S Coaching options

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

Re: S Coaching options

Post by woundedknees »

Is Cal the new Wazzu?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

woundedknees wrote:Is Cal the new Wazzu?
“If you beat us, we will hire away your best assistants” - Mario Cristobal

Interestingly enough if Mario leaves I would imagine Wilcox is the first call to replace him, so Cal is now the coaching farm team for Oregon.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:

Interestingly enough if Mario leaves I would imagine Wilcox is the first call to replace him, so Cal is now the coaching farm team for Oregon.
Not sure Wilcox would get that call. There's some stuff that might hold that up. 'Nuff' said
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Haha— ok
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

lmduck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:

Not sure Wilcox would get that call. There's some stuff that might hold that up. 'Nuff' said
I disagree that enough was said. I have no idea what you are talking about.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

No idea what IM is talking about. But I’d put Wilcox about 5th on the call list. The more Mario proves you can recruit to UO, the more I think this job is attractive to higher end guys.

Back on topi, Yates seems like a great hire. It will be nice to have a safeties coach who is all in and happy to be here.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
lmduck wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:

I disagree that enough was said. I have no idea what you are talking about.
When Wilcox interviewed for the DC position a few years ago he did not ingratiate himself well with some people and it left some lasting impressions. For the record it was not PK either. It was others on campus and in the AD administration .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmduck

S Coaching options

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:No idea what IM is talking about. But I’d put Wilcox about 5th on the call list. The more Mario proves you can recruit to UO, the more I think this job is attractive to higher end guys.

Back on topi, Yates seems like a great hire. It will be nice to have a safeties coach who is all in and happy to be here.
You are spot on. Wilcox would not be at the top of the list.

Wilcox is perceived as an ‘average coach’ by Bay Area media.

There is also a sexual harassment issue that surfaced in 2019 within the Cal football program. The WORD from some well placed Cal alums was that Wilcox was involved. The case made national news. The woman transferred from Cal. According to the same alums the woman was very credible.

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

lmduck wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:No idea what IM is talking about. But I’d put Wilcox about 5th on the call list. The more Mario proves you can recruit to UO, the more I think this job is attractive to higher end guys.

There is also a sexual harassment issue that surfaced in 2019 within the Cal football program. The WORD from some well placed Cal alums was that Wilcox was involved. The case made national news. The woman transferred from Cal. According to the same alums the woman was very credible.

What local media praises a coach with an average record?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

karlhungis wrote:
lmduck wrote:

What local media praises a coach with an average record?
That’s precisely the point but there is a whole segment of the Oregon fan base that thinks JW walks on water. His name surfaced after CK left , after MH left, after WT left. Point is some think he is the great savior for Oregon football. There have been many threads on many message boards extolling his virtues. My perception is that he is an average coach. Maybe in due time I will be proven wrong.

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

To get back to the topic, we’ll cross the Wilcox bridge when and if we get there, I think Yates is a pretty good hire. 2003-2011 at Boise State as DB’s coach, 2012-13 as co-DC and DBs at Texas A&M, 2014-15 as Boise State’s DC and then 2016-19 as Arizona’s DC. He worked under Wilcox and Kwiatkowski at Boise State, came back as the DC under Harsin. A few more years with Sumlin at Arizona - not great results, but he inherited a defense allowing 38 PPG and then improved it to the end of his tenure to 32. But he’s here to coach DBs, so that’s more difficult to judge. A good amount of NFL drafted players from his position group at Boise.

As far as recruiting, looks like Yates can recruit. He got the 86th overall prospect in the country to go to Boise State, their highest ranked recruit by far. Some 4-stars from his time at Texas A&M. Rod Chance seems like a pretty good recruiter, getting Dickerson at the last minute, so hopefully Chance and Yates complement each other. Lots of good DBs in the West, but Dontae Williams wants them all.