2021 Spring Practices (April 1-May 1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: 2021 Spring Practices (April 1-May 1)

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I understand, but it's not musculature that results in tight coverage and heads up plays. Looking the part doesn't fit gaps and catch interceptions.

Wait, so you’re saying you need to be skilled to play D1 football? Who knew.
A real downer because we got some guys (and gals, for that sake) on the track and field team that put up some impressive numbers....
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Logan S sounds like he's making some big strides.

Enjoying the thought of a future line that goes something like
LT-Kingsley
LG- Steven Jones
C-Jackson Powers
RG-Logan S
RT-Bram Walden
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I understand, but it's not musculature that results in tight coverage and heads up plays. Looking the part doesn't fit gaps and catch interceptions.

Wait, so you’re saying you need to be skilled to play D1 football? Who knew.
A real downer because we got some guys (and gals, for that sake) on the track and field team that put up some impressive numbers....

That’s why I always laugh when people obsesse over track speed with recruits. One isn’t the same as football speed. I saw some duck fans going crazy about Kevin Coleman’s 100m from when he was a Fr. To me I couldn’t care less what a kid runs in track, to many variables. He might not have any idea of how to start, he might have a bad coach ect. Track speed is just like running routes or catching a ball, you have to practice it a lot, and good coaching helps. If he was slow on the football field, he wouldn’t be the #2 ranked WR in America.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This seems like it may pertain to Oregon as they do a version of the Oklahoma drill in practices:
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

There’s no substitute for live hitting to get better or more comfortable, in my opinion.

But I understand that this is the right decision with the synergetic effect concussions have.

As far as Ducks, I liked Bassa as a prospect. That build with that speed is not a common combo for a kid who should be in high school now.

I didn’t know Ferguson was making that good of an impression, when it was possible Moliki would flip I felt Ferguson was the better prospect anyway. He’s physical and Cristobal loves that. Curious what’s up with DJ Johnson, I haven’t been paying attention much.

Suava Poti getting some good pub, I had figured he was a bust. I’d love to be wrong. Interesting to see that Mase Funa and Jake Shipley are playing the same position. We’ve seen guys explode in a new defense, like Breeze with Avalos.

Sagapolu got praise in fall camp as well. It would be nice to have an interior mauler after last years guys were more finesse. It would give me a lot of confidence in the OL if Kingsley and another new guy got in the starting lineup, because last years line was already okay to begin with.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

The amount of times the actual Oklahoma Drill happens in a game is really low. It's a brutal drill and I'm glad its being replaced.

Brains are important.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

New contracts for the assistants, with raises and extensions. We knew about some of them previously, but Moorhead’s raise and extension is new. Oregon’s assistant salary pool is now 13th in the country at over $6 million.

Link: https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/0 ... ssion=true
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I love hearing about Bridges and Crocker jumping up into the mix, especially after all the whining I did about missing out on Puka because guys like Crocker were on the roster. Hope he keeps proving the doubters wrong and the development translates into productivity in games. Bridges also has been dogged here and elsewhere, and listening to Coach Chance talking about using him for fade routes and against bigger receivers sounds like he actually will have a significant role on the team this year. Great news from a unit that looked pretty thin and short on experience coming in.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Phalanx wrote:I love hearing about Bridges and Crocker jumping up into the mix, especially after all the whining I did about missing out on Puka because guys like Crocker were on the roster. Hope he keeps proving the doubters wrong and the development translates into productivity in games. Bridges also has been dogged here and elsewhere, and listening to Coach Chance talking about using him for fade routes and against bigger receivers sounds like he actually will have a significant role on the team this year. Great news from a unit that looked pretty thin and short on experience coming in.

If we had more spots in our counter (25 a year) I think we would have pursued Puka. We only have 1 spot left in this cycle though and we're clearly saving it for the potential of JTT