Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Anything that wont fit in any of the other forums

Moderators: greenyellow, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Autzen Stadium: Fans allowed in this year?

Post by Tray Dub »

People who worry about hypothetical long-term effects of the vaccine more than the repeatedly documented long-term effects of the disease are making a mistake IMO. Not calling anyone brain-washed, just that you're doing the cost-benefit calculus wrong.

Either way, I'm glad the end is in sight and I'm excited to watch football with everyone again.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

People who worry about hypothetical long-term effects of the vaccine more than the repeatedly documented long-term effects of the disease are making a mistake IMO. Not calling anyone brain-washed, just that you're doing the cost-benefit calculus wrong.
So much this.

I know many people who've been vaccinated. Other than temporary arm rashes, all have been completely fine.

I also know many people who've had COVID (myself included) and their symptoms ranged from unnoticeable to scary to possibly permanent. I have friends my age (early 40s) who suffer from severe long-hauler symptoms nearly a year after getting infected. It's sad. That's great that most who get COVID are fortunate enough to skate through it, but the odds of life-changing complications are so much greater than any vaccine consequence.

I'm excited to get back in Autzen Stadium for a game, but there's no way I'll go back if we haven't achieved herd immunity. Many Oregonians will be in the same boat, and that could have real economic consequences for the athletic department and the football program. I think that's the real question, not simply whether fans will be allowed in.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

StevensTechU wrote:I apologize for nothing. I will continue to exercise my choice to use whatever factually correct language I'd like and won't worry about people making long, whiney posts.
+100

I’m 65 and got the 2nd dose 4 weeks ago.....No issues and didn’t expect any after seeing large/high efficacy in several studies. I sold flu, polio and several other vaccines and these products have high % of safety and coverage. Four months ago I wasn’t so sure.

>512k reasons to consider getting it but no use trying to convince someone that isn’t into getting basic coverage. I’ll be at Buckeye stadium this fall for UO-OSU.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
So much this.

I know many people who've been vaccinated. Other than temporary arm rashes, all have been completely fine.
That probably won't reassure people concerned with long-term issues.

Anyway, it would be cool if fans are allowed, but I don't really care too much at this point. Watching at home saves money.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Nobody should be frightened by a rash that lasts a few days, especially after reading the rest of my post. Anyone concerned with long-term health complications should be far more frightened by COVID and debilitating long-hauler symptoms. It's highly illogical to be more scared of the vaccine.

I will say this, though -- I'm incredibly excited about hosting game day BBQs with vaccinated friends and family and no freaking masks! But even that will be dependent on whether vaccines reduce transmission and/or whether we've reached herd immunity. I've got a baby to worry about and vaccines likely won't be approved for babies/toddlers by the fall.

I'm doing my best to be nice here, but honestly, I have a lot of resentment toward people who are resistant to being part of the solution. We should be dunking all over COVID starting now and yet I still don't have faith that we'll collectively choose to do it. It's pretty maddening.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

woundedknees wrote:Being old and infirm (Tongue firmly in cheek) I already had it (February), according to my doc, as did all the adults in my household (Back in February, 2020).

Since nobody has tested me other than to see if I am actively infected, prior to other medical procedures (You don't wanna know! ;) ).

None of us will be getting the vaccine.

We'll let you know what hits the fan!
I'm curious. Has anybody heard of someone getting covid-19 a second time? In this particular case you had it over a year ago. A typical flu can be caught again within that time frame, right?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Nobody should be frightened by a rash that lasts a few days, especially after reading the rest of my post. Anyone concerned with long-term health complications should be far more frightened by COVID and debilitating long-hauler symptoms. It's highly illogical to be more scared of the vaccine.
I meant seeing reactions only months afterwards is no sign of long-term effects. Issues can remain dormant for years.

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I meant seeing reactions only months afterwards is no sign of long-term effects. Issues can remain dormant for years.
Again, though, the documented long-term consequences of COVID should be far more frightening than any hypothetical (and highly unlikely) long-term consequences of getting vaccinated. That this isn't our shared reality highlights the damage of media bubbles that insulate massive audiences from critical information and perspectives.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Again, though, the documented long-term consequences of COVID should be far more frightening than any hypothetical (and highly unlikely) long-term consequences of getting vaccinated.
I'll roll with my immune system for this one.

Go Ducks!

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'll roll with my immune system for this one.
Your immune system will likely not be able to keep up with numerous variants of COVID that will move through the population in coming years if we don't achieve real herd immunity. Vaccines designed to guard against a massive range of variants will.

In fact, even people who are vaccinated will probably need annual boosters or updated shots to prevent COVID from ravaging us again in the not-too-distant future.

But whatever. I'll care much less about what other people do once everyone in my family (son included) is protected from contamination.

Go Ducks.
Last edited by pezsez1 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

I worked for 12 years in a semiconductor micro-contamination lab, performing ISO-17025 accredited analyses down to parts per quadrillion in some cases. Tests needed to be proven as accurate and repeatable, among other variables, otherwise the data wasn't reliable. The COVID test results have been offensively laughable, but not funny given the data has been used to crush the economy let alone the physical and mental health of the populous.

Telling me the cases are X yet like magic the flu is essentially no longer existent has a real "piss on my head and tell me it's raining" vibe to it. Oh and then revisions and corrections are oft made with little media coverage, so the hype machine rolls on while the CDC adjust the findings silently. Meanwhile the 2020 death toll in a "pandemic year" looked strangely similar to that of other years. In a previous thread I already shared my family's experience with what was most certainly COVID before any sort of testing was done. This is a strain of SARS; not fun and possibly dangerous to the vulnerable, but the survival rate is so incredibly high that a vaccination requirement is beyond silly.

That brings us to the vaccine. This is really more of an experimental vaccine. How are you trying to force people to get it while Fauci and others keep saying things like it may still require a mask, you still may be able to get and spread it (this has changed multiple times), and vaccinated grandparents still probably shouldn't see their loved ones. Oh and the vaccine has mRna nanotechnology in it which possibly threatens capability to rewire your genetic code. Yeah sorry if I am not jumping headfirst into the vaccine, the long term effects are not only unknown but potentially catastrophic. Maybe it all ends up fine but understand that some may not be eager to get in line to find out. There are other things but one issue that's not talked about much is the sterility factor, but my post is already too long so I'll leave it at this.

Bottom line is this: get the vaccine, don't get the vaccine. You should be free to choose just like we have had with the flu shot every year, that's the beauty of individual freedom. If your vaccine works then you shouldn't worry if I don't get a jab. Let's play some damn football!
rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Maybe you can elaborate what long term effects/issues lay dormant from any vaccine for years. Any white papers that document that? Polio and DPT had rare issues that tied into immune issues. If I was pezsez the reason to get the vaccine is laying on his shoulder.
Last edited by rentdodger on Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Maybe you can elaborate what long term effects/issues lay dormant from any vaccine for years. Any white papers that document that? Polio and DPT had rare issues that tied into immune issues. If I was pezsez the reason to get the vaccine is laying on his right shoulder.
Right now, he's laying against my right leg. :D
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

rentdodger wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Maybe you can elaborate what long term effects/issues lay dormant from any vaccine for years. Any white papers that document that? Polio and DPT had rare issues that tied into immune issues. If I was pezsez the reason to get the vaccine is laying on his shoulder.
Common sense. But I googled an example where vaccine was licensed and distributed only to be recalled.

"The first vaccine for rotavirus, a common cause of severe childhood diarrheal illness, RotaShield, was licensed and recommended for routine childhood immunization in 1998. Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, however, withdrew the vaccine in 1999 due to safety concerns. Scientists associated the vaccine with a rare intestinal problem called intussusception, a potentially fatal telescoping of part of the bowel."

rentdodger
One Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
rentdodger wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

Common sense. But I googled an example where vaccine was licensed and distributed only to be recalled.

"The first vaccine for rotavirus, a common cause of severe childhood diarrheal illness, RotaShield, was licensed and recommended for routine childhood immunization in 1998. Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, however, withdrew the vaccine in 1999 due to safety concerns. Scientists associated the vaccine with a rare intestinal problem called intussusception, a potentially fatal telescoping of part of the bowel."
Not a great comparison.

This target specific vaccine was marketed after my time so I don’t have a lot of familiarity with it. Rotavirus vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine. The coronavirus vaccine is not(mRNA). 15 adverse cases in trials? Got it suspended. That could be a result of various factors including non-published formulation issues. Also childhood enteritis is not a full systemic issue. This vaccine is currently on the market and side effects are pretty mild considering what it treats.

Personally, I take the view of its your life do what you want but come with some facts dealing with the coronavirus vaccine.

In my common sense world I don’t believe the following:

-Some guy named Jonah didn’t live 3 days inside a whale
-Rattlesnake handling does not belong inside a church
-Lizard people do not hold high positions in our society
-Chip Kelly never was coming back to Oregon

I have put it in my will that if I kick off from coronavirus vaccine side effects, one of my heirs will come to this board and inform the”I told you so crowd”.