Keith Heyward not returning

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Re: Keith Heyward not returning

Post by bdkipe »

Let’s not forget cost of living in Berkeley/ Bay Area vs Eugene, Cali state income taxes, Cali gas taxes, Cali sales tax...Coach Heyward is DEFINITELY taking a cut in net income. But, if this is the route he feels like he needs to go then I am behind him 100%. This is what’s best for him and his family. By all accounts he is a great man of character and a great teacher. I hope gets to realize his dream someday.

His leaving with his goodbye to the team and the fans was all class and REALLY makes me wonder what went wrong in Avalos’ departure that he bounced without (publicly) saying goodbye. Not that he had too but still it was odd he just ✌️’d out like that.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

bdkipe wrote:Let’s not forget cost of living in Berkeley/ Bay Area vs Eugene, Cali state income taxes, Cali gas taxes, Cali sales tax...Coach Heyward is DEFINITELY taking a cut in net income. But, if this is the route he feels like he needs to go then I am behind him 100%. This is what’s best for him and his family. By all accounts he is a great man of character and a great teacher. I hope gets to realize his dream someday.

His leaving with his goodbye to the team and the fans was all class and REALLY makes me wonder what went wrong in Avalos’ departure that he bounced without (publicly) saying goodbye. Not that he had too but still it was odd he just [VICTORY HAND]️’d out like that.
Agree about the way KH handled things. Avalos should have done the same thing but I think his head got a bit big when he knew he was getting the BSU job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Any word on people targeted for his replacement?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I agree with everyone praising the way Heyward handled leaving, he did it with class. The reaction from players, their families, and fans show how much he was appreciated by them.

I don’t know what the deal with Andy Avalos is. He wasn’t being fired. Nothing to suggest any acrimony in parting. Yet he couldn’t send out one tweet saying “Thanks to my players at Oregon, so proud of you” or some boilerplate thing? Maybe he just doesn’t want to upset Boise fans.

The Heyward not having his contract renewed was a mutual thing, maybe it was a Mario thing. Heyward didn’t have the greatest recruiting year, but he is a good recruiter historically. It could be something like Donte Williams would always out-recruit him and Cristobal wanted to change that. The path to becoming a play calling DC might be helped by going to Wilcox and doing that, but who knows. This could be a win-win for both sides.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:We’ll see. But Sirmon made 250k, and was co DC.
According to this article, he's making $250K as a base salary but makes more in bonuses. That seems to be the way they do their contracts down there.

https://cal.rivals.com/news/cal-footbal ... ter-sirmon
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

For salaries I prefer the USA Today database: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salari ... /assistant

It’s very accurate and includes bonuses and pandemic reductions for 2020. After pandemic reductions it says Sirmon for $728k and DeRuyter $393k. I believe that includes total pay like retention bonuses.

Speaking of retention bonuses, did y’all know that Rob Mullens is getting $2.5 million in retention bonuses through 2025? Culminating in a $1 million bonus. His base salary is $717k and there are other bonuses as well.