I am surprised there is not more buzz about the Yates hire

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: I am surprised there is not more buzz about the Yates hi

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I would characterize this as a solid hire, not a splashy hire. Splashy hires have excitement attached which creates message board buzz. Solid hires are IMHO better for the program long term.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I would characterize this as a solid hire, not a splashy hire. Splashy hires have excitement attached which creates message board buzz. Solid hires are IMHO better for the program long term.
Outside of Donte coming back, I can't really think of a safeties coach that would be considered a "splashy" hire.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If a safety coach is splashy, it’s not because of his coaching. If they are splashy, they would be a DC.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think scheme/coaching wise this is probably a slight upgrade over Heyward since Yates has a lot of DC experience as well.

As for recruiting, I'd give a slight edge to Heyward....but Heyward checked out on that a bit the last year or so
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Sounds like both new hires making less than the guys they replaced. Interesting.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Phalanx wrote:Sounds like both new hires making less than the guys they replaced. Interesting.
Yeah, I am not sure I like that. It would be nice to keep them around awhile, rather than have them move on to greener pastures.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

There is no sense in overpaying if you’re bidding against yourself.

Cristobal received a hefty raise, hopefully that didn’t lower the assistant salary pool. It sounds like the rest of the staff is being retained, which would mean some new contracts as some of them were expiring, and a few coaches were getting outside interest. Maybe they get raises. Oregon also has one of the biggest support staffs in the country. It would have been nice to get some big hire that turns heads but we got that with Moorhead, and Mario thinks DeRuyter is an improvement over Avalos.

Being on Mario’s staff is proving to be a wise career choice. His FIU hires have moved up to two P-5 HC jobs, at Oregon he’s lost two coordinators in two years to G-5 head coaching jobs, GAs and analysts get coaching positions, Rod Chance got the CB job at Minnesota and then back at Oregon. S&C staff getting opportunities to have their own program, even recruiting staff.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Mastro, Mirabal, Salave'a, and Bobby Williams have signed new deals, with over $400K in raises among them (Mirabal got the biggest raise.)
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Has Williams done well with special teams, tight ends, or recruiting to warrant a raise?
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

alxtw wrote:Has Williams done well with special teams, tight ends, or recruiting to warrant a raise?
Also, which school is coming after Mirabal to justify him going from 300s to the 600s? I know I wasn’t super impressed with the line this year.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
alxtw wrote:Has Williams done well with special teams, tight ends, or recruiting to warrant a raise?
Also, which school is coming after Mirabal to justify him going from 300s to the 600s? I know I wasn’t super impressed with the line this year.
Mirabal is Mario’s buddy, probably not going anywhere regardless of pay. No different than Azzinaro being with Chip wherever he goes. Loyalty pay.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Who cares? Recruits well. Develops talent well. Good person. Good for him
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

jimmy12 wrote:Who cares? Recruits well. Develops talent well. Good person. Good for him

+1000
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
You weren't? Given what the didn't return, I thought they were pretty darn good. My one gripe was the play of Steven Jones. That said, an individual's play is the product of his own work, and the line as a whole of Mirabal's, and I thought it was solid.