QB experience

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

QB experience

Post by Alan »

Do the Ducks have any QB’s other than Brown who have taken live game snaps? Including JC transfers?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: QB experience

Post by StevensTechU »

Negative.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Maybe we can just have Noah Sewell run out of the wildcat.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

What are the odds of TT beating out AB?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

pezsez1 wrote:What are the odds of TT beating out AB?
yes
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

jimmy12 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:What are the odds of TT beating out AB?
yes
Whether he beats him out or not, I'd really like to see both him and/or Butterfield get some playing time this season. I'm not sure how much our schedule will allow it, but playing time is huge.

Based on their 2021 schedule it's tough to gauge where they might get it, though. That is, with the exception of Stoney Brook.

https://fbschedules.com/oregon-football-schedule/
John 3:36
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Maybe in the middle of a season. I can't recall a single FBS team that's made it to a NY6 bowl game when they started game 1 with a true freshmen. Not saying it can't be done, but it's probably rare for a reason. This team still has work to do but I think a conference title/NY6 game is definitely doable. Not taking anything for granted though.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

ducks5ever wrote:Maybe in the middle of a season. I can't recall a single FBS team that's made it to a NY6 bowl game when they started game 1 with a true freshmen. Not saying it can't be done, but it's probably rare for a reason. This team still has work to do but I think a conference title/NY6 game is definitely doable. Not taking anything for granted though.
You don’t have to go too far back to find a team with a true freshman QB making it to the NY6.
It’s very possible to get to the playoff with a true freshman QB. Here are some that did:
2016 Alabama with Jalen Hurts
2017 Georgia with Jake Fromm (tiny asterisk as Jacob Eason was the opening game starter who was injured in the first quarter of that game)
2018 Clemson with Trevor Lawrence
Those are some long odds, as having a returning starter at QB is one of the big statistical factors for success. All of those teams were also stacked with experienced talent.

You start the QB that gives you the best chance of winning, sometimes it’s a freshman. Experience really helps but talent is king.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Lawrence didn't start until mid season, and as you said, neither did Fromm.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

StevensTechU wrote:Lawrence didn't start until mid season, and as you said, neither did Fromm.
Between the two of them they started 25 games their freshmen seasons and led their team to the championship game. I was responding to someone who was having a difficult time recalling a true freshman quarterbacking a team to an NY6, while we’ve seen a true freshman QB start in three of the last five championship games.

Fromm took over in the first quarter of the first game when Eason got hurt, and although Eason played that season Fromm never relinquished the job.
Lawrence and Kelly Bryant split time from the very beginning and I think by the fourth game Lawrence was the exclusive QB, and Bryant decided to transfer.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think Eason/Fromm is appropriate, generally, because they were both freshmen, so what's really the difference (one started day 1, the other wasn't crap).

I think the Lawrence story is important because it shows that even a mega-talented true freshman usually doesn't unseat an experienced upperclassman on day 1, which is being discussed a lot on this forum. Despite Kelly Bryant winning the job, Clemson's coaching staff took a very intentional approach to grooming him so that he'd be ready later in the season. It illustrates how uncommon it is for a true freshman qb to be 'the guy' as soon as they step on the practice field, as Lawrence needed to be brought on in a very meticulous manner so that he was ready later in the year.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Thanks guys, Jalen Hurts was the guy I missed on. Lawrence played selectively early in the season but didn't start until the middle of the season as STU mentioned. It's probably also fair to say that Fromm wouldn't have started until later in the season (if at all) if Eason didn't get injured.

STU's comment on Lawrence was exactly what I was implying. Tua was more talented than Hurts too and he didn't play until late in the season too.