Oregon vs. Oregon (2pm 5/1, Pac-12 Network)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Oregon vs. Oregon (2pm 5/1, Pac-12 Network)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Is it possible we're overrating the QB's because they didn't have to go against the starting CB's? Outside of Manning I personally thought the CB's looked really really bad. But then again, I can't tell how much of that is because the Oregon passing game is good.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Is it possible we're overrating the QB's because they didn't have to go against the starting CB's? Outside of Manning I personally thought the CB's looked really really bad. But then again, I can't tell how much of that is because the Oregon passing game is good.
My take on it was that the QBs and WR were only in position to show they were not awful, because of the competition. If they were ineffective against that secondary it would be truly awful. So we now know that they are somewhere in a range of "not awful" to "very good".
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think the CB/Nickel rotation is going to look something like this (if healthy)

CB: Mykael Wright
CB: DJ James
N: Jamal Hill

CB2: Avante Dickerson
CB2: Dontae Manning
N2: Bennett Williams (1st string safety)

CB3: Jaylin Davies
CB3: Trikweze Bridges
N3: ?

I think I'm higher on James than most (all the athleticism is there and he has an NFL ceiling, so it's a matter of when everything clicks to me), and so I actually feel great about the starting duo. I also like Manning, Davies, and Dickerson down the road - but will they get up to speed fast enough to not be liabilities this year? I don't know.

I like but don't love Hill at Nickel. I also don't see anyone as a natural backup there. Going to have to pull another safety or corner in to play the position, which can be detrimental to the development of younger guys who should focus on one spot until they nail it down, so I'm guessing Williams will rotate over from a safety spot.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Is it possible we're overrating the QB's because they didn't have to go against the starting CB's? Outside of Manning I personally thought the CB's looked really really bad. But then again, I can't tell how much of that is because the Oregon passing game is good.
My take on it was that the QBs and WR were only in position to show they were not awful, because of the competition. If they were ineffective against that secondary it would be truly awful. So we now know that they are somewhere in a range of "not awful" to "very good".
Coaches sat out: Mykael Wright, DJ James, Trikweze Bridges, Jamal Hill and we don't yet have Barkins or Dickerson on campus yet.

That's 5 scholarship CB and 1 Nickel guy.

The 'starters' were essentially both true freshman since Manning was hurt this past season. Beyond that, it was all just walk ons. I do think folks are overrating Butterfield a bit.
- He should have picked on a throw at the 5 yard line before halftime
- Threw behind receivers 2x in that same sequence
- Underthrew Ferguson on the long catch
- Was throwing against walk ons

He has a good arm and has great spin on his ball, but the folks that think he needs to start ASAP are a bit excitable about 5 good throws.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Side note, watched UW's spring game and you could tell how much less talented they are than us across the board right now.

They have a couple of monsters at TE and a decent running game. They will be their usual sound defensive team under Lake. Their talent at WR/LB/DL/OL though is just severely lacking.