2021 Spring Practices (April 1-May 1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: 2021 Spring Practices (April 1-May 1)

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
What have you done to pezsec? ;)
I've believed from early on that sports leagues are uniquely positioned to show how responsibility and entertainment can coexist. And, for the most part, they have. For our leadership to ignore the resounding success (and safety) of sports actually infuriates me. We should be celebrating and embracing success (and learning from it) at every opportunity, not obfuscating progress with ham-handed restrictions.

I'm really looking forward to crowds at Autzen this fall. Even if I'm not at any games, I'm just excited to watch crowds on TV. Sad that it isn't happening for the spring game.
Agreed, would be nice to see some fans!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

pezsez1 wrote:
What have you done to pezsec? ;)
I've believed from early on that sports leagues are uniquely positioned to show how responsibility and entertainment can coexist. And, for the most part, they have. For our leadership to ignore the resounding success (and safety) of sports actually infuriates me. We should be celebrating and embracing success (and learning from it) at every opportunity, not obfuscating progress with ham-handed restrictions.

I'm really looking forward to crowds at Autzen this fall. Even if I'm not at any games, I'm just excited to watch crowds on TV. Sad that it isn't happening for the spring game.
I really respect this mindset. I would say politically our “teams” are different. For so many of my friends that are left leaning they would say things like “I hope all those folks in Texas f-ing die”. That’s so baffling.

Pdx, your mindset is so refreshing. We should be rooting for the states that are open to see success and a roadmap of returning to normalcy.
We should not be rooting for death just to be able to say “ ha i told you so.”
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Funny that in Ohio 50k people are fine outside, some close to stage look shoulder to shoulder. But in Oregon we can’t be allowed to have 4 seats in between us to watch a game on a sunny day?
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Funny that I’m Phio 50k people are fine outside, some close to stage look shoulder to shoulder. But in Oregon we can’t be allowed to have 4 seats in between us to watch a game on a sunny day?
There are certain events in the last 12 months where congregating by the thousands was not only allowed, but praised.

# Covid logic
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Saw this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/popoaumavae/status/ ... 13890?s=21

Popo looks to be trim. He got up to 350 at one point but the last two years he’s really gotten in great shape. I think he’s been more of a force than Fat Mac had been for the last two years and is one of the changes I’m looking forward to.

Look at Mase Funa. He looks to be in better shape than last year and he’s huge. Listed as 6’3” 260 but he looks even bigger than that. Funa got better as the season went on, but he was just painful to watch early on. Hoping he takes that big leap to stardom.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Not worried about Popo. Very worried about Dorlus/Williams/KWH against the run. Haven't seen them hold the point of attack well at all.

Funa..pandemic, new baby...and he played poorly....but I did think he played better in the 2nd half of the season and he looks to be in great shape now.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GrantDuck wrote:Not worried about Popo. Very worried about Dorlus/Williams/KWH against the run. Haven't seen them hold the point of attack well at all.

Funa..pandemic, new baby...and he played poorly....but I did think he played better in the 2nd half of the season and he looks to be in great shape now.

Worried about Dorlus? Dude is probably our best down dlineman and will be drafted.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

GrantDuck wrote:Not worried about Popo. Very worried about Dorlus/Williams/KWH against the run. Haven't seen them hold the point of attack well at all.

Agreed regarding the run defense. Ika was a HUGE miss by Coach Joe, twice.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I like Dorlus and agree he'll be drafted some day, but he hasn't proven to be a run stuffer yet. Oregon State was knocking him off the ball last year.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

OregonFan4Life wrote: Agreed regarding the run defense. Ika was a HUGE miss by Coach Joe, twice.
I sure hope Big Joe can justify his salary this year. He's one of the highest paid DL coaches in the nation and I'm honestly not sure what he brings to the table.
Exceptional recruiting? :?
Game changing DL? :?

I'll give him credit where it's due - I think he's the recruiter for Halton and he helped reel in guys outside his position (maybe Funa, Sewell, and Sumataia). That's a pretty hefty price tag if that's all we're getting though. In the 2019 and 2020 cycles, I'm pretty sure we missed on multiple top DL targets and ended up settling for players late into the cycle. It's not all on him since I think the southeast region produces more quality interior DL than the west coast does but still. I'm just looking for a DL coach to coach a DL that does what it's supposed to do.

Fun fact: the Cal defensive line coach went to Lake Oswego High school :lol: :lol:
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Late thought about the spring game... was in CA for a few days but watched it later on Youtube. I mainly just watched the QBs, and I've got to say I can't remember ever seeing a spring game with such great-looking QBs from top to bottom. I'm not at all shocked that Shough transferred. I'm not going to say that Brown shouldn't be the starter, but man Butterfield looked surprisingly good! Hopefully Brown plays well or the calls for a QB change will make last season seem quaint.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

pezsez1 wrote:Late thought about the spring game... was in CA for a few days but watched it later on Youtube. I mainly just watched the QBs, and I've got to say I can't remember ever seeing a spring game with such great-looking QBs from top to bottom. I'm not at all shocked that Shough transferred. I'm not going to say that Brown shouldn't be the starter, but man Butterfield looked surprisingly good! Hopefully Brown plays well or the calls for a QB change will make last season seem quaint.
You mean 2022 predicted #1 draft pick Tyler Shough?

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022charlie.php
https://walterfootball.com/draft2022.php

I don't know if we can handle this loss to be honest.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck07 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:Late thought about the spring game... was in CA for a few days but watched it later on Youtube. I mainly just watched the QBs, and I've got to say I can't remember ever seeing a spring game with such great-looking QBs from top to bottom. I'm not at all shocked that Shough transferred. I'm not going to say that Brown shouldn't be the starter, but man Butterfield looked surprisingly good! Hopefully Brown plays well or the calls for a QB change will make last season seem quaint.
You mean 2022 predicted #1 draft pick Tyler Shough?

https://walterfootball.com/draft2022charlie.php
https://walterfootball.com/draft2022.php

I don't know if we can handle this loss to be honest.

I have nothing against Tyler, but I remember scouts saying Joey had a noodle arm. Joeys arm is a rocket compared to Tyler’s arm strength.