Keith Heyward not returning

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Keith Heyward not returning

Post by greenyellow »

Doubt this will be the only change as the contracts for just about every coach (save for Moorhead, McClendon, Chance, and Wilson) is up this off-season. Heyward leaving would be a chance for Cristobal to get another ace recruiter that they've been missing since Donte Williams left.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Keith Heyward not returning

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bummer.. I like Heyward.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

HCMC clearly doesn't see him as a DC. So he is absolutely right to leave. DeRuyter clearly had the better resumé.

Biggest difference between Helf and MC is Helf would've felt obligated to hire Heyward even if he wasn't the best candidate.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Statements like these from Holland and KT show the real need for a strong recruiter to get high-end West Coast talent, especially now that they've lost both Donte Williams and Heyward to conference schools in CA.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Tosh for "Safeties" Coach.

yes I know
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

Anyone know how Todd Lyght enjoyed his time in Eugene?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OrTDuck wrote:Anyone know how Todd Lyght enjoyed his time in Eugene?
Don't know but Oregon would certainly seem like a potential landing spot. One issue from his time at ND was he didn't recruit high-level DBs well, but that seems to be an issue spanning multiple ND DB coaches so not completely reflective on him.
bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Post by bdkipe »

I know it’s extremely wishful thinking but what about kicking the tires on bringing Coach Donte back with a nice raise, including enough for him to move his mother up here? (This is me assuming that his father has since unfortunately passed, as with my own experience of having a father pass in hospice, it’s generally only a matter of months).

There might not be as much sun, but Eugene has cleaner air, much less expensive housing, smaller gas tax, smaller state income tax and no sales tax.

I realize it’s not going to happen but Williams has got to see that Clay Helton is not nearly in as stable a situation as Coach MC. If Helton gets fired then what for his staff? Mario isn’t going anywhere in the next few years.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

bdkipe wrote:I know it’s extremely wishful thinking but what about kicking the tires on bringing Coach Donte back with a nice raise, including enough for him to move his mother up here? (This is me assuming that his father has since unfortunately passed, as with my own experience of having a father pass in hospice, it’s generally only a matter of months).

There might not be as much sun, but Eugene has cleaner air, much less expensive housing, smaller gas tax, smaller state income tax and no sales tax.

I realize it’s not going to happen but Williams has got to see that Clay Helton is not nearly in as stable a situation as Coach MC. If Helton gets fired then what for his staff? Mario isn’t going anywhere in the next few years.
Helton is going to get canned sooner rather than later, but odds are pretty good that Donte is hired by the next coach or will have no shortage of suitors. I think he received another promotion/title to associate head coach. I also remember hearing USC gave him close to $900k to leave Oregon. We don’t know for sure since it’s a private school. Maybe Donte also prefers LA, not just for how much easier it is to recruit to LA and how he can drive across town for recruits.
Praxium
One Star Recruit

Post by Praxium »

Demetrius Summler at SDSU would be s good hire considering his ties to the area.

If they can bring him back Dante Williams is the obvious pick.

Steve Clinkscale at Kentucky would be an awesome hire as well (imo he might be the best DB coach in the country) but his lack of ties to the west coast might be problematic.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

If Big Joe’s contract is up and Mario can land Tosh as a DL coach that would be quite a coup. The Falcons laid off their staff, and if there are no NFL or college coordinator jobs maybe Tosh would consider it. Reportedly he, and Chris Ash, were the runners up for the DC job.
That’s ~$1.3 million of salary between Salave’a and Heyward. $1 mil for Tosh and $300k for a young G-5 coach, like that Louisiana Lafayette coach Patrick Toney. I
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:If Big Joe’s contract is up and Mario can land Tosh as a DL coach that would be quite a coup. The Falcons laid off their staff, and if there are no NFL or college coordinator jobs maybe Tosh would consider it. Reportedly he, and Chris Ash, were the runners up for the DC job.
That’s ~$1.3 million of salary between Salave’a and Heyward. $1 mil for Tosh and $300k for a young G-5 coach, like that Louisiana Lafayette coach Patrick Toney. I
Are you implying Joe’s contract won't be renewed? That is highly unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I feel like landing Tosh as a coach will be the hire that finally draws the scrutiny of the NCAA and implodes the program. You can see from the bag men thread that a decent amount of duck fans think that we already use bag men, so to hire a known bag man seems like a terrible idea.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

karlhungis wrote:I feel like landing Tosh as a coach will be the hire that finally draws the scrutiny of the NCAA and implodes the program. You can see from the bag men thread that a decent amount of duck fans think that we already use bag men, so to hire a known bag man seems like a terrible idea.
Not a big Lupoi fan, but Bama blatantly is dishing out cars to guys that attend there while Tosh was around, and that apparently never drew NCAA scrutiny. Granted, they tend to turn a blind eye to the SEC, and choose to arbitrarily enforce punishments on the Pac. Personally, I'm cool with the guy not coming, as I don't think he's a great coach. Recruiting can only get you so far if you can't develop the guys, ie USC.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

droop10 wrote:
karlhungis wrote:I feel like landing Tosh as a coach will be the hire that finally draws the scrutiny of the NCAA and implodes the program. You can see from the bag men thread that a decent amount of duck fans think that we already use bag men, so to hire a known bag man seems like a terrible idea.
Not a big Lupoi fan, but Bama blatantly is dishing out cars to guys that attend there while Tosh was around, and that apparently never drew NCAA scrutiny. Granted, they tend to turn a blind eye to the SEC, and choose to arbitrarily enforce punishments on the Pac. Personally, I'm cool with the guy not coming, as I don't think he's a great coach. Recruiting can only get you so far if you can't develop the guys, ie USC.
Remember what happened when we were having success with kids Texas didn't recruit? We got sanctioned for doing the same activities that everyone else was doing. Just because Bama is getting away with something, doesn't mean that we wouldn't get nailed for doing the same thing. We are already hated by other coaches in the conference and if we get flagrant with our recruiting, we will get hammered eventually. I personally just think that Tosh is a step too far. And I agree, he brings nothing to the table from a coaching standpoint.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!