to move on as well. In this profession four years is a good tenure for an assistant.

I also liked that Heyward wrote a note thanking people and to say goodbye. Did Avalos ever get around to that or are we still waiting?

Time to go grab another defensive coach, preferably one with some recruiting chops. I also have to wonder if there will be other staff changes.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

droop10 wrote:Welp. Heyward has posted on Twitter that he's officially gone. We'll see if they can find a suitable replacement. I imagine it'll have to be someone with some really strong recruiting chops, because Heyward has played a much bigger role in recruiting than just safeties, ie he was Thibodeaux's lead recruiter. I believe I read DeRuyter has previously coached safeties, so that should provide them some flexibility with what position coach they want to target.
DeRuyter has also coached LBs so there is some real flexibility. I do think they need to hire some coaches who are younger and/or good recruiters because the staff's average age is starting to get old (especially after the coordinator hires the past couple seasons) and they've now lost their two ace West Coast recruiters.
fernandez5
One Star Recruit

Post by fernandez5 »

greenyellow wrote:
droop10 wrote:Welp. Heyward has posted on Twitter that he's officially gone. We'll see if they can find a suitable replacement. I imagine it'll have to be someone with some really strong recruiting chops, because Heyward has played a much bigger role in recruiting than just safeties, ie he was Thibodeaux's lead recruiter. I believe I read DeRuyter has previously coached safeties, so that should provide them some flexibility with what position coach they want to target.
DeRuyter has also coached LBs so there is some real flexibility. I do think they need to hire some coaches who are younger and/or good recruiters because the staff's average age is starting to get old (especially after the coordinator hires the past couple seasons) and they've now lost their two ace West Coast recruiters.
Any chance Tosh can coach LB’s and have Deruyter take on safety duties? Would certainly be a boost to defense recruiting.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

fernandez5 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
Any chance Tosh can coach LB’s and have Deruyter take on safety duties? Would certainly be a boost to defense recruiting.
If they can't get a top notch safeties coach who's got strong West Coast recruiting chops like Heyward had, then having DeRuyter coach safeties in addition to his DC job while bringing in Lupoi to coach the OLBs/edge rushers would be the next best option.