3) knows DeReuter's system
4) Was a DC
5) Decent recruiter.

Why so quiet? Do people feel otherwise?
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Re: I am surprised there is not more buzz about the Yates hi

Post by whosyourwally »

I think it’s just change fatigue... lost a good DC. Got a good DC. Lost a good recruiter. Got Yates.
Plus all of the other chaos around the program.

That said, I’m very excited about Yates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Also, time of year. It's February. Boards become quiet this time of year.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Fair enough. STU-- what's your opinion on him?
webfoots2001
Two Star Recruit

Post by webfoots2001 »

whosyourwally wrote:I think it’s just change fatigue... lost a good DC. Got a good DC. Lost a good recruiter. Got Yates.

I want to hear more about all the chaos around the program.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Not much of an opinion, really. Losing Hayward and Donte Williams really hurts our recruiting efforts where it matters most - west coast - and I genuinely have no idea how much Yates stacks up in that regard. From a development standpoint, I didn't find Hayward especially impressive, so I'm imagining this is, at worst, a net neutral transaction on that front.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

webfoots2001 wrote:
whosyourwally wrote:I think it’s just change fatigue... lost a good DC. Got a good DC. Lost a good recruiter. Got Yates.

Maybe “chaos” in this day and age is too strong a word, but in addition to the others items I listed, our starting QB just transferred out, so did one of our back ups, the recruiting visit ban was extended, our Mens and Women’s Bball teams can’t stay healthy and their schedule is in constant flux, and the P12 commish just resigned/was fired.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Right and to add to it, I really like our DC and DB coaches that we lost. So even if the new guys are good, there’s still transition overhears for players.

And I feel like anyone MC can and will hire at this point is gonna be really solid. But welcome Yates!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

whosyourwally wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:

Maybe “chaos” in this day and age is too strong a word, but in addition to the others items I listed, our starting QB just transferred out, so did one of our back ups, the recruiting visit ban was extended, our Mens and Women’s Bball teams can’t stay healthy and their schedule is in constant flux, and the P12 commish just resigned/was fired.

QBs leave at the drop of a hat now days. No more AJ Feelys staying around, even when an injury cost them the starting job. I figured either Shough or Brown would be leaving this off season. But I thought it would be after spring. So not a huge surprise.

Yates has a solid list of DB he’s coached up and got drafted. Heyward also had a solid list, but none of them where really developed. The only guy you could make an argument for based on recruiting ranking, is Marcus Peters. But he would have been a higher rated recruit, if not for his attitude.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

buckmarkduck wrote:
whosyourwally wrote:
webfoots2001 wrote:

QBs leave at the drop of a hat now days. No more AJ Feelys staying around, even when an injury cost them the starting job. I figured either Shough or Brown would be leaving this off season. But I thought it would be after spring. So not a huge surprise.

Yates has a solid list of DB he’s coached up and got drafted. Heyward also had a solid list, but none of them where really developed. The only guy you could make an argument for based on recruiting ranking, is Marcus Peters. But he would have been a higher rated recruit, if not for his attitude.
I get more excited about a position coach who can develop players than one that can recruit. Outside of top QB’s, I just don’t believe there’s that much difference between the #25 player and the #250 player.
I realize recruiting the #250 recruit to Oregon is still a novelty so I say all of this within the context of Oregon football of the last 5-10 years.

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

I like the Yates hire. I was expecting an unknown G-5 assistant, an up-and-comer instead of an established coach. I’m excited, it’s just that time of year where there is not much football news and a long wait for more.

He has the experience and the DBs are his specialty. We know Mario wouldn’t hire someone he doesn’t trust, and DeRuyter liked Yates enough to want to work with him again. At Boise he was Avalos’ predecessor, had two stints there, and two stints with Kevin Sumlin. That’s a good sign, he’s been wanted back by his colleagues.

Curious to see how recruiting will go. Texas A&M was the only job he had at a destination equal to Oregon and Yates looks like he got some good recruits there. Yates is from the LA area, and has also recruited in Texas for all his stops. We haven’t done much in Texas lately, compared to the Chip era.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

GoDucksTroll wrote:I like the Yates hire. I was expecting an unknown G-5 assistant, an up-and-comer instead of an established coach. I’m excited, it’s just that time of year where there is not much football news and a long wait for more.

He has the experience and the DBs are his specialty. We know Mario wouldn’t hire someone he doesn’t trust, and DeRuyter liked Yates enough to want to work with him again. At Boise he was Avalos’ predecessor, had two stints there, and two stints with Kevin Sumlin. That’s a good sign, he’s been wanted back by his colleagues.

Curious to see how recruiting will go. Texas A&M was the only job he had at a destination equal to Oregon and Yates looks like he got some good recruits there. Yates is from the LA area, and has also recruited in Texas for all his stops. We haven’t done much in Texas lately, compared to the Chip era.
Hopefully he can neutralize Sark’s proclaimed attack on west coast recruits in some manner. Hate negative recruiting, but there are some doozies on UTube of that moron.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like he's acknowledging it on Twitter even though it's not official yet.

https://twitter.com/CoachYates77
jsfduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by jsfduck »

Maybe this has been said or posted before, but the one thing I like about the coaching hires is the experience that MC is bringing in. I think it is (for lack of a better term) more mature and battle tested. Could there be better hires? maybe, but overall they seem pretty solid.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

And we just got a commit from a safety from Texas that was predicted on all crystal balls to go to Texas. Nice job.