Oregon vs. Oregon (2pm 5/1, Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duckenstein
Freshman

Re: Oregon vs. Oregon (2pm 5/1, Pac-12 Network)

Post by Duckenstein »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:I've been half paying attention, but it seems like Butterfield is the clear QB1 in this game. Clearly Brown has the experience advantage.

WRs look amazing.
We do have to take into consideration Butterfield isn’t going against the starting defense. Not saying he isn’t better than Brown but it’s probably a little different going against the likes of Thibodeaux, Sewell, and Flowe.
No question that Brown has the lead. I just wonder if his ceiling is a little low and Butterfield and Thompson have such high ceilings they could challenge him this season
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Anybody know where Redd is? Hurt?
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’ve been really impressed with all of the QB’s today. Shough had no chance here, Brown, Butterfield, Thompson, and Ashford all look like upgrades over him.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I don’t know if we have had this much overall talent at WR. Williams, JJ3(yoked), Franklin, Thornton and Pittman all are very good. The QB room might be the most talented overall, since 1998. Unfortunately a couple of these guys will leave after 2022.

The LB, Flowe and Sewell are obviously going to be studs. But I thought Naverrette looked solid, as did LaDuke. The 2nd string DL owned the 2nd string OL.

Compared to the UW spring game, I’d say UO looks much better.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'd say this is Oregon's deepest batch of offensive skill players in a long time.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

Anyone else notice Johnny Johnson looked like a dam bodybuilder. His arms looked ridiculous!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Albeit against a depleted secondary, but WR/TE depth is insane.

Depth overall is so much better than years past.

Still worried about our interior DL guys against the run and still think Noah Sewell has to get better tackling consistently.

Overall, positive spring game though!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think one of the biggest differences, was the energy out there. The guys looked to be having fun out there. It was clear last year that it was absolutely a hollow shell of a season and the guys were not happy about it.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Just watched the highlights and there was a lot to be excited about.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Hodgepodge of observations-

*Verdell looked extra muscular. I don't know how much weight he's gained, but he looks like a bowling ball. He still runs off balance and tried to tackle himself a couple times. I've never understood that and still don't.

*Anthony Brown looked like QB1 to me with an obvious ceiling. That's pretty much what I've expected since he transferred (I think I've said "He's Darron Thomas" about a hundred times by now). 20-29, generally kept the ball out of harm's way. I know from his BC days that he can push the ball downfield more than what we saw yesterday.

*QB2-4 isn't settled, and doesn't need to be. If I have a game on the line and something happened to Brown, I would play Butters to secure the victory. If it's blowout city, I might play Thompson first, but potentially Ashford. Butters had one really good series to start but then threw some into coverage and looked a little shakier as things went on. Thompson threw dangerous passes that should've been picked off a number of times. Neither had elite accuracy but were alright to good. Ashford, I actually hoped he'd look worse so he could start getting reps at WR or DB (a centerfielder playing safety just makes all the sense in the world). But to my surprise, he had some moments. Given how little he's practiced, I was actually impressed, and I think you gotta continue to let him try QB because of the immense potential upside. He's clearly QB4 to me at this moment, but football is a developmental game.

*I would criticize the DB play but I recognize that a number of players were out. I'm concerned, though.

*I know the starting wide receivers are sort of entrenched, but it's going to be extremely hard to justify not having Hutson on the field. Troy Franklin is going to be an early round guy.

*Linebackers have tons of potential, but Sewell and others are still learning how to fit gaps and recognize running backs coming out of the backfield. Being huge doesn't make up for being in the wrong place.

*I didn't like the first series by our DL, but they appeared to tighten up. Still wait-and-see with that group.

*Kattlemonster

Edit: One last observation. Could the network have found two Oregon guys who know any less about this football team? That was so hard to listen to.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Hodgepodge of observations-

*Verdell looked extra muscular. I don't know how much weight he's gained, but he looks like a bowling ball. He still runs off balance and tried to tackle himself a couple times. I've never understood that and still don't.

*Anthony Brown looked like QB1 to me with an obvious ceiling. That's pretty much what I've expected since he transferred (I think I've said "He's Darron Thomas" about a hundred times by now). 20-29, generally kept the ball out of harm's way. I know from his BC days that he can push the ball downfield more than what we saw yesterday.

*QB2-4 isn't settled, and doesn't need to be. If I have a game on the line and something happened to Brown, I would play Butters to secure the victory. If it's blowout city, I might play Thompson first, but potentially Ashford. Butters had one really good series to start but then threw some into coverage and looked a little shakier as things went on. Thompson threw dangerous passes that should've been picked off a number of times. Neither had elite accuracy but were alright to good. Ashford, I actually hoped he'd look worse so he could start getting reps at WR or DB (a centerfielder playing safety just makes all the sense in the world). But to my surprise, he had some moments. Given how little he's practiced, I was actually impressed, and I think you gotta continue to let him try QB because of the immense potential upside. He's clearly QB4 to me at this moment, but football is a developmental game.

*I would criticize the DB play but I recognize that a number of players were out. I'm concerned, though.

*I know the starting wide receivers are sort of entrenched, but it's going to be extremely hard to justify not having Hutson on the field. Troy Franklin is going to be an early round guy.

*Linebackers have tons of potential, but Sewell and others are still learning how to fit gaps and recognize running backs coming out of the backfield. Being huge doesn't make up for being in the wrong place.

*I didn't like the first series by our DL, but they appeared to tighten up. Still wait-and-see with that group.

*Kattlemonster

Edit: One last observation. Could the network have found two Oregon guys who know any less about this football team? That was so hard to listen to.
Let me caveat my comments first by saying I only saw the first 10 minutes and then had to leave. Will watch the replay today but sheesh, seems like Nick and JK would have some good insights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I still think Ashford would be a stud LB or TE. In his photos last year next to Noah, he looked as big or bigger. Ashford is a monster, and really athletic.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »