Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Tyler Shough is transferring

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Honestly, I think this is best for him and for us. It's a bummer to see him go, but unless he improves immensely this offseason, he isn't the right guy to get us 10 wins a season.
100% agree. He will do very well at a UNLV or Colorado ST etc
Exactly.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I do this ostensibly odd thing with recruits where I go "how would I feel about this player if they went to uw?" So with a recruit we get, I challenge myself to think about whether I would think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread if he went to uw and not UofO, and that gives me a more honest take.

How would everyone feel if Shough announced he was transferring to uw?
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

StevensTechU wrote:I do this ostensibly odd thing with recruits where I go "how would I feel about this player if they went to uw?" So with a recruit we get, I challenge myself to think about whether I would think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread if he went to uw and not UofO, and that gives me a more honest take.

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

StevensTechU wrote:I do this ostensibly odd thing with recruits where I go "how would I feel about this player if they went to uw?" So with a recruit we get, I challenge myself to think about whether I would think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread if he went to uw and not UofO, and that gives me a more honest take.

I don't think this works because all our recruits are the best and UWs all suck. It's an apples/unripe cantaloupe comparison.

Just kidding. I really like this sanity check and will be doing it myself in the future.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I wish him well no matter where he goes except uw. I wonder if he follows Avalos to Boise ?
I hope he finds the right fit as he came here and worked his butt off. good luck to him
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

If he went to UW I would expect him to sit on the bench for the rest of his career behind Sam Huard. Even if Huard isn't amazing he has to start given his family history.

But let's say Huard doesn't go to Washington, I wouldn't care at all, I don't believe Shough is going to ever be a good college QB despite the potential he has.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:Not sure you can say how much he was holding up the offense when he had no spring practices and a limited fall camp to get acclimated to the offense. Plus, it's not like Brown showed much in the Fiesta Bowl in the 2nd half. It was probably the worst year to be changing offenses since everything was having to be done virtually and it sounds like only 50-75% of the offense actually got installed. Throw in a whole new OL with a rotating cast of RBs/WRs/TEs due to injuries/COVID and it was a recipe for struggles.
Meh, there's some truth in this. But he still doesn't read defense well and threw more balls to defenders than any other QB we've had in like 15 years.

Here's a fun stat. Only one starting Oregon QB since 2010 has throw more interceptions than Shough did this season. (Herbert 2018, he threw 8 interceptions but also 29 TDs and 404 attempts) and frankly, it could have easily been 12 interceptions the way Shough was throwing.

He also did this in 6.5 games vs 13/14 games for other starters. And as a starter, Shough throws interception every 27 attempts.

Not trying to bag on the guy, but he's a huge step down from what we've had at Oregon for last 20 years.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Not sure you can say how much he was holding up the offense when he had no spring practices and a limited fall camp to get acclimated to the offense. Plus, it's not like Brown showed much in the Fiesta Bowl in the 2nd half. It was probably the worst year to be changing offenses since everything was having to be done virtually and it sounds like only 50-75% of the offense actually got installed. Throw in a whole new OL with a rotating cast of RBs/WRs/TEs due to injuries/COVID and it was a recipe for struggles.
Meh, there's some truth in this. But he still doesn't read defense well and threw more balls to defenders than any other QB we've had in like 15 years.

Here's a fun stat. Only one QB since 2010 has throw more interceptions than Shough did this season. (Herbert 2018, he threw 8 interceptions but also 29 TDs and 404 attempts) and frankly, it could have easily been 12 interceptions the way he was throwing.

He also did this in 6.5 games vs 13/14 games for other starters. And as a starter, Shough throws interception every 27 attempts.

Not trying to bag on the guy, but he's a huge step down from what we've had at Oregon for last 20 years.
Truth
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Love the subtle, subliminal lower case uw, and the upper case UofO. Nicely done STU!

Good luck to Tyler moving forward. I will certainly keep a keen eye on him next year, wherever he ends up. Seems like a genuinely good dude. This now actually aligns perfectly for 2022, as it’s all Brown next year, but the fun will be hearing about the competition in the QB room for the following year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Not sure I'm comfortable with only 1 QB with any actual in-game experience. I know some people were ready to push Shough out as soon as he started struggling but I'm not sure it's a smart thing to be losing QBs like him.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

My usual thinking is that it’s better to have two experienced QBs than one, especially when one of them has had season ending knee injuries twice. I might have to make an exception, this is for the best for both parties. Roll with Brown or Butterfield or Thompson or Ashford and then one of the other ones if the starter gets hurt.

We’ve seen what Shough’s average is and he didn’t have what’s needed for a team with these types of goals. Props to Tyler on helping lead Oregon to another conference title, and best of luck wherever he ends up. He’s a bright young man with a great future ahead of him.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I have zero problem moving on to less experienced guys with higher upsides. Game minutes and practice reps that went to Shough and would have for possibly the next three years will now be spent on developing the future. The bottom line is that if you are a top program, quarterbacks are going to transfer, because they aren't like other positions that sub in all during the game. If they aren't starting, they don't play unless someone gets injured. If I had to pick two guys to lose off the depth chart, Millen and Shough were probably those guys. Time to see what the next men up can do.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Shough enters portal

Post by buckmarkduck »

bdkipe wrote:Looks like 95% of Duck fans got their wish. I don’t know how I feel about all the vitriol directed at kids of 18-22 & to be fair Tyler followed 3 years of St. Marcus, 1 of Big Play & 4 of the reigning NFL ROY. That’s following 8 years of pure excellence & his stats weren’t that bad considering a new OC and 0 ramp up due to a pandemic. I bet he lands at UNLV.

95%? You think a handful of idiots on social media represents 95%? More like 10%. I bet at least 75% of duck fans don’t even follow players on social media. And for Tyler’s sake, and there is a big percentage that won’t even know he’s gone for months. I hope he stays away from UNLV. He needs a good coach, not the crap Marcus does.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I'm guessing Mario told him he likely won't start next season. Despite how bad he looked, I know he has skill and potential, he'll be a solid college QB if he puts things together in his brain. Best of luck to him, I hope he finds success, unless he goes to Washington, Oregon State, or USC.
I think a better guess is that Mario told him he would compete with the other QBs for the starting job, rather than promising him that the job was his. That has been Mario's consistent message. Shough wanted to hear that the job was his.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

The track record is that guys that transfer out do about as well as we thought they would somewhere else (and I’m not sure I’d rather have anyone that transferred compared to who stayed in the same time...barring the weird every QB injured years)

I wish Tyler the best, will be rooting for him elsewhere, but next Duck up let’s see what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk