Keith Heyward not returning

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Re: Keith Heyward not returning

Post by GrantDuck »

Heyward is probably the largest "loss" we've had under Cristobal's tenure with coaching. I'm not sure the reasoning behind Mario not hiring him as DC, but I hope Heyward is a success wherever he goes and DeRuyter works out great for us too.

Heyward was also a really good dude and I hope we can find someone that's a good coach and a really good/compassionate recruiter with families.

XBox Tosh ain't the guy.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GrantDuck wrote:Heyward is probably the largest "loss" we've had under Cristobal's tenure with coaching. I'm not sure the reasoning behind Mario not hiring him as DC, but I hope Heyward is a success wherever he goes and DeRuyter works out great for us too.

Heyward was also a really good dude and I hope we can find someone that's a good coach and a really good/compassionate recruiter with families.

XBox Tosh ain't the guy.
Donte Williams was a pretty major loss.

This is honestly the nature of college football. Good programs get coaches poached. I said it in another thread, when was the last time OS was having other schools come after their coaches???? Not saying they are not good coaches, it's just that other schools are not yet saying, ‘hey I wanna replicate what Oregon State is doing’. Not trying to sound snarky at all cuz they beat UO this year but it's reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

There is a reason he wasn’t an option as full time, play-calling DC. I’m not going to question MC, at least not yet. There have been plenty of posts about KH making a lateral move. Great recruiter, not a guy u want calling plays...evidently. Listened to Nemec’s show last night. Not that I trust everything he says, but he put KH only in the top 30 PAC12 recruiters. Question is why hasn’t he already been poached, if he was so good? Off topic, he listed coach Joe only in the top 40. There is a reason Hayward and Salavea weren’t really even in the running for DC. I’m glad MC isn’t following the Helfrich mantra of hiring mainly from within. Best man up vs. next man up.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

lmduck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If Big Joe’s contract is up and Mario can land Tosh as a DL coach that would be quite a coup. The Falcons laid off their staff, and if there are no NFL or college coordinator jobs maybe Tosh would consider it. Reportedly he, and Chris Ash, were the runners up for the DC job.
That’s ~$1.3 million of salary between Salave’a and Heyward. $1 mil for Tosh and $300k for a young G-5 coach, like that Louisiana Lafayette coach Patrick Toney. I
Are you implying Joe’s contract won't be renewed? That is highly unlikely.

I’m not certain it will be renewed. There’s no rumors of anything, my guess would be that it does get renewed.

I’ll harp on the same points I’ve been making for a while in regards to Big Joe, and I’ll probably repeat them again. No idea if Mario agrees.
1. Third highest paid DL coach in 2020, behind Ohio State’s and Auburn’s.
2. The DL position group has never been even top-3 in the conference despite being gifted Thibodeaux.
3. The recruiting by Big Joe has been suspect. The Faoliu brothers have been the only contributors of note that were his recruits.
4. Salave’a appears unable to recruit players that are not of Polynesian heritage. It’s very worrisome.
5. Part of point 4 is that the most promising young DL (Brandon Dorlus, Kristian Williams, Bradyn Swint, Jaylen Smith) Were all recruited by others. We whiffed on so many DL that we tried for.
6. Big Joe has been great at assisting in the recruiting of Poly players for OL and LB.
7. It’s difficult to determine how good he is at developing. Both Jordon Scott and Austin Faoliu outplayed their rankings. But Scott and Jalen Jelks were guys who declined. Carlberg, Popo, and Gus Cumberlander had improved.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
lmduck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:If Big Joe’s contract is up and Mario can land Tosh as a DL coach that would be quite a coup. The Falcons laid off their staff, and if there are no NFL or college coordinator jobs maybe Tosh would consider it. Reportedly he, and Chris Ash, were the runners up for the DC job.
That’s ~$1.3 million of salary between Salave’a and Heyward. $1 mil for Tosh and $300k for a young G-5 coach, like that Louisiana Lafayette coach Patrick Toney. I
Are you implying Joe’s contract won't be renewed? That is highly unlikely.

I’m not certain it will be renewed. There’s no rumors of anything, my guess would be that it does get renewed.

I’ll harp on the same points I’ve been making for a while in regards to Big Joe, and I’ll probably repeat them again. No idea if Mario agrees.
1. Third highest paid DL coach in 2020, behind Ohio State’s and Auburn’s.
2. The DL position group has never been even top-3 in the conference despite being gifted Thibodeaux.
3. The recruiting by Big Joe has been suspect. The Faoliu brothers have been the only contributors of note that were his recruits.
4. Salave’a appears unable to recruit players that are not of Polynesian heritage. It’s very worrisome.
5. Part of point 4 is that the most promising young DL (Brandon Dorlus, Kristian Williams, Bradyn Swint, Jaylen Smith) Were all recruited by others. We whiffed on so many DL that we tried for.
6. Big Joe has been great at assisting in the recruiting of Poly players for OL and LB.
7. It’s difficult to determine how good he is at developing. Both Jordon Scott and Austin Faoliu outplayed their rankings. But Scott and Jalen Jelks were guys who declined. Carlberg, Popo, and Gus Cumberlander had improved.
I agree with all of this. I always thought i was in the minority, but I think big joe is insanely overrated. I was absolutely amazed when i initially found out how much he was paid compared to other DL coaches, especially with what he has produced.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Coach Heyward handled his being passed over and subsequent departure with grace and class. That says a lot about his character. He will be missed greatly.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Strange that he'll just be Cal's OLB coach, no co-DC or title add-ons like he had at Oregon.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

As weird as it seems, don't forget that Oregon ended up with Bryan McClendon under similar-ish circumstances. The path forward seemed untenable, so be took less money and a demotion to get to a spot that was overall better for him professionally.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:As weird as it seems, don't forget that Oregon ended up with Bryan McClendon under similar-ish circumstances. The path forward seemed untenable, so be took less money and a demotion to get to a spot that was overall better for him professionally.
Good and valid points STU.

Unless Sirmon moves on Heyward does not move up at Cal. It still seems likely that Heyward at some point has to move down a level to become a DC.

oregonpride
Two Star Recruit

Post by oregonpride »

Pretty obvious Heyward wanted out
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

It's interesting that Avalos did not offer him the DC job at BSU.

Autzenoise
Five Star Recruit

Post by Autzenoise »

Seems to me that all things point to MC not wanting him on staff. Passed over, nothing ever leaked about how much he was wanted/needed like normally does when someone has this happen and the fact that he took a lateral (at best) position at Cal. Also notice how there are a lot of people talking about how maybe he wasn't as great of a recruiter as we had been led to believe.

Just my opinion.
"Canzano is to sports, what Jerry Springer is to news…"
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:As weird as it seems, don't forget that Oregon ended up with Bryan McClendon under similar-ish circumstances. The path forward seemed untenable, so be took less money and a demotion to get to a spot that was overall better for him professionally.

I think he was fired as OC though, right? Who wants to stay at a place you’ve been fired/demoted at? Heyward wasn’t demoted, and there is a good chance he is losing 300k a year going to cal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:

I think he was fired as OC though, right? Who wants to stay at a place you’ve been fired/demoted at? Heyward wasn’t demoted, and there is a good chance he is losing 300k a year going to cal.
Doesn't sound like Heyward is going to be losing much money as Cal increased their assistant salary pool and DeRuyter was making around $700K-$800K per year the last couple years when combining his base salary with all the bonuses and extras he had in his previous deal.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

Doesn't sound like Heyward is going to be losing much money as Cal increased their assistant salary pool and DeRuyter was making around $700K-$800K per year the last couple years when combining his base salary with all the bonuses and extras he had in his previous deal.

We’ll see. But Sirmon made 250k, and was co DC.