Bored question...fastest duck players

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan96
Senior

Bored question...fastest duck players

Post by duckfan96 »

Pat Johnson, Samie and DaT. Who else is on that list? Philyaw? Whittle?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Bored question...fastest duck players

Post by StevensTechU »

Verified times? Parker followed by Tyner.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Verified times? Parker followed by Tyner.
Tyner ran 10.35 in high school. Devon Allen has run 10.28 in a just fooling around meet, as he is a hurdler not normally a sprinter.

Pat Johnson ran a 10.26 as a member of the Oregon track team, He was more a middle distance sprinter (200 - 400M) though.

One thing about football speed and track speed is while Allen and Johnson were very fast at any distance both of them accelerate towards the last part of a 100 meters as that is a short race for them.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

DAT's acceleration made him look like lightning. His straight-line sprint time wasn't elite but his speed was still special.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Surprise people forgot about Jordan Kent.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Tray Dub wrote:DAT's acceleration made him look like lightning. His straight-line sprint time wasn't elite but his speed was still special.
He just looked faster than everyone else, more so than the other names listed so far.

There is a difference in pads. No doubt Jordan Kent was fast, but in pads he looked a little clunky. DAT runs smooth like butter.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:Surprise people forgot about Jordan Kent.
That's a great point.

Also, on Tyner, he ran 10.35 as a high school sophomore. There are guys who ran faster track times, but those are largely college and professional times. Who knows what Tyner would have timed at if he kept running. In hindsight, that might've been his best shot at being a pro.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

DAT ran so smooth, there was no extra movement when he ran. I remember that run against the Cougs when he turned their DB around in circles. My girlfriend said she had never seen anything like that. So smooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

When people ask what I liked about DAT, that is the video I show them.

I LMAO!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

What set DAT apart, is he didn't lose any speed when making moves. He has probably the best hips I've ever seen in that regard.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Forgot Devon allen. In pads, the players I’ve seen, I always thought johnson and Parker were the fastest. Just my opinion of course.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Derrick Jones
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Fastest is of course open to interpretation. Here are some official numbers and notes, using only official school records and NFL combine/official to the NFL numbers. 40 times from other events are just too inaccurate usually to make players seem faster.

40 yard dash (official NFL combine numbers)
4.35 LaMichael James
4.39 Samie Parker
4.42 Pat Johnson
4.43 Anthony Newman
4.45 JJ Birden
4.45 Latin Berry
4.46 Keanon Lowe
4.46 Dillon Mitchell

50m
5.80 Pat Johnson

60m
6.62 Samie Parker
6.71 Tony Brooks-James
6.77 Derrick Jones
6.77 LaMichael James
6.77 Kirk Merritt

100m
10.18 Samie Parker
10.26 Pat Johnson
10.35 Thomas Tyner (HS)
10.36 Devon Allen (in a meet for U of O)

200m
20.39 Pat Johnson
20.79 Devon Allen
20.82 Jordan Kent

110m HH
13.16 Devon Allen

400m
45.26 Pat Johnson

Notes:
* Samie Parker was an All-American sprinter. At the NCAA championships he finished 5th in the100m and 4th in the indoor 60m.
* Pat Johnson won the Pac-10 championship in the 400m as a freshman and placed second in the 200m. He quit track afterwards, according to his (almost certainly self written) Wikipedia page) for failing to make the Olympic team.
* Thomas Tyner’s 10.35 as a high school sophomore was the second fastest non wind aided by a high schooler that year, and the only non senior in the top-20. It broke the previous Oregon high school record by .07 previously held by Ryan Bailey who would finish 5th in the 100m in the 2012 Olympics. The Oregon HS record has since been shattered by current Oregon T&F freshman phenom Micah Williams, who ran an amazing 10.21. If Thomas Tyner had wanted to be a professional athlete he would be one right now.
* Jeff Maehl’s 6.42 seconds in the 3-cone drill was an NFL combine record from 2011 until recently. It’s a measure of acceleration and agility, not as valued for skill players but shows that the 40 is not all there is to measuring athleticism. Maehl’s 40 time of 4.56 seconds is in the bottom 48% of WR at the combine but his 3-cone, shuttle drill, and 60 TD shuttle were all in the top 2%.
* If anyone is curious De’Anthony Thomas had a bests of 10.57 in the 100m and 10.61. When he ran a 4.50 at the combine (4.39 at pro day) this is what Gary Campbell said: “I think when LaMichael (James) was here he had a faster 40-yard time on paper but this guy plays faster than anything you put him on the clock on. He's the fastest player on the football field that I've had.”
* The Opening does 40 yard testing with wildly low numbers, accurate to compare players head to head but not in actual times because they never replicate them. Taj Griffin clocked in as one of the fastest they tested at 4.33 seconds.
* Oregon football measures max speed in MPH as the basis for how fast a guy is. One of the players posted results the other year, Haki Woods was tops at 22.33 followed by TBJ: https://www.reddit.com/r/ducks/comments ... sting_mph/
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Blast from the past Mel Renfro. Was part of Duck relay team that set World record in 4X100 yd dash in 62,
Last edited by Bighonkingduck on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GDT- Huge kudos for that post.