Bored question...fastest duck players

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Bored question...fastest duck players

Post by rsbgduck »

I don’t know what his times were (not sure where to go for a source) but someone who always seemed “fast” to me was WT3. Like some have said I think he was more quick and smooth vs fast. I’m a little bias, he is one of my favorites and if he wouldn’t of blown his knee I think we would be talking about him more often when mentioning the greats at Oregon.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

rsbgduck wrote:I don’t know what his times were (not sure where to go for a source) but someone who always seemed “fast” to me was WT3. Like some have said I think he was more quick and smooth vs fast. I’m a little bias, he is one of my favorites and if he wouldn’t of blown his knee I think we would be talking about him more often when mentioning the greats at Oregon.
Unfortunately WT3 had that knee injury that ended his final Oregon season, kept him out of the combine, and hurt his draft stock. But I agree, he would probably be in the 4.4-4.5s range. Super underrated (or semi forgotten) player by a lot of Duck fans. 253 career tackles 181 of them solo, 12 INTs, 4 defensive TD, 1 return TD. His sophomore season he finished second in the conference at tackles with 5 INTs. If he had come along now, when CBs have become more valuable with the rise of spread passing offenses, he would have been much more appreciated.

For data I use nflcombineresults.com and pro football reference. Fun things to look at when bored. Some other notable Ducks in the 40:
4.47 Alex Molden
4.48 Jonathan Stewart at 235lbs
4.48 Onterrio Smith at 220lbs
4.49 Pat Chung
4.50 Justin Hollins at 6’5.25” 248lbs (!!!)
4.51 Ugo Amadi
4.52 Marcus Mariota
4.52 Mo Morris
4.52 Kenjon Barner
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:GDT- Huge kudos for that post.
Thanks! In the last year I did a deep dive into 40 times and seeing how they correlate (or not) to success, minimum needed times to be successful, etc. It’s far from a perfect measure but it has value and doesn’t deserve the abuse it gets from some people as just being a show off event.

I remember Hannah Cunliffe saying she could run the 40 faster than any Oregon football player and there was this awful article about how it’s true, using her indoor 60 time to say she would run a 4.41: https://www.milesplit.com/articles/2103 ... -in-the-40

Forgetting that her PR was 7.12 seconds at sea level and Oregon’s football team had Tony Brooks-James with a 6.71 PR and his fastest friendly hand time was 4.45 at pro day. Translating track times, out of blocks in spikes, to 40s at the combine isn’t a simple math equation. Christian Coleman supposedly ran 4.12 electronic timed, on turf. But he’s also the world record holder in the 60m and is now suspended for doping.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

The 2009 team had Derrick Jones (10.46 in High School), Jamere Holland (10.36 in High School), Johnathan Stewart and DBs WT3 and Pat Chung.

That team would be a contender in the all time team 4x100.

But I'd put my bag money on 2013, by far the deepest, with Tyner, Allen, Dat, Barner or Lowe or Marshall or BJ Kelley. Serious Track (and Football) speed on that team.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

StevensTechU wrote:GDT- Huge kudos for that post.
Seconded. Interesting stuff. The Maehl stuff was enlightening.
rsbgduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by rsbgduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:
rsbgduck wrote:I don’t know what his times were (not sure where to go for a source) but someone who always seemed “fast” to me was WT3. Like some have said I think he was more quick and smooth vs fast. I’m a little bias, he is one of my favorites and if he wouldn’t of blown his knee I think we would be talking about him more often when mentioning the greats at Oregon.
Unfortunately WT3 had that knee injury that ended his final Oregon season, kept him out of the combine, and hurt his draft stock. But I agree, he would probably be in the 4.4-4.5s range. Super underrated (or semi forgotten) player by a lot of Duck fans. 253 career tackles 181 of them solo, 12 INTs, 4 defensive TD, 1 return TD. His sophomore season he finished second in the conference at tackles with 5 INTs. If he had come along now, when CBs have become more valuable with the rise of spread passing offenses, he would have been much more appreciated.

For data I use nflcombineresults.com and pro football reference. Fun things to look at when bored. Some other notable Ducks in the 40:
4.47 Alex Molden
4.48 Jonathan Stewart at 235lbs
4.48 Onterrio Smith at 220lbs
4.49 Pat Chung
4.50 Justin Hollins at 6’5.25” 248lbs (!!!)
4.51 Ugo Amadi
4.52 Marcus Mariota
4.52 Mo Morris
4.52 Kenjon Barner
Thank you and I’ll take a look at that site and save it.
UofDuck
Senior

Bored question...fastest duck players

Post by UofDuck »

Micah (sp?) Williams. Williams set the school record in the 60 meters this year with his victory in 6.56 — the No. 1 time in the NCAA and No. 2 time in the world this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Fastest is of course open to interpretation. Here are some official numbers and notes, using only official school records and NFL combine/official to the NFL numbers. 40 times from other events are just too inaccurate usually to make players seem faster.

40 yard dash (official NFL combine numbers)
4.35 LaMichael James
4.39 Samie Parker
4.42 Pat Johnson
4.43 Anthony Newman
4.45 JJ Birden
4.45 Latin Berry
4.46 Keanon Lowe
4.46 Dillon Mitchell

50m
5.80 Pat Johnson

60m
6.62 Samie Parker
6.71 Tony Brooks-James
6.77 Derrick Jones
6.77 LaMichael James
6.77 Kirk Merritt

100m
10.18 Samie Parker
10.26 Pat Johnson
10.35 Thomas Tyner (HS)
10.36 Devon Allen (in a meet for U of O)

200m
20.39 Pat Johnson
20.79 Devon Allen
20.82 Jordan Kent

110m HH
13.16 Devon Allen

400m
45.26 Pat Johnson

Notes:
* Samie Parker was an All-American sprinter. At the NCAA championships he finished 5th in the100m and 4th in the indoor 60m.
* Pat Johnson won the Pac-10 championship in the 400m as a freshman and placed second in the 200m. He quit track afterwards, according to his (almost certainly self written) Wikipedia page) for failing to make the Olympic team.
* Thomas Tyner’s 10.35 as a high school sophomore was the second fastest non wind aided by a high schooler that year, and the only non senior in the top-20. It broke the previous Oregon high school record by .07 previously held by Ryan Bailey who would finish 5th in the 100m in the 2012 Olympics. The Oregon HS record has since been shattered by current Oregon T&F freshman phenom Micah Williams, who ran an amazing 10.21. If Thomas Tyner had wanted to be a professional athlete he would be one right now.
* Jeff Maehl’s 6.42 seconds in the 3-cone drill was an NFL combine record from 2011 until recently. It’s a measure of acceleration and agility, not as valued for skill players but shows that the 40 is not all there is to measuring athleticism. Maehl’s 40 time of 4.56 seconds is in the bottom 48% of WR at the combine but his 3-cone, shuttle drill, and 60 TD shuttle were all in the top 2%.
* If anyone is curious De’Anthony Thomas had a bests of 10.57 in the 100m and 10.61. When he ran a 4.50 at the combine (4.39 at pro day) this is what Gary Campbell said: “I think when LaMichael (James) was here he had a faster 40-yard time on paper but this guy plays faster than anything you put him on the clock on. He's the fastest player on the football field that I've had.”
* The Opening does 40 yard testing with wildly low numbers, accurate to compare players head to head but not in actual times because they never replicate them. Taj Griffin clocked in as one of the fastest they tested at 4.33 seconds.
* Oregon football measures max speed in MPH as the basis for how fast a guy is. One of the players posted results the other year, Haki Woods was tops at 22.33 followed by TBJ: https://www.reddit.com/r/ducks/comments ... sting_mph/
https://247sports.com/player/tacoi-sumler-703/

Didn't he run a sub 4.3 laser timed? (I checked 4.24)
OrTDuck
Two Star Recruit

Post by OrTDuck »

A few more names that pop into mind.

Dior Mathis ran 10.49 at the Pac-12 Championships in 2012 and a 6.79 60 at the MPSF in 2013, Charles Nelson (if I'm remembering correctly) was ranked top 3 nationally as a HS sprinter as a sophomore before an ACL injury (best time I can find was a 10.58), Tacoi Sumler is listed running 4.24 (at a 2010 Nike Camp) and a 10.49 listed (in at least one place) as the fasted national HS 100m time in 2010.

Some off topic other randoms: Latin Berry still listed as #1 all-time in the long jump and #2 all time in the triple jump, JJ Burden #9 long jump, Muhammad Oliver #3 all-time with 8,087 decathalon points and #9 all-time in the high jump, Brandon Tett bench pressed 562 pounds at the USPF NW Power lifting Championships the February before his one season at Oregon. Pat Johnson of course famously once beat Carl Lewis in a 100m race at the Drake Relays.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

*vigorously jotting down notes*

"football players who are fast are generally better than football players who are not fast...."
BlackbirdDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by BlackbirdDuck »

Don Coleman - 10.11 100 meters 20.39 200 meters

I think Don Coleman spent some time in the NFL with the Broncos, his senior year at Oregon Don average over 16 yards per catch.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Tyner was also about 25lbs lighter when he ran that speed. At UO, I don’t believe he could have been even close to that 100 time.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

buckmarkduck wrote:Tyner was also about 25lbs lighter when he ran that speed. At UO, I don’t believe he could have been even close to that 100 time.
If I didn't know the lore of Tyner, I would have never believed he was a sprinter in high school. He just looked so.....average in college. Average is probably being generous.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
duck023
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck023 »

It's between Lamichael James and DeAnthony Thomas. I'd lean towards James. Samie Parker and Keenan Lowe were also insanely fast.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duck023 wrote:It's between Lamichael James and DeAnthony Thomas. I'd lean towards James. Samie Parker and Keenan Lowe were also insanely fast.

Parker and and Patrick Johnson would walk away from anyone else in a race.

Johnson 10.26 100 and pac 10 champ in the 400.